Guidelines for Adding Television Shows and Episodes

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: every series has two orders the air date order and production order, episodes are not always aired in the order they were made, this isn't as common now but it used to be, this can cause some confusion as often times dvd releases will use the production order to be more historically accurate so the air date order should be used but if possible a note should probably be added in the series description or individual episode descriptions about the different orders.

If you are not sure if a site is using the air date order and two sites are conflicting go to a third site and whichever is most used go with that one :)

It's weird. I thought there was a conflict... but I might have just been tired (like I am right now...).

If there are further conflicts, I'll follow your advice. Thanks.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#52  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@jedixman: I know how it goes lol, I was exhausted last night so some stuff I said was confusing :P

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I added some things to the 60's Batman show and not all of them have shown up!

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
MagmaGazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I would love to help out with this! More of a 'show' expert than a 'comic' expert to be fair, haha.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

Justice League and Justice League Unlimited should be handled as two separate series correct? I assumed they should and started on the JLU series and episodes but I see that IMDB has them kinda listed together. Sorry if I made a huge boo-boo guys and gals. I'll suspend editing them until I here a response on this.

MagmaGazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right-o, for the Dragon Ball eps, which title cards are preferred? The English Titles or original Japanese titles? This also applies to actually naming the individual episodes too; shall I again use the english dub titles or side with the japanese originals? Or do something like "English title here//Japanese title here//"?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@renchamp said:

@magmagazer said:

Right-o, for the Dragon Ball eps, which title cards are preferred? The English Titles or original Japanese titles? This also applies to actually naming the individual episodes too; shall I again use the english dub titles or side with the japanese originals? Or do something like "English title here//Japanese title here//"?

Personally, I'd go English for the actual name of the page and then put the Japanese title in the plot summary box. The title is very editable, however, so whatever you do there is easy to fix if a mod says otherwise. As for the title cards, I think you can add both and make the English one the default, much like issues of comics can have many variant covers.

Ren is right, for the names just use the same setup as manga, translated title for the episode title and at the top of the description use:

Proper Japanese Title: ドラゴンボール (Doragon Bōru)

if you don't have it though you don't have to include it.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 JediXMan  Moderator

Justice League and Justice League Unlimited should be handled as two separate series correct? I assumed they should and started on the JLU series and episodes but I see that IMDB has them kinda listed together. Sorry if I made a huge boo-boo guys and gals. I'll suspend editing them until I here a response on this.

Personally, I think it should be listed as one series, with Unlimited being put down as an alias.

We don't necessarily need two pages. What do you think, @pikahyper?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#61  Edited By RazzaTazz

@jedixman said:
@doomdoomdoom said:

Personally, I think it should be listed as one series, with Unlimited being put down as an alias.

G-Man himself in the news article said they should be separate.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RazzaTazz

Not to single anyone out personally but the the moderators are trying to control the input of information on the new shows in a logical way. Could you all keep up with the guidelines in this thread and check out the discussion as well?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 pikahyper  Moderator

@jedixman said:
@doomdoomdoom said:

hmm you are probably right, looking around we would be the only place that splits them, I'll merge them in a little while.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@razzatazz: Thanks, I didn't know there was an article, I just looked it up. About post below that (#62) I don't know if that was directed at me in the slightest but is this an okay place to ask questions in regards to this new avenue of the wiki? Is this thread, the discussion you spoke of?

@pikahyper: Is it ok for me to work on the JLU episodes, if your planning to merge them?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 pikahyper  Moderator

@doomdoomdoom: go ahead, I was going to but I guess I can't, tad bit annoying since as I said we would be the only place that separates them.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: OK, sorry to have caused trouble or annoyance by not thinking it through and asking about it first.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 pikahyper  Moderator
Eternelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#68  Edited By Eternelle

<---Mercy

I'll be continuing with the first seasons of JL tomorrow, finally got a good system worked out for it :)

And for what it's worth, Justice League and JLU seem like they would make more sense grouped together, but JLU is technically a different show. Justice League Unlimited is season one (as opposed to being season three), so for a comics analogy, it's essentially a relaunch and rename of a volume, thus making it separate, right?

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz:

I'm not sure about the purpose of singling me out on this topic, then later editing out those parts. I can see the original in my notifications.

I haven violated any of these rules. The series I've added are almost all primarily manga first. The only questionable one would be PERSONA 4, but that has two seperate manga (PERSONA 4 and PERSONA 4 ARENA) and an incredible number of spin-offs volumes.

Is anyone complaining about DEXTER? Which is mainly a TV show.

As far as Japanese series, this is a primarily English site. The English name should be the main focus in most cases. You could look to NARUTO SHIPPUDEN. There is word Shippuden has an English translation, but the English edition uses the Japanese term.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 JediXMan  Moderator

@voleuse said:

<---Mercy

I'll be continuing with the first seasons of JL tomorrow, finally got a good system worked out for it :)

And for what it's worth, Justice League and JLU seem like they would make more sense grouped together, but JLU is technically a different show. Justice League Unlimited is season one (as opposed to being season three), so for a comics analogy, it's essentially a relaunch and rename of a volume, thus making it separate, right?

I suppose.

Eternelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: I'm good with anything, really, no skin off my back either way.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By RazzaTazz

@foxxfireart: The purpose of the edit was so that you weren't singled out ... part of my standard operating procedure. Anyway, the point is that we are trying to tackle this vast amount of material as a community, and what we are trying to accomplish is to get series completion or at least progression before moving on. If not we are going to have to go back later and sort through all the series for missing episodes, and that is likely going to fall on the one of the wiki moderators to do. In the interest of not wasting our time would you be so kind as to conform to what the community is trying to do here, add a series and at least get started on the episodes before moving on.

Dexter is fine, G-Man said so. Pretty much anything is fine as long as it is the source for a comic, which thanks to BlueWater and Dynamite means a lot of comics and series

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: G-Man said he wanted those separate, I can't remember where I read it but those were his words.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

@voleuse said:

<---Mercy

I suppose.

Its the standard that we use in the wiki for such cases in terms of comics, so we should maintain it with television series.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:

@voleuse said:

<---Mercy

I suppose.

Its the standard that we use in the wiki for such cases in terms of comics, so we should maintain it with television series.

Yes, but it's accepted as the same series by many. It's kinda like making Batman TAS and the New Batman Adventures as different shows. But everybody lumps them in as the same exact series, which they essentially are.

Though to be fair, in the case of Batman, the DVD clearly calls TNBA volume 4 of the series.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By RazzaTazz

@jedixman: We have many (many) comic book volumes which are considered to be the same series but which are in the wiki separately. Some quite recognizable series for instance. Check out this one for instance from what is the most famous comic series of all time:

Action Comics Weekly

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz:

You keep talking about conforming, but you've yet to explain what I have or haven't done to warrant the accusation. I do plan to fill in full episode lists. I just created a few series that I enjoy and most of them have relatively shorter episode runs (minus ONE PIECE and such long running series).

If you want more focus on filling in episode lists. I'll put more focus on there. I had no intention of leaving these things empty. I just don't have infinite time to edit wiki pages. There are more things I need to do in a day.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foxxfireart: Understood, we are just asking that where possible that people focus on one series at a time.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 pikahyper  Moderator

@foxxfireart: what she was saying is to please work on one series at a time as opposed to many i.e. add Naruto, add all the episodes, add all the data you plan on adding and then move on to another series. By adding multiple series and first episodes you've effectively called dibs and other users will be reluctant to work on something someone else has already started and since this is a new section of the site and there is a lot to be added we are trying to keep it fair for all users so more people can contribute instead of just a few, by doing this is it possible someone else could take a series you wanted to add? yes of course but everybody should get a chance to add their favorites on a level playing field as an experienced editor or new editor.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 pikahyper  Moderator

@razzatazz: don't worry I wasn't going to split them I said so in another post earlier, my OCD is having problems though seeing as how we are the only site that splits them but I'll get used to it.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz: don't worry I wasn't going to split them I said so in another post earlier, my OCD is having problems though seeing as how we are the only site that splits them but I'll get used to it.

I am not opposed to revisiting that rule, though I believe it came from staff

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 pikahyper  Moderator

@razzatazz: not so much a rule, Tony said to split that specific series lol, doesn't leave much wiggle room.

MagmaGazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MagmaGazer

So I tried it out with episode one --and in the plot box I put...

ブルマと孫悟空 (Buruma to Son Gokuu; translated as "Bulma and Son Goku");

Is that what you guys meant? Or shall I remove the literal translation and just leave it as the kanji and romanji?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: It is repeated consistently in the wiki to the point that it is a rule

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 pikahyper  Moderator
Avatar image for batsymyplaything
batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By batsymyplaything

@pikahyper I had a question. I know that the comic book issue pages have pre-release description placed in the summary section of the wiki compared to having it in the short description section right below the title of the issue. Is that how you guys want in the TV series episode page as well because I'm seeing members placing the pre-release description in either the summary section or the short description. I know it's been previously stated that the episode pages including series pages should be modeled after the comic book issue pages, but I guess it's better to clear it up again.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@batsymyplaything: when on an episode page the top text box is called the deck, it is meant to be used for a summary of an entire page for search results, the text must be original, the deck has no additional text formatting options and it has a word count limit, it also can't handle ampersands so you have to use "and" instead. The second text box on the page is the description, this is where official episode synopsis goes and they must be in italics (hence why it can't be in the deck), if a synopsis is not in italics it is the same as plagiarism pretty much, if noticed by a mod though it will just be fixed (turned into italics). When you add a new episode the description box there is actually the deck not the regular description so if you do not have a summary to put in the deck you can use a space to bypass the restriction to add the episode.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper:

I can understand that. My internet was down most of the day for some reason, but I was able to complete the episode lists for about five of the series I've added. I also started in on ONE PIECE. I'm going to take that by story arcs, since it's so large.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 pikahyper  Moderator
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

Guys, can we please remember to go through and fill out episodes of a show that you've added before adding another? I get that there are probably territory wars and things going on (which is understandable), but if you added something, take the time to go through and fill it out before you add something else.

There are SO MANY things to add and having them there and empty doesn't do much good.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 JediXMan  Moderator
@mercy_ said:

Guys, can we please remember to go through and fill out episodes of a show that you've added before adding another? I get that there are probably territory wars and things going on (which is understandable), but if you added something, take the time to go through and fill it out before you add something else.

There are SO MANY things to add and having them there and empty doesn't do much good.

I've filled out most episodes of X-Men: Evolution (working on it). But, truth be told, I'm going mostly by memory, so I'm leaving out things that I'm not positive on (regarding appearances). Better to not give information than to give false information.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@jedixman said:
@mercy_ said:

I've filled out most episodes of X-Men: Evolution (working on it). But, truth be told, I'm going mostly by memory, so I'm leaving out things that I'm not positive on (regarding appearances). Better to not give information than to give false information.

Same here, I just finished up adding all the JLU episodes but I was really running off of memory, I'm planning to sit down and re-watch the episodes so I can really fill them out properly as I watch along.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

@jedixman said:
@mercy_ said:

Same here, I just finished up adding all the JLU episodes but I was really running off of memory, I'm planning to sit down and re-watch the episodes so I can really fill them out properly as I watch along.

Oh, yeah, stuff like that is fine. This is mostly (entirely) in reference to people who are adding a show, doing nothing with it and then going in and adding others.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 JediXMan  Moderator
@mercy_ said:

@doomdoomdoom said:

@jedixman said:
@mercy_ said:

Oh, yeah, stuff like that is fine. This is mostly (entirely) in reference to people who are adding a show, doing nothing with it and then going in and adding others.

These are my projects right now:

• X-Men: Evolution (finished)
  • Code Geass (almost done)

I'm going to start on a third in a little bit. That third will be a lot easier, since it only has ten episodes.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@jedixman: you are doing fine, it is just that some users are trying to take on to much and adding multiple shows and not working on them instead of committing to a show and adding everything they can to it before moving to the next show.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 pikahyper  Moderator

A message for all you new editors working on shows, please turn on your notifications, I'm sending out tons of important comments you are either not seeing or are ignoring.

Also for everyone, please remember that punctuation and spelling are important, I'm seeing lots of rushed writing as of late.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: you are doing fine, it is just that some users are trying to take on to much and adding multiple shows and not working on them instead of committing to a show and adding everything they can to it before moving to the next show.

Just making sure. Almost done with Code Geass.

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By batsymyplaything

@pikahyper Am I allowed to work on some of the series that certain members have left it for dead? There are many shows left with no or 1 episode and I don't know if those members are coming back and finishing up the editing by adding all the episode. I just don't won't to start something and then be accused of trespassing, since there has been talks of having dibs on the series that the particular member created.

I mean, I'm finished with The Walking Dead and there isn't going to be a new episode until next month. Also, we aren't allowed to add new episode until a week of it's passing air date, am I right cause g_man did state that at his orginial post?

MagmaGazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a general question, for waaaay down the line; what happens in instances where shows surpass nine seasons? Will the episode ordering go on to be something like 1001 or does something else happen?