Main Picture Changing Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#301  Edited By Mercy_

@fesak said:

@IrishX said:
"

Done.

Fesak, I feel the same way about Warpath's main image. I'm sick of his main picture being a three-headed being. Domino and Angel should not be a part of his main image (It's actually a good image but just really shouldn't be his main). Someone is seriously obsessed about making it be though.

"
No doubt it's a great pic, but you're right it should not be his main pic. People should be aware that they can be banned for abusing the ability to change the overview pics

But without a revision history in place, how do you even know who's changing it in order to ban them?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#303  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@aztek the lost said:

even with the revision history, we don't know...changing the default image isn't a submission and never was included in the revision history

well isn't that a b!tch, would it show in the sitewide activity feed? users>activity feed
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@aztek the lost said:

nope, choosing an image to be a default image isn't an official "activity", it's like clicking on the "Forums" tab...no trace...they could always change that but as of right now, there's no real way to catch anyone

that would not be an easy change to make to the system :(
JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#306  Edited By JamesSpiring
@aztek the lost said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

even with the revision history, we don't know...changing the default image isn't a submission and never was included in the revision history

Well it ought to be. Get the development team to fix that please.
Nod-Nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By Nod-Nolan
darkabyss84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#308  Edited By darkabyss84

Could someone please change Sofia's image to this one

Thanks!

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#309  Edited By Baddamdog
@darkabyss84: done!
MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#310  Edited By MrUnknown

The Emma picture is crappy again ;(

striker77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#311  Edited By striker77
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By Mercy_

@striker77: Done and done. Good choices :)

TugboatRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By Mercy_

Done.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By CATPANEXE
JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By JamesSpiring
@CATPANEXE: Done!
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By Mercy_

Done and done.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#320  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Everyone: remember the pic should be of current appearance. This includes Juggernaut.

lordmagnusen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By lordmagnusen

Diego Jourdan has asked me to replace his "public relations" picture, IE, the one in the Vine Wiki; for a new one (I uploaded it [url=http://www.comicvine.com/diegojourdan2/105-1893701/]here[/url]); he's authorized this picture to be used for all promotional, information, and educational needs, and it's taken by his girlfriend. I'd be grateful if someone with enough points could change it.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By fesak  Moderator
@lordmagnusen said:
Diego Jourdan has asked me to replace his "public relations" picture, IE, the one in the Vine Wiki; for a new one (I uploaded it [url=http://www.comicvine.com/diegojourdan2/105-1893701/]here[/url]); he's authorized this picture to be used for all promotional, information, and educational needs, and it's taken by his girlfriend. I'd be grateful if someone with enough points could change it.
Check.
lordmagnusen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By lordmagnusen
@fesak: Thanks man! And seeing your avatar pic, you might like this one: http://lordmagnusen.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=baby#/d1cebvz
drbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#324  Edited By drbat

Can someone make this the main image for Osiris? It's not perfect, but the current one has him as White Lantern, which is not his normal costume.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#325  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@DrBat: Done.
Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#326  Edited By Izaiah
TugboatRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By TugboatRogers

A few... 

Spirit of '76http://www.comicvine.com/spirit-of-76/29-44573/all-images/108-217577/naslund/105-1902523/ (it's not great but anything's better than a pic from the handbooks) 

Nuke http://www.comicvine.com/nuke/29-41866/all-images/108-199623/nuke/105-1902489/  (current image is great but it's just a bit tall i feel) 

Jack Monroe - http://www.comicvine.com/jack-monroe/29-7618/all-images/108-218868/nomad/105-1902530/ (more recent, and the most recent story involved him in this guise)  

Battlestar http://www.comicvine.com/battlestar/29-13744/all-images/108-218825/battlestar/105-1902543/ (most recent appearance)

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328  Edited By Rheged

How the heck can someone change the main picture, if the picture isn't in the gallery?  Someone keeps changing Namor's main picture to the speedo.  And as much as I love that costume, it's not really his current costume.  After going around and around with this person, I just finally deleted the Turner cover they kept putting up there.  But now, it's back again, and that picture isn't in Namor's gallery!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#329  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@Rheged said:
How the heck can someone change the main picture, if the picture isn't in the gallery?  Someone keeps changing Namor's main picture to the speedo.  And as much as I love that costume, it's not really his current costume.  After going around and around with this person, I just finally deleted the Turner cover they kept putting up there.  But now, it's back again, and that picture isn't in Namor's gallery!
First off, no matter how much you may hate an image someone keeps posting you can't just go around deleting the image. I hate it when people do that and it's just silly and childish because they can simply upload the image again after you delete it. If you're having a problem, PM a Mod.
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#330  Edited By Aiden Cross

Have to agree with War Killer you can't just delete pictures from the gallery just because someone sets it as his main image.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@War Killer@Aiden Cross: Nobody said they hated the image, Rheged said that the image does not reflect Namor's current costume, big difference.
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@pikahyper said:
@War Killer@Aiden Cross: Nobody said they hated the image, Rheged said that the image does not reflect Namor's current costume, big difference.
Either way, the point is that you can't just delete an image just because someone keeps changing it to the main image. If you feel it doesn't reflect the character or is breaking any of the rules then simply change it. If someone keeps changing it then you should PM a wiki Mod and ask them for help, but you shouldn't just go around deleting images simply because you don't like it or disagree with it.
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#333  Edited By Aiden Cross
@pikahyper: and deleted the picture from the gallery because of it, while there's nothing wrong with the picture itself. plus i said nothing about hating a picture.
talon_x23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#334  Edited By talon_x23
@pikahyper said:
The Point was not the fact that he hated the image the point was that he should not have deleted the image, War Killer was speaking more general not directing his post just to Rheged but to anyone else that might read it: Fact is deleting images from a gallery is the wrong way to go with it, even if it bugs you its the wrong way to deal with a situation and it is almost a little childish even. It dose not matter if the person constantly changes it, you should be the bigger individual and deal with it (This is in no way intend toward you once again I am speaking in general like he did above) Hence despite what feelings you may harness toward the image in particular even if it dose not represent the character in question, it is wrong to delete the image. 
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@War Killer: last I checked bringing it up in this thread was a way to contact a mod and ask for help.
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@pikahyper said:
@War Killer: last I checked bringing it up in this thread was a way to contact a mod and ask for help.
And I understand that. But my point is that this guy shouldn't just go around deleting images simply because someone keeps posting it as the main image.
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337  Edited By fesak  Moderator
@War Killer said:
@pikahyper said:
And I understand that. But my point is that this guy shouldn't just go around deleting images simply because someone keeps posting it as the main image.
You're absolutely right, he shouldn't delete it.
And there's nothing the mods can do about it, because there's no way to see who changes the image. 
The only thing that can be done is that everyone who reads this thread helps out and keep changing the pic to a current one.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@fesak said:
@War Killer said:
@pikahyper said:
You're absolutely right, he shouldn't delete it. And there's nothing the mods can do about it, because there's no way to see who changes the image.  The only thing that can be done is that everyone who reads this thread helps out and keep changing the pic to a current one.
Ah but since the image was deleted and the user re-added it we can now know who kept adding the picture as the default and they can be asked to stop.
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By fesak  Moderator
@pikahyper said:
@fesak said:
@War Killer said:
@pikahyper said:
You're absolutely right, he shouldn't delete it. And there's nothing the mods can do about it, because there's no way to see who changes the image.  The only thing that can be done is that everyone who reads this thread helps out and keep changing the pic to a current one.
Ah but since the image was deleted and the user re-added it we can now know who kept adding the picture as the default and they can be asked to stop.

Didn't see it, but i did see that someone have tagged pics i've uploaded with wrong earth designations, and moved them to the wrong gallery. Sigh.
Also it seems that a lot of pics were removed.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@fesak: No doubt people have been getting overzealous with the image cleanups but there has been such a push for cleaning everything up mistakes can happen.
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By Rheged
  • First off, I love the Turner image, and if it were up to me, instead of the RULES, I'd be perfectly happy with a Namor speedo picture.  But the rules state, MOST CURRENT COSTUME.  So, this isn't a matter of which picture _I_ want.
  • Second, I made a note of exactly what other galleries this image is in, and planned to re-upload the image, when I find out WHO has been switching it.
  • Third, as Fesak said, there's no way to find out WHO is switching images, UNLESS, as Pipakyper said, this person uploads the image to the gallery again, and their name is on the pic.  Hence my reason for deleting the picture.
  • Fourth, this person was online last night at the same time I was and literally changing the picture two seconds after I changed the pic, and this went on for several switches, as I changed it back.  It's not like they don't know there's a problem with the image.
  • Fifth, I've deleted TONS and TONS of pictures that didn't follow the rules, between cleaning up galleries, and wiki tasks -- Including, duplicates of the image in question.  Most the time it's a judgment call, especially when it comes to dealing with deleting crappy images.  There's no rule against deleting images -- there are rules about the main image.

So, my question remains.  HOW is someone changing a main picture, when the picture isn't even in the gallery?
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342  Edited By Rheged
@War Killer
@Talon/X23 said:

@pikahyper said:

The Point was not the fact that he hated the image the point was that he should not have deleted the image, War Killer was speaking more general not directing his post just to Rheged but to anyone else that might read it: Fact is deleting images from a gallery is the wrong way to go with it, even if it bugs you its the wrong way to deal with a situation and it is almost a little childish even. It dose not matter if the person constantly changes it, you should be the bigger individual and deal with it (This is in no way intend toward you once again I am speaking in general like he did above) Hence despite what feelings you may harness toward the image in particular even if it dose not represent the character in question, it is wrong to delete the image. 

Well, what is the right way to go about it that isn't childish in your estimation, and would show I'm a bigger individual and actually get results and someone to follow the rules?  Because that's the point.  Someone is breaking the rules, and other than the method I chose, there's no way to find out who, to my knowledge.  So, what's solution?
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343  Edited By fesak  Moderator
@Rheged said:
  So, my question remains.  HOW is someone changing a main picture, when the picture isn't even in the gallery?
That's a good question, i'm going to test some stuff.
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Well, that wasn't so hard to figure out;
 First i'll use a fake page for testing (pic 1 below)
Have two pics in gallery for testing purpose (pic 2)
Make second pic default (pic 3)
Second pic is now default (pic 4)
Delete original pic (pic 5), BUT don't close the tab.
Only second pic left in gallery (pic 6)
Go back to unclosed tab of deleted pic and click on make default aaand voila. It's now default despite not being in gallery
Reason being probably because that pic is not deleted from the site, but still is in the original uploader's own gallery, so as long as he had that page open all the time to change it when you had change-pic-war it wouldn't be a problem.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#345  Edited By IrishX
@fesak
Wow.... 934 (now 935?) messages in your inbox? Yeah that's a lot. 

It's really too bad people have to be dumb with these Main images.
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346  Edited By Rheged
@fesak said:

Well, that wasn't so hard to figure out;
 First i'll use a fake page for testing (pic 1 below)
Have two pics in gallery for testing purpose (pic 2)
Make second pic default (pic 3)
Second pic is now default (pic 4)
Delete original pic (pic 5), BUT don't close the tab.
Only second pic left in gallery (pic 6)
Go back to unclosed tab of deleted pic and click on make default aaand voila. It's now default despite not being in gallery
Reason being probably because that pic is not deleted from the site, but still is in the original uploader's own gallery, so as long as he had that page open all the time to change it when you had change-pic-war it wouldn't be a problem.

O_o 

So someone purposefully reloaded the pic and then deleted it, ostensibly to avoid being identified, and figured out how to do this?  But would they have to upload it the gallery again, if they closed the tab?

Great detective work, btw.  Thank you!
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@fesak: I don't think you had to do all that lol, pretty sure all you have to do is make a pic in a gallery default and then delete it from the gallery, the image never leaves the site and links for it are still good so it doesn't default to another image you just can't see it visually on the site. No tab magic needed :P
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348  Edited By Rheged

Yes, but you'd have to keep uploading it, every time the main image was changed and you wanted to make it the main image again, right? 

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@Rheged said:
@War Killer
@Talon/X23 said:

@pikahyper said:

Well, what is the right way to go about it that isn't childish in your estimation, and would show I'm a bigger individual and actually get results and someone to follow the rules?  Because that's the point.  Someone is breaking the rules, and other than the method I chose, there's no way to find out who, to my knowledge.  So, what's solution?
The solution is to simply keep changing the picture back to the right one like fesak stated already, NOT deleting it from the gallery. It doesn't matter if YOU think that's the best way because either way you still have NO RIGHT to just go deleting images. If everyone did that every time they didn't like an image someone keeps posting (and believe me, this happens a lot more than you may think) then we'd be having images deleted left and right, which again, is WRONG.
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350  Edited By Rheged
@War Killer said:
@Rheged said:
@War Killer
@Talon/X23 said:

@pikahyper said:

The solution is to simply keep changing the picture back to the right one like fesak stated already, NOT deleting it from the gallery. It doesn't matter if YOU think that's the best way because either way you still have NO RIGHT to just go deleting images. If everyone did that every time they didn't like an image someone keeps posting (and believe me, this happens a lot more than you may think) then we'd be having images deleted left and right, which again, is WRONG.

So, your solution is to just let someone keep breaking the rules and make no attempt to catch them?   Why would I be surprised that this happens a lot, when that's all that's being done about it?

Actually, I have every right to delete an image from a gallery -- as much right as anyone has to upload an image.  And as I said before, I've spent an inordinate time deleting images, most of it under the direction of a wiki task that says CLEAN UP a gallery.  And again, I didn't delete an image I did not like -- I actually love that image.  I deleted an image that someone was using to abuse their privilege to change the main picture, IOW, someone was using that picture to do something that was WRONG.