#1 Posted by ruckus24 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, here's a problem maybe one of you mods can help me with. The hugely exhaustive entry that I had for Alan Moore has now been replaced with a stripped out version that's bloated with far too many pictures, bad grammar mistakes, and poor writing style. It has several factual inaccuracies, the most glaring of which is the fact that Watchmen is NOT the only comic to receive a Hugo award. Do I change it back? Do I leave it? Do I correct it and move on? My big problem here is that because of the huge amount of work I put into what was there before, my point total puts my avatar right at the top, and people will think I wrote this embarrassment. Gah! Any help, sage words of wisdom, or possibly valium would be much appreciated.

#2 Posted by jloneblackheart (5520 posts) - - Show Bio

When you become the top editor of a page, you take some ownership over it's content to a certain extent. If things are incorrect or just plain look bad, you take care of it (this should be for any page you find actually). When you do suspect an editor or abusing pages, including general misinformation or point spamming, let the mods know in a PM,

#3 Posted by ruckus24 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Aah, moderator induced valium. Thank you. I was hoping that was the feedback I'd get. Now I have to go find my notebooks.

#4 Posted by ruckus24 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

In researching this further, I see that Razza Tazz actually opened up a bounty on the Alan Moore page which resulted in the heavy edits. I have sent her a PM to see what's going on.

#5 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

The exact same thing happened with the Rulk page. Used to be nice and detailed with plenty of stuff about him pre-Rulk transformation and everything else. Someone stripped it down to single sentences (most of them have been beefed up since), but it's annoying since I remember writing a whole bunch of sections that were removed or are entirely absent from the page altogether now. Sigh.

#6 Posted by danhimself (22578 posts) - - Show Bio

just a suggestion for you big wiki editors....if you put a lot of work into a page why not back up your stuff on your own computer in case this happens?

#7 Posted by Digifiend (582 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyway, why on Earth can't the moderators and admins just revert to an older version in this scenario? Honestly, if that can't be done, the entire wiki software needs upgrading.

#8 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

just a suggestion for you big wiki editors....if you put a lot of work into a page why not back up your stuff on your own computer in case this happens?

That's what I've been doing with my projects :)

#9 Posted by wmwadeii (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel your pain, I'm currently working on a large overhaul of the Transformers Characters, and would have to update over 100 characters again if somebody ruins them. Hopefully the new Beta site that is in the works has the roll back ability.

#10 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Mods have roll-back ability, they just don't take solicitations for use of it.

#11 Posted by SC (13147 posts) - - Show Bio

Thankfully with the site revamp/redesign I believe there will be a history and roll back?!? No one quote me though, I just briefly skimmed then fell over when I saw that part. I suppose its as likely I fell and hit my head and am day dreaming at night again.

#12 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

We don't actually

#13 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@X35 said:

We don't actually

*rolls back to when that vandal was ruining all the DC pages and you lot did*

#14 Posted by Renchamp (2456 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

@RazzaTazz said:

@X35 said:

We don't actually

Those were saved by cached pages from Google searches.

#15 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@Renchamp said:

@X35 said:

@RazzaTazz said:

@X35 said:

We don't actually

Those were saved by cached pages from Google searches.

That is what we did

#16 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

i save everything i edit because people sometimes change it to something that is an absolute lie.

Like a while back someone changed hulks Intellect to being a retard. >__>