New Table For Issue Cover Details

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

Ok I was supposed to do this like a month ago but I've been busy so here it is :D

Since we don't have a visible caption area for issue covers I figured we shouldn't waste the perfectly good data that many users like to see, cover details, so basically the table is a four column table with however many rows based on the number of covers, example & example.

The headers for the table should always be the same as to not confuse people so the four headers would be Cover, Name, Creator(s) and Sidebar Location.

The Cover column holds the cover designation: A, B, C, 1, 2, 3, Reg, Pull, Sub, Wrap, Virgin, RI, RE, Sketch, 2nd Print, 3rd Print, Var, etc. The order of variants varies by publisher but generally it goes from most common to most rare descending. The label for each cover designation should be what that publisher generally uses.

The second column is for the Name of the cover if it has one or a short description can be used, this is also where you would add ratio and/or limited edition numbers.

Third column is for the cover Creators, if a cover has more then one creator then a role initial is tacked on: artist (a), colorist (c), inker (i), penciler (p), photographer (ph), model (m), etc. if the role is known. If the creator is unknown this field should not be left empty so just use Unknown (if you don't know), Unlisted (if it's not listed in the credits) or ? (for a general catch all).

Fourth column is for the location in the sidebar i.e. the cover stack on the right. If a cover is missing it should be marked as Missing.

So far the cover table has been very beneficial since the associated creators can get cluttered with multiple roles, this table is optional so if any editors don't want to add it that is fine, I hope more editors will use it though so if you add covers and you see the table I do ask that you please add the details to the table so that the data and order stays accurate. Also I think it goes without saying but if an issue only has a single cover the table isn't needed and if the issue does have a couple covers but they are by the same exact creator and there is nothing special (i.e. two regular covers) the table isn't really necessary again.

If a cover takes more then one spot it only gets one row in the table (front and back) unless each side has different creators then it is ok to use two rows but try to keep it to one row per cover, if there are multiple images like a front, back and/or full cover and they are the same creator or part of a wraparound both numbers would go in the same row like 1 & 2 or 1-3 for front/back/front, example (bottom). Merged covers should not be included in the table since it is semi redundant, the location in the sidebar can just be skipped.

If you have any questions just post them below and here are more examples broken down by publisher:

I've been adding the tables for a couple months now so they are sprinkled all over.

Here is a (maybe complete) list of roles:

• (a) artist
  • (c) colorist
  • (d) designer
  • (i) inker
  • (l) letterer
  • (ld) logo designer
  • (p) penciler
  • (ph) photographer
  • (m) model
  • (t) toner
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

The table header that says "List of covers and their creators:" is an h4.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Saren
Loading Video...

Got the Simpsons clip in before Batson!

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pikahyper  Moderator

lol

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

I just added the cover details to the following issue and have some questions:

a) The publisher (Black Mask Studios) calls the generic variant covers "Tour" Variant covers but I guess these are Retailer Exclusive Editions. Do we stick to the publisher's term or use the more general "Retailer Exclusive Edition - ..."

b) As for the creator(s) the publisher's website shows this information:

• ‘Suspiria variant’ – Shaky Kane, designed by Matt Pizzolo

• ‘Tour variant’ – designed by Soul Temple & Matt Pizzolo

How do we handle the "designer"? Should we add a "(d)" as role initial for designer?

• Shake Kane (a) & Matt Pizzolo (d)
  • Soul Temple (d) & Matt Pizzolo (d)

Somehow designer is similar to creator but the "c" is already used for colorist for obvious reasons.

c) Should these "Tour" Variants be in alphabetical order or in order of the Sidebar Location? This, sometimes (meaning always) is the most difficult part as one has to scroll the page up and down several times and it's easy to confuse the information and location number that's why I'd prefer in order of Sidebar Location but I bet you'd like it the other way.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

@donfelipe: a. Stick to the publishers terminology in the Name field for sure but in the Cover column use the more widely known terminology so for those covers Cover would be RE and Name would "Tour" Variant - Store Name. I like that publishers use their own terminology as it tends to be more descriptive but it can be hard to remember when you are not looking at official issue credits.

b. (d) for designer sounds good to me, I can't think of a role it would conflict with, I don't think I've seen designer used but I've seen "idea" in some Italian comics lol.

c. Generally I do put them in alpha order just to keep things easy to find, if you like I can delete all of the covers and you can reupload them one at a time in order so that they match the table, that's usually how I fix the sidebar so it isn't wildly out of order.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DonFelipe

@pikahyper: a) Okay. Then the "RE" covers will come before the "Var".

b) Okay. Perhaps you should add the extra information to the list of role initials in your first post (above).... (d) for designer and creative idea. :)

c) Yes, please delete all of them except for the regular cover (though it's not the final image used for the regular issue and cover; a "featuring" is missing) and I'll bring them into the proper order.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pikahyper  Moderator

@donfelipe: RE covers should be after regular variants.

ok I deleted all of the extras, go ahead and replace the main cover if you can and I'll delete the pre-release one.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There Can Be Only One Highlander but thanks to Dynamite there are plenty of variant covers, too. So I'm just about to add the cover details table to older Dynamite volumes such as Highlander and there's a couple of questions - see issue #1:

1. RRP (Retailer Roundtable Program) Edition - Is using RRP as cover initials ok or would it be RI instead? It's the first time I've come across such cover.

2. According to Dynamite's website there's a few very rare covers (gold foil and signed) based on existing covers; here Cover C. Should these rare covers be added to the tables with the number in Sidebar Location pointing to the regular Cover C?

3. Some of the images show watermarks (mycomicshop). I did not upload any of these covers but I'll try to find better images later...

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pikahyper  Moderator

@donfelipe:

1. RRP is perfect, the initials should basically be whatever the cover is, something that can be a short code to designate something, sometimes you have to use a full word like with most Avatar comics: Wrap for the Wraparound cover, Gore for the Gore cover, Terror for the Terror cover, etc., there is no real initials for them that would be clear so I've stuck to a single word in those instances.
  2. Alternate versions like that should always get their own row, what you call them depends on what they are, it has been a long time but if I remember correctly most of the gold foil ones were retailer incentives based on orders, some of the signed ones were like retailer appreciation freebies if you ordered a lot but the majority of signed ones were Dynamic Forces with a certificate of authenticity.
  3. Lot of watermarked covers still exist on the site from the olden days, I don't like just deleting them if I don't have a replacement, that's why I don't get rid of them when I see them cause users deserve to see all the covers but if you can find replacements please do.
cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By cloudguy

Should another column be added if a variant has an alternate release date? As one comic released on the 16th and the variants on the 18th.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: no, the table doesn't work very well with five columns, if you want to include the info (you don't need to) it should probably be added in the name field like Variant Name (Release Date: XX/XX/XXXX).

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

Right ok, I'll add it like that then. Thanks.

m2ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By m2ak

@pikahyper Hey i have added 2 Indian publishers and now would like to add characters and respective issues ,But its not working there's no button like "Add Character" and "Add Issues" please point me towards the right direction so that i can work it out.

Best

AK

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@m2ak: The wiki is broken up into sections; publishers, volumes, issues, characters, etc. they are all different sections so to add a new volume to put issues in you have to go to Wiki>Volumes and in the right sidebar there is a button to add a new volume, you then add the title, the first issues cover and a reason to add it and once it goes through moderation you will be able to access the volume to put issues in it at which point you will see the Add issue button.

It is the same principle for characters, Wiki>Characters>button in the sidebar, once the character goes through moderation and is indexed you can then add it to issues from the issue page itself, there are sections for associations so you would go to the Characters section on the issue page and type the character name and search will pull it up and then you select it.