#1 Posted by Billy Batson (57959 posts) - - Show Bio

So I just noticed that character and team pages have a section called "Recommended Reading".

Are we going to set some guidelines for those, ignore them, try to get rid of them or what?

BB

#2 Posted by pikahyper (11926 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: eventually we will have guidelines but at this point everything is a madhouse so we don't even know what staff want to use them for and it is a low priority compared to everything else, people keep editing the guides and I keep telling them to hold off until we figure things out.

#3 Posted by Billy Batson (57959 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright.

BB

#4 Posted by JediXMan (30348 posts) - - Show Bio

I assume this will replace the "major arcs" section seen in pages, but I'm not sure. I'm not touching the new stuff on this site until I get some clarification.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by pikahyper (11926 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: nah I don't think it will replace the major story arcs, the two are similar but serve different purposes.

#6 Edited by wmwadeii (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't Marvel/DC have a list of recommended reading for characters. Basically things they believe would be needed to understand who and where the character came from. I would assume these would be the best starting point.

#7 Posted by pikahyper (11926 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: they probably don't want to straight up copy stuff, we should be unique.

#8 Edited by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: they probably don't want to straight up copy stuff, we should be unique.

yeah. I it should be more like one of my Top 100 Stories Lists rather than just a boring copy/paste list. My two cents.

but like pika said we'll burn that bridge when we get to it when we find out about this aspect

#9 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by JediXMan (30348 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_poet:

While I would like a literal "recommended reading" list, it might leave too much room for interpretation and bias vandalism.

Moderator Online
#11 Edited by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio
@xanni15 said:

@the_poet: Nice plug. :P

I try...

@jedixman said:

@the_poet:

While I would like a literal "recommended reading" list, it might leave too much room for interpretation and bias vandalism.

See that's going to be the problem no matter how we operate this. If someone didn't like (grabbing a story out of the hat) Batman Incorporated then they could remove that story arc from recomended reading for Batman. So, yeah, that is the problem which we need to address...

Probably when things get less crazy we'll discuss this with G-man and such regarding how we should operate/regulate this. I suspect we'll have some sort of guide up at some point and set a system to which a story would be added and kept on the list of stories because not everyone likes (first story which came to mind) Batman Incorporated but there are some that do like that story.

If I were in charge I would make the editing setting similar to Aliases on non-character pages so only mods/staff could add stuff to the recomended reading. and then run stuff similar to my top 100 lists (sorry...I have to be THAT guy who is obsessed with lists :P ) where the community submits stories initally and vote for the ones to be on there. Like a certain number of voters gets a story in that section and then later users can petition to add a story to a list or something like that.

but yeah, right now I'm just throwing out ideas. Noticed today that someone added to Batman's page. Clearly stories like Year One or DKR would be on recommended reading no matter what, but the info, format and stories would be in question. So we will find out soon about what is wanted and add parameters so everyone knows what to expect. I hope it doesn't become something like the defalt images or info in the bio where users fight over it all and have edit battles over what should be kept and what should go, but we'll see. Like I said we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

#12 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

of course I suspect we'll still end up having edit battles no matter what but hopefully we can do something to decrease the likely hood of such things.

#13 Posted by JediXMan (30348 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_poet:

Hm. Perhaps. I guess we have to wait and see.

I still find it weird that the alias section is locked to mods / staff. It's just odd.

Moderator Online
#14 Edited by SC (12977 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this section could be broken up into mini sections. Lots of different fans have lots of different ways of reading comics and so you have more than a few way to recommend as well. Possibly could have a section with bullet points linking to TPB's, another where story arcs and issue numbers are given and explanations as to why they may be noteworthy to any fans of the character (this story arc explored the characters origin, and this story arc was critically acclaimed and was written by, and then this story arc featured the character as protagonist heavily) so on.

Consistency and conforming to a style guide would be great.

#15 Posted by pikahyper (11926 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: check the right side, there is a table of contents just like the original guides all ready for mini sections, clicking a section slides the user to the section.

#16 Edited by wmwadeii (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure how much editing it would take, but if the engineers could turn it into a list page where then as @sc: mentioned it would be setup by the fans and they could post their top lists. This way each would be separate from a end all be all list, and it would also prevent the editing wars that would go on with the current setup.