Plagiarism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#551  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

The Background, Plot Summary, and Results sections of the Zero Hour story arc are copied from wikipedia, I think a couple parts might be reworded but the majority is exactly the same the user just changed the headers.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#552  Edited By Mercy_
@pikahyper Use the Pm all mods link and let them know. Pretty sire thats how we're supposed to be reporting it now, according to the FAQ that LAMP set up.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#553  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress: well I already told lamp last week, he probably forgot so I thought I would toss it out here :P
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#554  Edited By Mercy_
@pikahyper: I'd suggest PMing the mods using the link on this page, you should get quicker results that way. ^_^
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#555  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @pikahyper: I'd suggest PMing the mods using the link on this page, you should get quicker results that way. ^_^ "
done and done, it just feels rude to mass pm everybody :P
JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#556  Edited By JamesSpiring

I just added some links to the Atlas publisher page, but it sounded familiar as I read it... turns out it's plagarised from Wikipedia. Someone should rewrite it.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557  Edited By Mercy_
@digifiend Plagiarism is now being reported through the PM all mods link.
Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#558  Edited By Yumulu
@digifiend said:
" I just added some links to the Atlas publisher page, but it sounded familiar as I read it... turns out it's plagarised from Wikipedia. Someone should rewrite it. "
Meh everything on TimGrayson page seem to be from the other pedia, that would probly explain why he seems to be wiki ban
JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559  Edited By JamesSpiring
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @digifiend Plagiarism is now being reported through the PM all mods link. "
OK, I've just done that.
jrh7925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#560  Edited By jrh7925

*sigh* I came across two character pages today that were either plagiarized from dc.wikia.com or vise versa. Is this a common occurrence with the DC wiki and the Marvel one? Is there any way to know which came first? As for the two pages ( Anima and Conduit), I am re-writing them to fit the new standards and they will be fixed soon, so no real need to report.

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561  Edited By JamesSpiring

While it's easy to find out when the Wikia version was made (you can check the history), since we can't do that here, we can't tell when the page was first plagarised - which of course isn't necessarily when it was created, although it often will be.

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#562  Edited By Yumulu
JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#563  Edited By JamesSpiring
@Yumulu said:
" Gilgamesh is plagiarised from marvel wiki "
Ahem...
@The Dark Huntress said: 

@digifiend Plagiarism is now being reported through the PM all mods link. "

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#564  Edited By turoksonofstone
chrisburgess99 
Seems to be Copying/Pasting pages from other sites and pasting over the existing CV Wiki pages.
for example Green Giant there are others..
JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565  Edited By JamesSpiring
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#566  Edited By Billy Batson

When you copy from one site it's plagiarism. When you copy from many sites it's research ;)

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567  Edited By JamesSpiring
@Billy Batson: Yeah, as a general rule, if you don't copy and paste, it's OK. If you take info from another site, always rewrite it in your own words.
Mighty Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#568  Edited By Mighty Max

Is copying and pasting stuff from one page on this site to another page on this site plagiarism? (Because technically it is but it doesn't have the same ramifications as with copying from elsewhere, so is it allowed?) I ask because I've noticed that somebody recently has been copying the big list of powers and abilities section of the green power ring concept page and pasting it into the powers and abilities sections of every green lantern page. Should this be done?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#569  Edited By Kallarkz
@Mighty Max said:

" Is copying and pasting stuff from one page on this site to another page on this site plagiarism? (Because technically it is but it doesn't have the same ramifications as with copying from elsewhere, so is it allowed?) I ask because I've noticed that somebody recently has been copying the big list of powers and abilities section of the green power ring concept page and pasting it into the powers and abilities sections of every green lantern page. Should this be done? "

I asked and i was told that as long as it did not come from another site it was fine.
=)
 ahh and by the way...i edited the majority of those powers for the ring...so i would have had to have plagarized myself o.O.... Just like i edited the set up the  powers of the Asgardians and as well as the characters of the Marvel Family.
I have even received thanks from some of the more prominent GL fans as they can now see a list of the abilities of the GLs on their favorite characters list as well as a description of the constructs that they typically use.

P.S I set up the Norse god power set earlier today, did the Marvel family set the other day, have been working on the Gods of Greece in the Marvel Universe the last couple of days.
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#570  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
@Mighty Max: @Kallarkz:
 Things like the GL Ring are fine. There are only so many ways to say what the ring can do, and as Kallarkz said he did do most of the work on the original page in the first place. Character info is a slightly different matter, but a lot of this is a case-by-case thing.

Again, the big problem is really when the info is coming from another site.
jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#571  Edited By jordama
@Icarusflies: @Mighty Max: @Kallarkz:

Aren't we supposed to avoid copy pasting from one page to another because the wiki are supposed to be writen about what the characters contribution was not an overall summary?
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#572  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
@jordama: @Kallarkz: @Mighty Max: 
Yes, that's why plot summaries, etc aren't supposed to be copy/pasted. Powers are somewhat different.
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#573  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I don't agree.

If you copy someone elses work, it is plagiarism, either from our site or another.

Also, as far as I know, we want the content on our site to be unique. This includes info from our site. I was told as an editor that even if the info/history is the same, find another way to write it.

Copying and pasting info you wrote "the majority" of seems like point spamming to me as well. I mean, a 40 or so point paragraph copied on to dozens or hundreds of GL pages?

Plagiarism rule of thumb: write it in your own words and no issue will ever come up.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#574  Edited By Kallarkz
For example look at Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel, and Freedy Freeman. Their powers list i did as well (as well as Osiris and Black Adam) it would have taken me so long to rewrite what I had already written.

I could reverse the process but I have received remarks from GL fans that it makes their pages seem more unique instead of adding a link at the end.
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#575  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@Kallarkz: Reversal not necessary. Without looking, I have no doubt it is helpful and useful information, info every page should have.

My point is try to be unique. Not every GL needs to have a full powers section. Not all Green Lanterns are created equal and many have minimal appearances. It's always best to include what powers a character is known to have. Sure, it's safe to assume every GL has the same powers because of the rings capabilities, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

Even if two characters basically have the same powers, it's always good to make information personal to a character. Like icarus said, there is only so much you can say sometimes about powers, but there is always a way to make it unique.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576  Edited By Kallarkz
@jloneblackheart said:

Sure, it's safe to assume every GL has the same powers because of the rings capabilities, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

"
A point that I actually make very often on the battle forums. Will do sir.
lokiofmidgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#577  Edited By lokiofmidgaard

Huge swathes of the Doctor (as in Doctor Who) page http://www.comicvine.com/the-doctor/29-33354/ are clearly copied from the Marvel Appendix's Doctor entry. http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/doctorwh.htm 

e.g. Comicvine 

First Appearance:

• Television: An Unearthly Child, BBC1 (23rd November 1963)
  • Comics: The Klepton Parasites, TV Comic #674 (14th November 1964)
  • Marvel UK: The Iron Legion, Doctor Who Weekly #1 (17th October 1979)
  • Marvel US: The Iron Legion, Marvel Premiere #57 (December 1980)
  • First Interaction with Marvel Universe Character: The Neutron Knights, Doctor Who Monthly #60 (January 1982)

Appendix 

First Appearance

Television: An Unearthly Child, BBC1 (23rd November 1963);

Comics: The Klepton Parasites, TV Comic#674 (14th November 1964);

Marvel UK: The Iron Legion, Doctor Who Weekly#1 (17th October 1979)

Marvel US: The Iron Legion, Marvel Premiere#57 (December 1980)

First Interaction with Marvel Universe Character: The Neutron Knights, Doctor Who Monthly#60 (January 1982) 

Okay, first appearance info isn't unique, but having the exact same breakdown in the exact same format and the exact same order?  

Another example: 

Comicvine:  
Rassilon turned his efforts to conquering this new danger, his answer to the threat toward his people was to create vast looms of primordial soup, capable of ‘decanting’ new Gallifreyan’s from the genetic material contained within. The first seven ‘loom born’ were named the ‘Special Executive’, but there was a problem, as more and more of the ‘loom born’ were created, their telepathic powers lessened, eventually becoming nonexistent. They also had lesser life spans, living now mere millennia but now could ‘regenerate’ their forms to live more millennia time and time again.

To combat the now growing ‘over crowding’ problem the Gallifreyan’s had themselves created, Rassilon created the Gallifreyan Houses, and decreed that each House could only have forty five ‘cousins’ at any one time.  

Appendix: 

Rassilon turned his attention to this problem, and created vast Looms of genetic material, capable of decanting new Gallifreyans from the primordial soup within. His first few prototypes of the new "Loom-born" Gallifreyans would eventually become known as the Special Executive. The later Loom-born had lesser telepathic abilities and shorter life spans than their Womb-born counterparts, but could regenerate their forms. To keep the population under control, Rassilon organised the Gallifreyans into Houses, and decreed that each House could have only 45 "Cousins" at any one time 

The Comicvine version is slightly rephrased, but it hits the exact same beats in the exact same order, and was clearly copied from the Appendix.  

And one more example (there's plenty more, but I think the point is made): 
Comicvine  
Back on Gallifrey, Rassilon was a hero; he had brought the Gallifreyan’s into a new prosperous age. A decade after the death of Pythia he ordered a massacre of her remaining followers, killing all who now stood in the way of ‘scientific progress’. He felt no pity towards her acolytes, now knowing that his wife had miscarried, and his child was dead now because of the curse. ‘The Other’ could not stand for the new view on life, the Gallifreyan’s were turning into a militaristic people and were conquering new galaxies every day to ease the spread of their ever growing population. He carried his sole surviving relative and his granddaughter Susan to a far off galaxy before throwing himself into the Loom’s, now mixing his own genetic material with the primordial soup that was within. 

Appendix 
Back on Gallifrey Rassilon had become a hero, and de facto ruler of the planet. Some nine years after the death of the Pythia, he ordered a massacre of her remaining followers who were hiding in her temple. Rassilon felt no pity for her acolytes as his wife had miscarried when the Pythia invoked her curse, but the Other could not stomach the new, totalitarian regime he could see taking over his world. He ordered that his sole surviving relative (and the last child who had been born before the curse), his grand-daughter Susan, be taken safely off-world, for he saw trouble in his planet's future, and then he committed suicide by throwing himself into the Looms, mixing his genetic material with what was already there. 

Ironically, the rephrasings made by the plagiarist have caused errors - the Other didn't personally take Susan off-planet, and though he ordered it done, it didn't actually happen. And in the second example cited, the amendments made to make the plagiarism less obvious added that the Gallifreyan's telepathic powers became non-existent, which isn't true - they remain telepathic, just not as powerful as their ancestors.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#578  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@lokiofmidgaard said:

Huge swathes of the Doctor (as in Doctor Who) page http://www.comicvine.com/the-doctor/29-33354/ are clearly copied from the Marvel Appendix's Doctor entry. http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/doctorwh.htm 

e.g. Comicvine 

First Appearance:

• Television: An Unearthly Child, BBC1 (23rd November 1963)
  • Comics: The Klepton Parasites, TV Comic #674 (14th November 1964)
  • Marvel UK: The Iron Legion, Doctor Who Weekly #1 (17th October 1979)
  • Marvel US: The Iron Legion, Marvel Premiere #57 (December 1980)
  • First Interaction with Marvel Universe Character: The Neutron Knights, Doctor Who Monthly #60 (January 1982)

Appendix 

First Appearance

Television: An Unearthly Child, BBC1 (23rd November 1963);

Comics: The Klepton Parasites, TV Comic#674 (14th November 1964);

Marvel UK: The Iron Legion, Doctor Who Weekly#1 (17th October 1979)

Marvel US: The Iron Legion, Marvel Premiere#57 (December 1980)

First Interaction with Marvel Universe Character: The Neutron Knights, Doctor Who Monthly#60 (January 1982) 

Okay, first appearance info isn't unique, but having the exact same breakdown in the exact same format and the exact same order?  

The other stuff is pretty bad but for the appearances I think that is ok and they would have to be in the same exact order because the first appearances are listed chronologically, wouldn't make sense to have it any other way, that first interaction part does take it a bit too far though lol.
lokiofmidgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#579  Edited By lokiofmidgaard

That's my point - having the same first appearance information in the same order could have just been coincidence, as it's the logical order. But having it word for word identical, not so much as a variation in date formatting, punctuation (not even US vs U.S.), and so on - it's definitely plagiarised, and once you take that on board, the heavy similarities in the rest of the text immediately become harder to dismiss as coincidence.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#580  Edited By Mercy_

ALL PLAGIARISM IS NOW BEING REPORTED THROUGH THE PM ALL MODS LINK FOUND IN THE OP OF THE MEET THE MODS THREAD AND THE OP OF RED LAMP'S WIKI FAQ THREAD. 

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#581  Edited By GC8

The Iris West Allen page: http://www.comicvine.com/iris-west-allen/29-9977/

is plagiarized from Wikipedia.

It is also factually incorrect, stating that "Iris didn't stay dead for long" in fact Iris was killed in 1979 and was not brought back until late 1985 - which is quite long for a comic character.

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#582  Edited By Yumulu

@etragedy said:

The Iris West Allen page: http://www.comicvine.com/iris-west-allen/29-9977/

is plagiarized from Wikipedia.

It is also factually incorrect, stating that "Iris didn't stay dead for long" in fact Iris was killed in 1979 and was not brought back until late 1985 - which is quite long for a comic character.

It user RedK ; he probably already been called on it because most of his pages are already rewritten. Still after a quick search found 2 copy paste from Wikipedia so there probably others... some of his pages even have the Wikipedia link on it -.- that subtlety for ya.

Maddie Warner

Ramjet

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#583  Edited By GC8

@Yumulu: Ugh. Well, I'm not really concerned with who did it. I'd just like to see these pages fixed or added to the task queue ASAP. :-/

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#584  Edited By ssejllenrad

For pity's sake people! If you don't know how to write your own stuff, just include the source of where you copied things and it will be cool.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#585  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@ssejllenrad said:

For pity's sake people! If you don't know how to write your own stuff, just include the source of where you copied things and it will be cool.

Actually no it won't be cool, other then official solicits any text content here is supposed to be unique to CV so quoting a source on a CV wiki page is still a big no no.

peregrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 56

#586  Edited By peregrine

Aquaboy. first I'm not sure if this is even a real character, and secondly after a quick google search found that the main text is copied from a dc fan site

http://www.superbuddies.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12336&start=20

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#587  Edited By Mercy_

This thread should probably be unpinned.

@etragedy: @Yumulu: @etragedy: @ssejllenrad: @Peregrine: Plagiarism is now being reported to mods by PM. You can find a link to PM all mods here.

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#588  Edited By GC8

@The Dark Huntress: Does that mean I need to resubmit that page to the mod link - or is it already known because of this thread and I just should use the mod submit next time?

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#589  Edited By Yumulu

@The Dark Huntress said:

@etragedy: @Yumulu: @etragedy: @ssejllenrad: @Peregrine: Plagiarism is now being reported to mods by PM. You can find a link to PM all mods here.

Until an actual mod say so here or close this thread I don't see why people should stop posting it here.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#590  Edited By Mercy_

@Yumulu said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

Until an actual mod say so here or close this thread I don't see why people should stop posting it here.

Is Red LAMP saying it good enough for you?

Do not Plagiarize
  • This means do not copy and paste text from Wikipedia -- or anywhere else -- into our site.
  • If you are caught plagiarizing your points will be brought back to ZERO (You’ll get a PM first).
  • Report plagiarism to the mods over a PM here: PM Mods
GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#591  Edited By GC8

@The Dark Huntress: I believe you. I will use that link next time. The question is do I need to report the page above or not?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#592  Edited By Mercy_

@etragedy said:

@The Dark Huntress: I believe you. I will use that link next time. The question is do I need to report the page above or not?

Sorry @_@ Completely forgot to reply to that.

I'd report it just to be sure.

toxin45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#593  Edited By toxin45

i swore never to do it again and that got me banned

Tigerstriper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594  Edited By Tigerstriper

While I was working on the Iceman page, I opened up wikipedia to check for accuracy, (my memory stinks at times) and found that both articles were too alike for my tastes. It was around the section that goes into the Graydon Creed campaign, I rewrote comicvine's article a little, but I still felt that I should say something.

Wikipedia Iceman

Comicvine Iceman

I don't know who copied who, but it bugged me once I realized it.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#595  Edited By Mercy_

Please report all plagiarism to the moderators through PM at this point forward. A link can be found in the first post of this thread, although it's not complete. For a list of all the current moderators, check here.