Plagiarism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Maybe he did the ones on Wik to?
Post Edited:2008-02-21 16:46:02

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By gmanfromheck

The really weird thing is there's no submission history on it in the edit page. Not sure when they were last updated. They could've been overwritten anonymously. No one gets points for that and maaaaybe they slipped by if it was early on. I don't know. I've never seen bad subs from him before.

And just remember that this thread is to point out the subs, not form a witch hunt. Just bring it to our attention and if you're able, try changing it if you have the information.

morte_rapida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By morte_rapida

Quick question, I know this is open to intepretation, but when someone is posting information for a character that is from another source, do you want them to just re-write it differently? The same info is the same info.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#154  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was piling on. What I meant was, is it possible that sometimes the info from Wik isn't plagiarized, that perhaps the same person did both write ups.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a87b18350ff9
deactivated-5a87b18350ff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambler says:

"I didn't mean for it to sound like I was piling on. What I meant was, is it possible that sometimes the info from Wik isn't plagiarized, that perhaps the same person did both write ups."

it's possible...everything on Wiki is plagiarized from somewhere else...only makes sense the comic book stuff would be taken from the Vine

Avatar image for midnight_lantern
Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to say I've done some Searching and almost all of the Spawn page has been Plagirized.

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aztek_the_lost says:

"Midnight Lantern says:
"I would like to say I've done some Searching and almost all of the Spawn page has been Plagirized."
then why don't you fix it?"

I don't read Spawn but I can take a Whack at it.

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aztek_the_lost says:

"Midnight Lantern says:
"aztek_the_lost says:
"Midnight Lantern says:
"I would like to say I've done some Searching and almost all of the Spawn page has been Plagirized."
then why don't you fix it?"
I don't read Spawn but I can take a Whack at it."
well then, maybe you should then find someone who can fix it...make a thread or something, just try and find a Spawn fanatic and tell them the entire page is plagiarized and they'll likely redo it"

Yeah, I'll do that or I'll take a Whack at it I guess.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Resonate

fesak says:

"http://www.comicvine.com/jesus-christ/21894/ And it's even the wrong character."

commits seppuku

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By gmanfromheck

Spawn has been messed up for a while. Surprised no one's made an attempt yet.

@Gambler: I wasn't saying you were piling on anyone. I was just trying to put it out there that we'd rather not have attacks. It wasn't geared towards you.

We are getting to the point where some of our stuff is being copied. That, in a way, is a good thing. Some older users have noticed their stuff appearing on others sites, whether it's text or a picture cropped a certain way. Other sites may not care where the info comes from but we want to pride ourselves on being different. There's no point in having 20 sites out there with the same exact information. We have stricter standards. Other sites don't care as long as they have content.

Superkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#165  Edited By Superkitty

G-Man says:

"[stuff deleted]We are getting to the point where some of our stuff is being copied. That, in a way, is a good thing. Some older users have noticed their stuff appearing on others sites, whether it's text or a picture cropped a certain way. Other sites may not care where the info comes from but we want to pride ourselves on being different. There's no point in having 20 sites out there with the same exact information. We have stricter standards. Other sites don't care as long as they have content. "

Should we alert someone here if we find copied stuff from other sites? Maybe admin or higher can talk to someone over there to get it down.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By gmanfromheck

I don't know if it'd really be worth getting into an argument over. It'd be more of a pain to prove which came first even if the person that wrote it was involved. If we can just put a stop to the plagiarism, we'll have the rep. of being an original site.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#168  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
Saul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Saul

Shatterstar says:

"Auron http://www.comicvine.com/auron/48863/ lameass video game entry complete with pointless point-whoring dropboxes, apparently hasn't appeared in any comics and the page is apparently completely ripped off of wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AuronHas this been brought up already, I don't see it in this thread? Anyone want to fess up?"

well the page was just edited recently...so maybe that is the reason it was not brought up

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Saul says:

"Shatterstar says:
"Auron http://www.comicvine.com/auron/48863/ lameass video game entry complete with pointless point-whoring dropboxes, apparently hasn't appeared in any comics and the page is apparently completely ripped off of wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AuronHas this been brought up already, I don't see it in this thread? Anyone want to fess up?"

well the page was just edited recently...so maybe that is the reason it was not brought up"

Thats how I noticed it, the reason I ask if its been brought up before is because it seems like theres a lot more there than the points that have been awarded. So maybe someone already got the points deducted. The two top point getters should definitely know better, one posted in this thread above and the other has been around enough to know better.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#171  Edited By Sparda

That page is wack for me. It won't even load half of it and the display is all gimpy.

Probably some weird HTML.....

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#172  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By zero edge

He's already been wiki banned... I think
Post Edited:2008-03-17 10:36:32

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#174  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

My CV homepage is Recent Edits and I saw Grunge as one when I logged out. I took a second to look at it (thinking it was about time someone did the page) and saw it was copied. He was the top contributor and I know he had problems before so I figured it was him. Looking at his submission history now though and it wasn't him. His last sub was 62 days ago. Must be someone else who was on the Grunge page or maybe it just never got deleted.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By zero edge

Yeah I think the plagiarism happened awhile ago. I'll delete the plagiarized text in a bit.

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Jax

Shatterstar says:

"Auron http://www.comicvine.com/auron/48863/ lameass video game entry complete with pointless point-whoring dropboxes, apparently hasn't appeared in any comics and the page is apparently completely ripped off of wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auron Has this been brought up already, I don't see it in this thread? Anyone want to fess up?"

The part I wrote wasn't completely ripped off from Wikipedia. I just wrote 2 paragraphs on the beginning events and I thought Auron was in a comic somewhere. I would think he is in the Kingdom hearts 2 manga.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Jax says:

"Shatterstar says:
"Auron http://www.comicvine.com/auron/48863/ lameass video game entry complete with pointless point-whoring dropboxes, apparently hasn't appeared in any comics and the page is apparently completely ripped off of wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auron Has this been brought up already, I don't see it in this thread? Anyone want to fess up?"

The part I wrote wasn't completely ripped off from Wikipedia. I just wrote 2 paragraphs on the beginning events and I thought Auron was in a comic somewhere. I would think he is in the Kingdom hearts 2 manga."

I went through the trouble of deleting everything that came from wiki I could find.

By the way for the of clueless ones- if you're finding you're getting submission after submission of "writing" rejected, maybe try checking the dozens of PMs flooding your way that go with those rejections as to why your dazzling paste jobs aren't going through.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#178  Edited By Iron Apollo

dazzling

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Methos

Shatterstar says:

"By the way for the of clueless ones- if you're finding you're getting submission after submission of "writing" rejected, maybe try checking the dozens of PMs flooding your way that go with those rejections as to why your dazzling paste jobs aren't going through."

yeah, but as we've seen before, the people who continually plagiarize stuff are... well, there's no nice way to put it, they have the IQ of dead rodents...

M

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Off topic. But is this ok pic to upload to Cap. Condfederacy's page? He does'nt have any pics.

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Methos says:

"Midnight Lantern says:
"Off topic. But is this ok pic to upload to Cap. Condfederacy's page? He does'nt have any pics."
I'll see if i can hunt down a better pic than that... M "

k. As long as I get the points lol.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Methos

Midnight Lantern says:

"Off topic. But is this ok pic to upload to Cap. Condfederacy's page? He does'nt have any pics."

I'll see if i can hunt down a better pic than that...

M

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question, If something like Etrigan's ryhme is taken from Wikipedia is it plagirizing? Because thats the ryhme he has to say to turn into Demon, So, If someone copied and pasted the Rhyme is it plagirism?

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Apparition

Midnight Lantern says:

"I have a question, If something like Etrigan's ryhme is taken from Wikipedia is it plagirizing? Because thats the ryhme he has to say to turn into Demon, So, If someone copied and pasted the Rhyme is it plagirism?"

i couldnt imagine that it would be. that would be the exact rhyme from the comic book, so its not like plagarizing it from wiki, it's more like quoting it from the comic.

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparition says:

"Midnight Lantern says:
"I have a question, If something like Etrigan's ryhme is taken from Wikipedia is it plagirizing? Because thats the ryhme he has to say to turn into Demon, So, If someone copied and pasted the Rhyme is it plagirism?"
i couldnt imagine that it would be. that would be the exact rhyme from the comic book, so its not like plagarizing it from wiki, it's more like quoting it from the comic."

Oh good.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Static Shock
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Midnight Lantern says:

No, thats the kind of thing you put in quotes, like Spider-Man's great power comes with blahblahblah, thats covered in http://www.comicvine.com/submission-guidelines/40430/ I highly recommend any new users that feel inclined to rely on internet sources to write overviews to read those guidelines before they do any submitting.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#189  Edited By fesak  Moderator  Online
RedGenesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By RedGenesis

fesak says:

"Shatterstar says:
"Yondu http://www.comicvine.com/yondu/2170//from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YonduDallas Riordantaken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_RiordanJohnny Quicktaken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_QuickAll apparantly done by user Mystic Cat http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/Mystic%20Cat/revision/ "

All of Mystic Cat's submissions seems to be plagiarized."

I was just about to inform this thread about Mystic Cat's submissions. I deleted a few of them, but there are too many for me to do right now. I do believe all those submissions..at least the character submissions... are plagiarized. I left a note with them just informing that this site doesn't work that way.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Methos

jesus...

right, i've got Tuesday off work, so i'll clear the day and go through every one of Mystic Cat's submissions...

cheers for the headsup Fesak

M

MotorSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By MotorSteel

Gambler says:

""

LMAO! XD that's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By gmanfromheck

I've done a little clean-up and tried to save what I could. Some pages completely wiped out and now in desperate need of write-ups are

Diamondback

Songbird

Etta Candy

Rond Vidor
Post Edited:2008-03-23 16:19:17

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By WARLOCK2792

G-Man says:

"I've done a little clean-up and tried to save what I could. Some pages completely wiped out and now in desperate need of write-ups are Diamondback Songbird Etta Candy Rond Vidor"
Do me a favor and get Jubilee. That's straight up wiki.
WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By WARLOCK2792

Plagiarism annoys me highly. To verify my many Storm and Ashake edits, I have to read, reread, and sometimes quote from the actual comics in order to put stuff in my own words. People are easily getting hundreds of points for something they only had to copy/paste.

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#196  Edited By Lady Tlieso

White Mage says:

"G-Man says:
"I've done a little clean-up and tried to save what I could. Some pages completely wiped out and now in desperate need of write-ups are Diamondback Songbird Etta Candy Rond Vidor"
Do me a favor and get Jubilee. That's straight up wiki."

ok that really ticks me off. i put a lot of work into that page & then someone else comes along & copies the entire thing from wikipedia. grr.

Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

Lady Tlieso says:

"White Mage says:
"G-Man says:
Do me a favor and get Jubilee. That's straight up wiki."

ok that really ticks me off. i put a lot of work into that page & then someone else comes along & copies the entire thing from wikipedia. grr."

That's a shame.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By WARLOCK2792

Lady Tlieso says:

"White Mage says:
"G-Man says:
Do me a favor and get Jubilee. That's straight up wiki. "
ok that really ticks me off. i put a lot of work into that page & then someone else comes along & copies the entire thing from wikipedia. grr."

What?! Ok, that's just messed up. A tip I have for everyone here, is to save your work in some sort of document like Microsoft Word, or Wordpad before you submit it. Lady T, I know it won't replace your hard work on Jubilee, but maybe it could help you in the future.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Resonate

what's up with the bold font?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers