Grammar Tasks Needed

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Despite the already frightening amount of tasks I've posted and logging in to 30+ PMs on a daily basis, I'm considering starting a thread for people to point out pages that need grammatical revision. I assigned a task a couple weeks ago to revise Robin, which turned out to be much more involved than I anticipated but I think the page benefited from the gang of people that participated.  People don't get rewarded enough for improving pages' readability and frankly poorly written pages reflect poorly on the site as a whole. There's hundreds of thousands of pages on CV, I can't be everywhere, so I pose the question to the 12,500 people i'm being followed by-

Any suggestions for pages that need dramatic grammatical revision?

courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By courtney12490
@Shatterstar: I don't have any suggestions for pages right now because I already fixed Luke Cages's page, which was just horrific. I do, however, loveee the idea of grammar cleanup tasks. 
jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jlat89

@Shatterstar: I still think the Robin page needs formatting though, no offense.  It looks like someone just threw Stephanie Brown in the middle of Tim Drake's information.  Plus there is a ton of information on Tim on that page.  Wouldn't it be better if there was a brief description and then a link to the actual Tim Drake Page instead of having the same information twice?  Just a thought.
I haven't come across a page needs dramatic grammatical revision but I'll keep my eyes open

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@jlat89 said:
"  @Shatterstar: I still think the Robin page needs formatting though, no offense.  It looks like someone just threw Stephanie Brown in the middle of Tim Drake's information.  Plus there is a ton of information on Tim on that page.  Wouldn't it be better if there was a brief description and then a link to the actual Tim Drake Page instead of having the same information twice?  Just a thought. I haven't come across a page needs dramatic grammatical revision but I'll keep my eyes open "
No offense taken, while the formatting and content needs revision, at least the spelling and grammar errors that riddled the page have been minimized.
jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#4  Edited By jlat89
@Shatterstar: 
yeah I noticed the spelling and grammar has been a lot better on pages.
Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Strafe Prower

I will take a look around for you Shatterstar.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Yes cleaning up all the top popular characters pages would be great.  I wonder if we should make it so only trusted users can edited the big characters... people who understand the site, have good grammar, and know the characters?

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Red L.A.M.P. said:
" Yes cleaning up all the top popular characters pages would be great.  I wonder if we should make it so only trusted users can edited the big characters... people who understand the site, have good grammar, and know the characters? "
I think that might be best.
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@Red L.A.M.P. said:

" Yes cleaning up all the top popular characters pages would be great.  I wonder if we should make it so only trusted users can edited the big characters... people who understand the site, have good grammar, and know the characters? "

I remember we used to have pages like Batman locked down. I'm not sure how we would set that up so it would be more available to new contributors. Moderators could anoint people but its kind of hard to tell who is doing what on pages. Perhaps the top 10-25 pages (according to click count) should automatically go through moderation?
An arbitrary points cut off like 5000 points to be able to set a page's default image probably wouldn't work. There's users with tens of thousands of points that have never actually written anything.          
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By courtney12490
@Shatterstar said:
" @Red L.A.M.P. said:

I remember we used to have pages like Batman locked down. I'm not sure how we would set that up so it would be more available to new contributors. Moderators could anoint people but its kind of hard to tell who is doing what on pages. Perhaps the top 10-25 pages (according to click count) should automatically go through moderation?An arbitrary points cut off like 5000 points to be able to set a page's default image probably wouldn't work. There's users with tens of thousands of points that have never actually written anything.           "
I like the click count idea. Also, is there any way to tell if anybody has actually written anything?
Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Ryonslaught

Great idea Star! But what can we all do to lighten your burden? I myself know I have pages I've done massive work on "on site" as in without aid of software to correct typos Grammer etc. Sometimes once I hit save I'm exhausted and don't remember to "clean up" after myself. So to help with this task tomorrow first thing when I wake up I'll comb through all my submissions from  highest to lowest and do my part in bettering Comicvine not just for original content but grammatically correct well punctuated  character pages. If we all cleaned up after ourselves it would dramatically lighten the loads of the mods.

On another note too, Ive seen a few really bad pages "grammar wise" and sometimes the users who generated them don't actually speak or write English  so they lead to some very.....confounding pages.

Hope that helps

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lady Tlieso

99% of the edits lately have been to fix spelling & grammatical errors. I understand that for some people English is a second language but I think alot of it comes from pure laziness. How hard is it to spell check your work?

courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By courtney12490
@Lady Tlieso said:
" 99% of the edits lately have been to fix spelling & grammatical errors. I understand that for some people English is a second language but I think alot of it comes from pure laziness. How hard is it to spell check your work? "
I agree. Especially if you're using something like Google Chrome, which gives you red squiggly lines under anything that is not spelled correctly.
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@Ryonslaught said:
"  On another note too, Ive seen a few really bad pages "grammar wise" and sometimes the users who generated them don't actually speak or write English  so they lead to some very.....confounding pages.  Hope that helps "
Thats exactly what i'm looking for, post those here or PM me when you come across those.
Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lady Tlieso
@courtney12490 said:
" @Lady Tlieso said:
" 99% of the edits lately have been to fix spelling & grammatical errors. I understand that for some people English is a second language but I think alot of it comes from pure laziness. How hard is it to spell check your work? "
I agree. Especially if you're using something like Google Chrome, which gives you red squiggly lines under anything that is not spelled correctly. "
Firefox does the same thing.
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By courtney12490
@Lady Tlieso said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" @Lady Tlieso said:
I agree. Especially if you're using something like Google Chrome, which gives you red squiggly lines under anything that is not spelled correctly. "
Firefox does the same thing. "
Then I don't really see any excuse for the magnitude of how bad the grammar is on some of these pages.
Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Ryonslaught
@Shatterstar:  No problem Star I'll keep you posted!
courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By courtney12490
@Red L.A.M.P. said:
I agree, but how would you go about implementing that?
eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By eldestrisk

I just began with this whole wiki editing thing, I think I did a good job, it's hard work, I spent my good 8-10 hours on doing each of the only 2 pages I edited so far. My explorer doesn't make a grammar correction, but I'm very careful about that, actually english is a second language for me.

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By Mediant
@Shatterstar: Like you say, the problem isn't just that the poor grammar exists, it's that there's little incentive (when compared to other tasks) to fix it. I know from experience how involved fixing grammar and structure is. The reward seems inversely proportional to how much of a pain it is.
SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SoA
@Shatterstar:  could be worse . the pages could sound like lol catz wrote them  : (
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@Mediant said:
" @Shatterstar: Like you say, the problem isn't just that the poor grammar exists, it's that there's little incentive (when compared to other tasks) to fix it. I know from experience how involved fixing grammar and structure is. The reward seems inversely proportional to how much of a pain it is. "
Definitely true, thats why if someone runs across a page with particularly egregious grammar errors I'd definitely be receptive to creating a task to award bounty points. The way the wiki system works if you remove content and add content you get the points for the added content minus the removed content. So if you're removing as much or a greater amount of information than you're adding, you get boned on points.

@SoA said:
" @Shatterstar:  could be worse . the pages could sound like lol catz wrote them  : ( "
Sadly some submissions are not far off from teh kitteh's vernacular. 

@eldestrisk said:
" I just began with this whole wiki editing thing, I think I did a good job, it's hard work, I spent my good 8-10 hours on doing each of the only 2 pages I edited so far. My explorer doesn't make a grammar correction, but I'm very careful about that, actually english is a second language for me. "
Eldestrisk did a pretty awesome job on the Forge page if anyone wants to check it out. Pretty good example on how to revise a plagiarized page to make it your own. He got an extra 400 points on top of what he already did for his work.
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#22  Edited By cbishop
@Lady Tlieso said:

"99% of the edits lately have been to fix spelling & grammatical errors. I understand that for some people English is a second language but I think alot of it comes from pure laziness. How hard is it to spell check your work? "

GAH! NO!  Spellcheck is not an editor!  Spellcheck will catch when you type "th estart" instead of "the start," but it won't catch when "an dive" was supposed to be "and I've."  It also doesn't check misused words like "they're/ there/ their."  It's useful for an initial check, but a second and maybe third read through before posting is an essential responsibility of the poster.  I mean, it's something that probably all of us are guilty of at one time or another (I know I still catch mistakes after posting) but some people don't even try. 

EDIT: On a related note: users might be more prone to watch for their mistakes, if articles by staff weren't so riddled with errors.  Not pointing any fingers.  Just observing that I see it a lot.
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By B'Town

In my CV surfing I ran across Hawkgirl and found the Intro to be jibberish.  There are also a few format problems with the headings.  I wouldn't say this page needs dramatic grammatical revision (there is actually a lot of great information here) but the intro looks like someone dropped a bomb on it.   

I was going to fix this myself but do not know enough about Hawkgirl to do her justice.  Hawkgirl has been around for many a moons, I think she deserves a sweet page.  

If I have added this to the wrong part of the forum, forgive me.  I may have been around CV for a couple of years now but I have only recently become involved in Forums or Wiki submissions.   

Thanks for listening. 

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@B'Town said:
" In my CV surfing I ran across Hawkgirl and found the Intro to be jibberish.  There are also a few format problems with the headings.  I wouldn't say this page needs dramatic grammatical revision (there is actually a lot of great information here) but the intro looks like someone dropped a bomb on it.    I was going to fix this myself but do not know enough about Hawkgirl to do her justice.  Hawkgirl has been around for many a moons, I think she deserves a sweet page.   If I have added this to the wrong part of the forum, forgive me.  I may have been around CV for a couple of years now but I have only recently become involved in Forums or Wiki submissions.    Thanks for listening.  "
Thanks for the heads up, its been added to the tasks.
nilmandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By nilmandir
@Shatterstar:  

I've only edited 3 wiki's and found the level of errors is just horrific. I edited Aunt May, Uncle Ben, and Roland Deschain.  With Aunt May and Uncle Ben, it was all over the place. Structure, grammar, spelling, links, and so on. I edited both for a couple of hours and still couldn't get through most of it. 

With Roland, it was a little easier. I am reading the Dark Tower series right now and I used the books and Wikipedia (I had to, I didn't want to include spoilers) to "clean up" Roland's entry. The basic thread of it was good, but it lacked polish and ... clarity of thought. 

Maybe a "basic" template should be devised. Each entry is divided into specific sections:   

• Blurb - A sentence about the character. A teaser. This is already on most entries.
  • Origin - The characters history and other important information,
  • Physical Description - The look of the character.
  • Powers - What can he/she/it do to defend or rule the universe.
  • Alternate Universes - With so many characters being part of the multi-verse, this is where they should be listed.

The rest of the entry would remain the same. Each part could be entered into the main window or separate windows. 

I also agree with some of the other posters that more of an incentive to correct "bad entries" would help. Locking down an entry once it was finished would be another help. This could be voted on by all of ComicVine, or just the entries top posters. 

Just some thoughts.
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@nilmandir said:
" @Shatterstar:  

I've only edited 3 wiki's and found the level of errors is just horrific. I edited Aunt May, Uncle Ben, and Roland Deschain.  With Aunt May and Uncle Ben, it was all over the place. Structure, grammar, spelling, links, and so on. I edited both for a couple of hours and still couldn't get through most of it. 

With Roland, it was a little easier. I am reading the Dark Tower series right now and I used the books and Wikipedia (I had to, I didn't want to include spoilers) to "clean up" Roland's entry. The basic thread of it was good, but it lacked polish and ... clarity of thought. 

Maybe a "basic" template should be devised. Each entry is divided into specific sections:   

• Blurb - A sentence about the character. A teaser. This is already on most entries.
  • Origin - The characters history and other important information,
  • Physical Description - The look of the character.
  • Powers - What can he/she/it do to defend or rule the universe.
  • Alternate Universes - With so many characters being part of the multi-verse, this is where they should be listed.
   The rest of the entry would remain the same. Each part could be entered into the main window or separate windows.      I also agree with some of the other posters that more of an incentive to correct "bad entries" would help. Locking down an entry once it was finished would be another help. This could be voted on by all of ComicVine, or just the entries top posters.  Just some thoughts. "
I am a fan of this post. 

We've left pages pretty much open for people to stylize and format as they wish with the only rules being don't plagiarize other sources. Maybe a set template, at least for superhero characters would work. It'd be pretty difficult to enforce without it being built into the UI.  
Thats the problem we have with trying to keep grammar up to par and plagiarism off the site, its difficult to police the thousands of pages out there. If people PM me or another mod, post on my wall, or just post in this thread pages that need dramatic grammar/spelling revision, I'd be more than happy to post a task to get people some bonus points. Its literally the least rewarding thing points-wise you can do on the site.  
 As for locking pages, thats been volleyed around for a while, I've not seen it since the site was brand new and the top pages (Superman, Batman, etc) were locked from edits.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Mercy_
@aztek the lost said:
" @Shatterstar said:
" As for locking pages, thats been volleyed around for a while, I've not seen it since the site was brand new and the top pages (Superman, Batman, etc) were locked from edits. "
I think mods should be able to lock pages and then if a user wanted to edit it, they'd have to hit a button that sends a PM to all the mods about what they wanted to do  however, I don't think it should apply to big and active characters as they need to be updated all the time  as for set format, I admit when I make a big page I like to divide it up like Wikipedia with Publication History, then History...and then all those other tidbits at the bottom but that's just me "
All pages, or just specific ones? I think that would create an awful lot of extra work for the mods if it were all pages, but you would know better than I. 
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Mercy_
@aztek the lost said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" @Shatterstar said:
" As for locking pages, thats been volleyed around for a while, I've not seen it since the site was brand new and the top pages (Superman, Batman, etc) were locked from edits. "
I think mods should be able to lock pages and then if a user wanted to edit it, they'd have to hit a button that sends a PM to all the mods about what they wanted to do  however, I don't think it should apply to big and active characters as they need to be updated all the time  as for set format, I admit when I make a big page I like to divide it up like Wikipedia with Publication History, then History...and then all those other tidbits at the bottom but that's just me "
All pages, or just specific ones? I think that would create an awful lot of extra work for the mods if it were all pages, but you would know better than I.  "
well I think we should have the ability to lock any page but there'd probably only be a few hundred at max that were locked and most would be pages that nobody wants to edit anyways because it's perfect as is and the comic ended years ago, such as MShades' Preacher pages...they seem for the most part done to me, at some point, editing a page just means making it your style of writing, but not actually adding to the quality... "
Stated like that, I think it's a great idea. :P
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Rheged

It would be nice if there was an undo button.  So mods could just undo the last wiki edits that butchered a page AND the points anyone got for said butchering.

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Rheged

Really?  You mean with people arguing about their submissions disappearing?

nilmandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By nilmandir

I think one of the problems inherent in the locking down of pages is that the Mods are going to get a ton of PM's from users asking to "just add a little something". It would be okay if the request went to all of the Mods and anyone of them could respond. Somehow I think that the responsibility would fall to a few of them to respond to the request. 

@Shatterstar:  

W e've left pages pretty much open for people to stylize and format as they wish with the only rules being don't plagiarize other sources. Maybe a set template, at least for superhero characters would work. It'd be pretty difficult to enforce without it being built into the UI. 

I think building the template into the U.I. is a brilliant idea. Yes, it would take a lot of hard work, but it might also cut down on edit time and errors. When writing a huge amount of text, you can sometimes forget things and start repeating things (just ask any college professor who grades his/her own papers). Each section could then go into a review by the Mods. Instead of reading one whole post, your just reading the chunks that have been changed. (To be completely honest, I don't know how the reviews on the wiki's are done. I guessing that their done comparatively. One window holds the old post and one hold the revised text. You approve or deny.) 

Until we reach a point where the computers can decipher our random scratchings into some kind of coherent thought, we just have to keep our red pens handy.
Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Strafe Prower

More task period would be appreciated guys :)

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@Strafe Prower said:
" More task period would be appreciated guys :) "
Do you mean longer duration of tasks or more tasks?
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By B'Town

I found a few pages I was going to edit but they are too much for me.  (novice) They might be a good addition to the Tasks List.  

Aquamaria - Large blank gap in page format between Powers and Appearances in other Media.  Also, scattered minor grammatical errors throughout but especially in the last run-on paragraph that switches from past to present tense. 

Luma Lynai - Needs major help.  

Fire - This page starts off fine and has a lot of great information but the errors increase as you read.  Grammar and some spelling.  

edit to add a couple of pages I tried to clean up today but think are too much for me to do, without a significant amount of re-write, I also lack enough familiarity with the characters. 

Nico Minoru - This page is another that starts off fine but about half way through errors increase and it becomes confusing.  It really does need a task.  I started to work on it then realized I wasn't able to fix it without a rewrite and deleting a lot.

Contessa Valentina Allegro de la Fontaine - grammar and it's a bit confusing.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Strafe Prower
@Shatterstar: more tasks period.
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#40  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@Strafe Prower: Recommendations? I was on the task hunt the other day to make some, and I was having a hard time coming up with some. It doesn't have to be just grammar and blank pages. Some times I like to make tasks for 'when did this happen' or 'what happened when this character was in this arc', etc. 
Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Strafe Prower
@jloneblackheart: Geo-Force, Looker and the Outsiders needs a task. They were all plagarized by Silver Comet and I am going to redo them. 

I willl get a list up of some other stuff so you can make some tasks.
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By Magian

Could someone fix Bounty's page? The one who did confused him with when Dawnstar was called that and they urelated characters. I would do it but I don't know enough about him.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#43  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@Strafe Prower: Which parts were plagiarized? I don't have time to check right now, Mondays are my busy days. Let me know so I can be specific in the task. 

@ComicMan24: Task added. Hopefully someone will fix it. 
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Magian
@jloneblackheart: Thanks.
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By B'Town

The Viper page needs grammatical editing. 

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
@B'Town said:
" The Viper page needs grammatical editing.  "
Check it out again, hopefully its good to go.