Main Picture Changing Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShufflerHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ShufflerHS

Overview

What Is This Thread?

The 'Main Picture' this thread refers to is the large image you see on a 'Wiki' ComicVine page. It is also referred to as the 'Overview Picture', or 'Default Image'.

The picture next to the character's name.
The picture next to the character's name.

When you search for a Character, Concept, Creator, Location, Object, Publisher, Story Arc or Team on ComicVine, then it is a mini version of this 'Main Picture' that appears as the icon for that character.

So where the main image is low quality, years out of date, and needs changing: this is the place to ask!

This is NOT a place to post random images found on Google. This is a tool for Viners to help each other.

When Can I Change the Main Picture?

No Caption Provided

Anyone can change a default image once they have over 5,000 points. Upon reaching 5,000 points, click on an image to edit it and you will see an option to make it the default picture.

Viners with less than 5,000 points can ask for help here. Mods check this forum frequently, so requests shouldn't take too long to go through. Viners with over 5,000 can also help by making the changes, just respond that the task has been done.

What Qualifies As A Main Picture?

A Few Rules

It's common sense, really. You need a good quality, current, and iconic image.

However, if you're still not sure, then here are some rules to follow:

Good Quality

Simple enough, if a scan is blurry, has pixelated JPEG artifacts scattered all over it, or has a page-crease down the middle of it then it isn't a good quality image. We want ComicVine to look professional, so a good quality image is the best place to start!

Size & Proportions Really DO Matter

Vampire Batman? No!
Vampire Batman? No!

The image selected is automatically re-sized to fit the box on the 'Wiki' page. That's 300 Pixels wide. So if the image you want is too narrow then it will appear stretched. That's just nasty! It's best to have a large image so it won't appear pixelated. Likewise, if the image is letterbox-shaped (like a widescreen TV) then you end up with a long, but very short, picture. Try to aim for something square-to-comic shaped.

Current Appearances

We want to see a current version of the character. Therefore, if Spider-Man is currently wearing the black costume then that should be seen in the Main Picture. However... 'Quality' over-rides 'Current', and 'Current' doesn't mean 'last seen image of them'.

Main Continuity

Marvel has many What Ifs & DC has it's Elseworlds... but we don't want to see them! Stay inside main continuity. We don't want Ultimate Wolverine or Earth 2 Superman, we want the main iconic character that everyone instantly thinks of.

In Costume

Iconic is the key! There are very few characters who are instantly recognisable without their costumes on. Many artists make their characters look the same, so the only way to distinguish one female superhero from another is by her costume. We want Wolverine in his Wolverine outfit. Cyclops with his Ruby Quartz Visor, and Batman with his cowl.

Be Accurate

For an individual character, there should only be that character in the picture. Solo members will be lost in a team picture. So be accurate!

Clean Images

No speech bubbles.
No speech bubbles.

No art with speech bubbles, sound effects, panel lines, partial titles, tags, or similar visual litter. Most major characters have a clean current image of them. The ONLY time we'll accept visual-litter is if it is the only image available.

Comic Art Only

No fan art, game art, or TV stills. It MUST be official comic art. The only exception is if there's isn't any comic art.

Creator Pages

These should only feature photographs of the creators. However, comic art will be acceptable ONLY if there isn't a photo available.

How Do I Request A Different Image?

Before You Make Your Request

The image must already be inside the gallery of that Character, Team, Creator, etc. If it isn't in a relevant gallery, then it can't be turned into the default.

What Info Do You Need?

When requesting an image, don't just describe the picture. Provide the link to that specific image. Not to the wiki page, but to the image itself. It makes it easier for us to find that image.

Inserting the image here does NOT help. You can insert it as well as a link, but on it's own it is useless. We NEED the link!

So here's a good example of how to request a change of image:

No Caption Provided

Don't Abuse Your Privileges!

What NOT To Do When You've Got Over 5,000 Points

Don't abuse it or the possibility to change image will be removed again. The minimal amount of points will be raised if the system is abused!

Don't push your personal bias onto ComicVine

No Caption Provided

Just because you like an older version of a character does not mean that you can make an older picture the default. Domino no longer looks like this. This cannot be her default picture.

Don't Abuse 'Current' Appearances/Edit Team Pictures For Solo Characters

A frame with dismembered Black Lantern limbs is not acceptable.
A frame with dismembered Black Lantern limbs is not acceptable.

It is not acceptable to change the Main Picture everytime a character appears in a new issue! We want quality, not the latest scrappy, crappy cameo.

This has been done a few times, and became a problem especially during Blackest Night. The sheer amount of characters who had been turned into Black Lanterns was incredible, but many of those minor characters only received a small cameo at the back of a group image. Don't crop it out! It doesn't look good to see severed limbs floating around. If a character was turned into a Black Lantern, that doesn't mean it is the best image to use for that character!

Remember, we want quality.

Don't Add Your Latest Upload

We know it's fun and exciting to add new pictures, but the latest image you've uploaded isn't necessarily the best image for the job. However, a LOT of people get carried away and use the latest image they've just uploaded. Be honest with yourself. Only use it if it really is the best picture for the Wiki Page.

Wiki Ban

If you abuse the ability to change the Main Picture then you will receive official warnings from Moderators. If you continue to abuse this privilege then you WILL receive a Wiki Ban. That will prevent you from adding pictures to galleries, making edits in the Wiki Pages, and (of course) from altering the Main Picture.

Contributors

This post has been edited by fesak and renchamp (with a shout-out to former mods zero edge and xerox kitty). Therefore, these are Moderator-approved rules.

ViperPilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ViperPilot
~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
@ViperPilot: Done.
ViperPilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ViperPilot

Senter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Senter
@xerox-kitty: 
Agreed.
This should do the job:
- Grail's page
- Suggested main image

Thanks for taking the time to explain! I wasn't fully aware of the extent to which quality prioritizes over other factors.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty
@Senter: Much nicer than the previous set image.  Done :)
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By courtney12490
@xerox-kitty:  is this an okay  picture to use as grace choi's main picture? i know it has another character in it, but grace is clearly front and center and the art is amazing
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty
@courtney12490: Normally I'd say 'go for it'.  But the one that's there at the moment is clearly of a strong woman.  Think about how it'll look when it's reduced to a small search-box sized icon.  Maybe play around with it to see which is best? :)
spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By spawndon

Will this be acceptable?? 

Senter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Senter
@spawndon: 
My opinion accounts for nothing...but here's what I think.
In theory you've done a nice job. The mentioned disturbing elements are removed. And the added heat-art looks good on its own.
But now there is a new element which makes the image look unprofessional to me - the new photoshopped background contrasts unnaturally with the character and what remains of the old background. The char and the original background have very strong inked outlines whereas the photoshopped new background is heavily smoothed. It doesn't mix well. Especially the old background now sticks out painfully.
Maybe it would look better if you painted over all of the old background and added some strong lines to the heat-art?
(Also, you accidentally painted over Firestorm's inked outlines in some parts, which enhances the unprofessional appearance.)

My suggestion would be to "free-lasso" (the free-hand selection tool in photoshop) the character and paste him into a new background which mixes better with the inks. That requires patience, though. You'd want the free-hand selection to be clean, so as not to break the ink lines. Very difficult with a mouse.

Just my opinion.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty
@spawndon: Sorry, but no.  The image used can not be blurry.  Blurring out the background (which has spilled onto the character) is not an acceptable method of creating a useable picture.     

Senter's suggestion is okay, but from past experience unless you're extremely talented with Photoshop then the lassoo tool creates a horrible jagged edge around the character.  And compared to the current image in use, then it would be of lesser quality.

The one that is there at the moment is more than acceptable.  It really is okay to wait until a better image is produced by DC.
spawndon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By spawndon
@Senter:
@xerox-kitty:  
Hey both of you, thanks for your comments.. Much appreciated. 
But would u believe if I told that I never used Photoshop at all. In reality, a 2 MB sized free photo-editing tool produced this result. 

Senter is right. Free lasso-ing requires much patience. I have that experience. Yes, maybe I'll try that later. Cropping this character and pasting him on a new background might work. 

Plus, I question to X-Kitty. U said that a blurred background is not allowed. Please explain why?  

And thanks again.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xerox_kitty
@spawndon: Because it looks messy & unprofessional.  We only want clear images because they look more striking & professional for ComicVine.  
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By courtney12490
@xerox-kitty: that's a good point, i think that i'll leave it as is, the current picture does portray her really well. thank you for your feedback :)
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@xerox-kitty: Hey, I have a question about the main pictures for team pages: I was just looking at the Young Avengers' page and the main image has words in it, there's a very good, recent image of the team that looks perfect except it has other heroes in the background, will this image still work as the main pic even though it has other heroes in it?

Avengers: The Children's Crusade #1
Avengers: The Children's Crusade #1

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Precise
@War Killer: I don't think it should be a problem seeing as how the main focus of the picture is on the Young Avengers, but i'm no mod :p
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xerox_kitty
@War Killer: That's a tricky one, because you clearly have regular Avengers & Spider-Man in there. 

Perhaps we should wait to see what happens in the actual story, if that's the actual current incarnation of the team.
Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Precise
@xerox-kitty: Or the picture could be cropped to just the young avengers?
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xerox_kitty
@Precise:  When images are cropped to use for the Main Picture, it ruins the picture... and the small touches of dismembered body parts floating around the image isn't attractive ;)
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@xerox-kitty said:
" @War Killer: That's a tricky one, because you clearly have regular Avengers & Spider-Man in there.  Perhaps we should wait to see what happens in the actual story, if that's the actual current incarnation of the team. "
Cool, was just curious since it was resent image of the team. Thanks.
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By danhimself
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By courtney12490
@danhimself: done, that was ridiculous
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By jakob187

Putting in a request for a picture change for the Bankston's Comics and Collectibles page to this image.  It's not the greatest quality, but it's a picture of the store in comparison to a picture of Brad Bankston, one of the owners.

courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By courtney12490
@jakob187: I don't know who did it, but it's been changed.
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By courtney12490
@xerox-kitty: This doesn't have to do with changing a picture but I wasn't sure where to ask. Would it be bad to create galleries of pictures that would make suitable main pictures titled "Main Picture Gallery"? It would be easy access in the character's galleries and might deter people from changing the picture to one that isn't suitable.
Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Yumulu
@courtney12490:  You should not have to look back for an older picture for the main pic of a character, the image being the most recent characterization of this character (when a clear image is available of course).    But I guess an history of older main picture could be usefull to help restore bad choice, but well in that way of thinking an history of all change on a page could be quite usefull in certain situation.
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By courtney12490
@Yumulu: I'm aware that it should be the most recent characterization, if available, but a lot of other people aren't. I figured if somebody's going to change a main picture they might as well change it to one that actually fits most of the guidelines. I must have changed over thirty main pictures in the last two or three days because people keep changing them to ones with text bubbles. If they're going to change it, then these Main Picture Galleries would at least give them a picture that fits most of the guidelines. I honestly don't see how it could hurt to have them, but will wait for a reply from a Mod before I go ahead and actually create any.
Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yumulu

I was wondering while browsing some X character pages is a main image like emma frost got is acceptable being that it not really that hard to find her in a individual image. Likewise for this cyclop extreme close up... is this actually the kinds of images that we should use as main? 

Just wondering for future reference in uploading main image.

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Precise
@courtney12490 said:
" @xerox-kitty: This doesn't have to do with changing a picture but I wasn't sure where to ask. Would it be bad to create galleries of pictures that would make suitable main pictures titled "Main Picture Gallery"? It would be easy access in the character's galleries and might deter people from changing the picture to one that isn't suitable. "
I would say that it would be a mistake to do so. There are characters like Superman whoms gallery is filled with different subgalleries. The whole point of the gallery is to have as little as possible different galleries for one character. This is also the reason that many galleries which held different alternate realities galleries have been merged into one alternate reality gallery.
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By courtney12490
@Precise said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" @xerox-kitty: This doesn't have to do with changing a picture but I wasn't sure where to ask. Would it be bad to create galleries of pictures that would make suitable main pictures titled "Main Picture Gallery"? It would be easy access in the character's galleries and might deter people from changing the picture to one that isn't suitable. "
I would say that it would be a mistake to do so. There are characters like Superman whoms gallery is filled with different subgalleries. The whole point of the gallery is to have as little as possible different galleries for one character. This is also the reason that many galleries which held different alternate realities galleries have been merged into one alternate reality gallery. "
That's actually a really good point. I'm glad that I didn't actually go ahead and do that. 

@Yumulu: Again, I'm not a Mod, so my word isn't law, but I'd say that that image of Emma is not OK as a main image. It's not like she's this really obscure character and the only picture you could find of her had somebody else in it. There are plenty of other pictures of just her that would work fine as her main picture and I've seen probably three or four different ones in the last month. As for the Cyclops picture, I would say no because half of his face is cut off. Again, it's not like he's this really obscure character and there are just no other better pictures out there. 
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Not sure why, but because one of the rules are don't change the main picture with an image you've just uploaded, but I was wondering since they're weren't really many good pictures of Clint Barton of Hawkeye and since he is now Hawkeye again, is it okay if I change his page's main pic to this image I've just uploaded?

No Caption Provided
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By courtney12490
@War Killer: It fits all of the guidelines. It's the most recent characterization, there are no watermarks or anything of that sort, there's nobody else in the picture and there's no text.   

Don't Add Your Latest Upload

We know it's fun & exciting yo add new pictures.  But the latest image you've uploaded isn't necessarily the best image for the job.  However, a LOT of people get carried away & use the latest image they've just uploaded.  Be honest with yourself.  Only use it if it really is the best picture for the Wiki Page. 

The picture that you uploaded, IMO, is the best one for the page as of now.
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@courtney12490: Thanks for pointing that out.
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By courtney12490
@War Killer: No problem. I've been changing so many images lately due to people not following the guidelines It's nice to see somebody double-checking. 
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@courtney12490 said:
" @War Killer: No problem. I've been changing so many images lately due to people not following the guidelines It's nice to see somebody double-checking.  "
I know what you mean, I try not to go so crazy changing images, but people will change them to images that look awful and it just bugs me to the core.
shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By shanana

Also...

Take the time to see if the image has already been added!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@Sha: The only problem I've found with this is that if one page has tons of images, that's a lot of pictures to go through just to add one.
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By courtney12490
@War Killer said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" @War Killer: No problem. I've been changing so many images lately due to people not following the guidelines It's nice to see somebody double-checking.  "
I know what you mean, I try not to go so crazy changing images, but people will change them to images that look awful and it just bugs me to the core. "
I will never understand people who think that it's ok to have speech bubbles in a main picture, or people who think that it's ok to put a picture of Dazzler in her disco outfit as the main picture.
manofsteel42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By manofsteel42

I think this should be the default of kitty pryde instead of that one with her riding the bullet and ugly yellow/black suit. its a real eye sore seeing that and this one has presance and great art work.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xerox_kitty
@manofsteel42: That's from X-Treme X-Men, it's an outfit she doesn't wear anymore.  Sorry, but the 'Dr Strangelove Bullet' is more recent, iconic, and represents where she's been the last few years.
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By courtney12490
@manofsteel42: I just changed that picture maybe two days ago. Adding to what xerox-kitty said, it doesn't follow the guidelines. That's like putting a picture of Dazzler in her silver disco suit. It's not current and therefore inaccurate. I'm getting sick of the bullet picture also, but at this time, it's the best choice that is available. 
@xerox-kitty: Would this be acceptable for Kitty Pryde? I read my comics in trades, so I don't know what it's from, it was, however, in the 616 gallery.

No Caption Provided
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xerox_kitty
@courtney12490: It's nice.  Is it fan-art though?  If it's official you could use that.  But there's always the cleaned-up image of her phasing towards the reader (from the cover of Astonishing X-Men).
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By courtney12490
@xerox-kitty: I'm pretty sure that it's official. It was in the 616 gallery as opposed the fan art gallery. I'm gonna switch the picture and if I find out later that it's fan art, I will happily switch it back. :) I remember that cover of Astonishing, it's one of the things that sold me on Cassaday's art.
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Is this okay for the Wasp's (Janet Pym) main pic? It's from Mighty Avengers, and from what I know, it's her current "look"

Mighty Avengers #35
Mighty Avengers #35

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By AtPhantom

I'd rather have a classic look on the front page than any specialized cosmic look.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@AtPhantom said:
" I'd rather have a classic look on the front page than any specialized cosmic look. "
Stranger?
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AtPhantom
@Supreme Marvel said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" I'd rather have a classic look on the front page than any specialized cosmic look. "
Stranger? "
Huh? I'm talking about Janet. : )
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@AtPhantom said:
True, but if it is her current look, then it would top her classic look.
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@AtPhantom said:
" @Supreme Marvel said:
" @AtPhantom said:
Stranger? "
Huh? I'm talking about Janet. : ) "
I thought you were referring to your Profile image.
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AtPhantom
@Supreme Marvel said:
" I thought you were referring to your Profile image. "
LMAO