Plagarism

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Valkaad

I just saw a character entry that is word for word copied straight out of the Original Marvel Universe. Should I notify G-Man, Captain Cascader, Red lamp?

Avatar image for the_mighty_thor
The Mighty Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The Mighty Thor

yea

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Valkaad

I dont want to rat anybody out, but I also don't want the site to get shutdown or for things to start getting pulled because of plagarism.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Forever

I would think that you would have to, to protect the integrity of the site.

Avatar image for the_mighty_thor
The Mighty Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The Mighty Thor

Forever says:

"I would think that you would have to, to protect the integrity of the site."

yea what he said and maybe you can convince the staff members to give that guy a warning

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Valkaad

The proper authorities have been notified, you can all go about your regular duties.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Forever

Sounds good. Love the Korvac by the way.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Valkaad says:

"I dont want to rat anybody out, but I also don't want the site to get shutdown or for things to start getting pulled because of plagarism."

Never an issue, we don't want people plagerising. If the person who did it has a problem, tough, they know the rules. You can delete it yourself and put a note to say that's the reason.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#9  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I always just PM G-Man (since he's here more) straight away and let him deal with it.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By fesak  Moderator

But what if other wiki sites start to plagiarize us?

Many images that i've scanned and photoshopped has started to pop up on wikipedia and other sites, images that i've only uploaded here. It seems likely that people will start copying texts from here too.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#11  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I felt proud when one of my Mr. Majestic images (knew it was mine because of how it was cropped) showed up on another site.

Superkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Superkitty

fesak says:

"But what if other wiki sites start to plagiarize us?Many images that i've scanned and photoshopped has started to pop up on wikipedia and other sites, images that i've only uploaded here. It seems likely that people will start copying texts from here too."

I'd contact one of the owners of this site (Red Lamp or Captain Cascader) if there's something somewhere else you don't want. I'd point to the text, etc. and the website. Text can be a lot easier to prove than pictures. I would imagine Wiki would frown on such things, and it may be taken out or credit given to the original submitter - but I don't know Comivine's view on having things on other sites, though. Technically all the stuff here is their property and they may not want it elsewhere.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I would imagine text we could get them to take down, since it's original work (hopefully), but any images probably belong to someone else and we're using it under the assumption of fair use. It's complicated, but basically it boils down to 'we're not hurting them so they leave us alone'. This is the legal thing for comic book pictures on our favourite contrib- website:

This image is from a comic strip, webcomic or from the cover or interior of a comic book. The copyright for this image is most likely owned by either the publisher of the comic or the writer(s) and/or artist(s) which produced the comic in question. It is believed that

the use of low-resolution images of the cover of a comic book to illustrate:

the issue of the comic book in question;

the periodical comic book series of which this issue is a part; or

the copyrighted comic book character(s) or group(s) on the cover of the issue in question;

or the use of low-resolution images of a single panel from a comic strip or an interior page of a comic book to illustrate:

the scene or storyline depicted, or

the copyrighted character(s) or group(s) depicted on the excerpted panel in question;

where no free alternative exists or can be created,

on the English-language Wikipedia, hosted on servers in the United States by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation,

qualifies as fair use under United States copyright law. Any other uses of this image, on Wikipedia or elsewhere, may be copyright infringement. See Wikipedia:Non-free content and Wikipedia:WikiProject Comics/copyright for more information.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

I don't think i've ever heard of picture plagiarism before. Other than scanning whole pages or whatever. Seems if you scan something and it winds up somewhere else, congrats you contributed to the internet. Same with text that comes from here. I think the only thing we should be concerned about is people plagiarizing text from other sites and posting it here. There's already a dozen sites that basically mirror what wikipedia and other sources post, there'd be no point to create another one here except cheap traffic.

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rotten gun

I just saw a character entry that is word for word copied straight out of the Original Marvel Universe. Should I notify G-Man, Captain Cascader, Red lamp?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fesak  Moderator

I don't really care about the image thing, my point was that it seems likely that people will start copying texts from here too. In which case it'll be hard to prove who was first.

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rotten gun

I don't really care about the image thing, my point was that it seems likely that people will start copying texts from here too. In which case it'll be hard to prove who was first.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I don't really care about the image thing, my point was that it seems likely people will start copying texts from here too. In which case it'll be hard to prove who was first.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Apparition

I don't think i've ever heard of picture plagiarism before. Other than scanning whole pages or whatever. Seems if you scan something and it winds up somewhere else, congrats you contributed to the internet. Same with text that comes from here. I think the only thing we should be concerned about is people plagiarizing text from other sites and posting it here. There's already a dozen sites that basically mirror what wikipedia and other sources post, there'd be no point to create another one here except cheap traffic

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By The_Ghostshell

LMAO.

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rotten gun

i feel violated :(

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fesak  Moderator

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

King of Kings says:

"LMAO."

Yea this is obviously more valuable to the site than a contribution.

postcount +1