Does Being on the Cover of a Comic Count as a Appearance?

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

I was wondering would Superman's appearance on the H'el cover for villains month count as a appearance? Does Batman being on the Riddler's cover for villains month count as a appearance?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

@crazyscarecrow: generally cover appearances count, it is a little tricky though sometimes, for the villains months covers that have cover appearances that are not actually in the comic you need to add a note to the description explaining that the appearance is only on the cover if you add the character.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pikahyper  Moderator
Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Nope, because covers lie.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

@squares: please don't give incorrect advice for the wiki that will confuse people, I already answered the question, cover appearances should be tagged but if they are not in the comic a note needs to be included.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@squares: please don't give incorrect advice for the wiki that will confuse people, I already answered the question, cover appearances should be tagged but if they are not in the comic a note needs to be included.

I'm not giving incorrect advice. Comic covers often depict events that don't happen in the comic itself, and sometimes feature characters that don't appear at all (or just briefly).

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Cover appearance count, that's how we roll in the CV wiki, nyak nyak.

BB

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pikahyper  Moderator

@squares: while it may be true covers are often deceptive it doesn't change the fact that a cover appearance still counts so you are incorrect. I would recommend you go through the style guides and other wiki related advice threads before editing the wiki again.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10 fesak  Moderator

How did we decide on alternate covers again? Seems stupid if we should tag Deadpool on all comics the months when they have him on all alternate covers.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pikahyper  Moderator

@fesak: ya I'm still a little eh on that, what it came down to was it was ok as long as a note was included in the description.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12 JediXMan  Moderator

In my opinion, it should only count for the primary covers, not alternates.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#14 The Poet  Moderator

I have nothing to add, but I wanted to say that I added a s to the title because "doe" was bugging me.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

@the_poet: Thanks! You saved from looking stupid somewhat.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

I think it was decided that there are those that collect comic book cover art and therefore linking the cover characters is highly useful for them, and that they are more likely to use our wiki.

Plus there are those people that try to answer the "What are all the characters on the Crisis on Infinite Earths?' cover or some such question and having a reference for that is also useful.

I understand about the alts being a pain as well, but for companies like Zenescope that put so much effort into their alt covers, it can also be useful to find them this way.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz: Ok so this also applies to alt covers too is what you are saying?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

@crazyscarecrow: I will say that seeing as the wiki mods never reached a consensus on the question, that enough people do it that it is essentially a rule. It would be hard to reverse now.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fesak  Moderator

I'm against the idea of characters being credited whilst not being seen anywhere within the book.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#20 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Late to the party but...

@fesak said:

I'm against the idea of characters being credited whilst not being seen anywhere within the book.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

One a bit of a related note with the appearance counter:

Is it just me or is the counter offering a virtually useless number when it simply counts everything thats being put into the various databases?

Like, it's counting:

• Single issue appearances in every language the book is being printed in (Like an X-book is usually printed in at least 4 different languages, and they all count)
  • TPB's containing the same single issues and in all the printed languages. (Which means the X book is now getting 8 counts for one issue)
  • OGN's
  • Collected editions of various shades.

So we have characters like Wolverine appearing in a colossal 14.000, while someone like Wonder Woman, a far older character thats been in print non-stop since her creation, only cranks up a measly 4.500 appearances. I know Wolverine is probably more popular than WW right now, but seriously; I don't think Wolverine has appeared on 14.000 different pages let alone in that many issues.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

One a bit of a related note with the appearance counter:

Is it just me or is the counter offering a virtually useless number when it simply counts everything thats being put into the various databases?

Like, it's counting:

• Single issue appearances in every language the book is being printed in (Like an X-book is usually printed in at least 4 different languages, and they all count)
  • TPB's containing the same single issues and in all the printed languages. (Which means the X book is now getting 8 counts for one issue)
  • OGN's
  • Collected editions of various shades.

So we have characters like Wolverine appearing in a colossal 14.000, while someone like Wonder Woman, a far older character thats been in print non-stop since her creation, only cranks up a measly 4.500 appearances. I know Wolverine is probably more popular than WW right now, but seriously; I don't think Wolverine has appeared on 14.000 different pages let alone in that many issues.

I get what you mean, though I wouldn't list OGNs in the same group because they're new stories and some collected editions might have stories that haven't been published before.

But adding international appearances are useful for international users, for example.

BB

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Outside_85

I get what you mean, though I wouldn't list OGNs in the same group because they're new stories and some collected editions might have stories that haven't been published before.

But adding international appearances are useful for international users, for example.

BB

Well my list was just a mix of the things the counter currently adds, and OGN's should be added, but I don't think that international versions of the same stories should.

I don't have a problem with the international editions appearing on the site either, they just make navigating the appearance-sections more difficult, that's all.

I could wish that CV would implement some-kind of sub grouping for the various editions of the different books like Wikipedia has a list of language options for ever single article (providing someone has written one in that language ofc).

Like when we enter Wolverine's Comics tab we are met with this his top 8 books by the number of appearances:

1. Wolverine (280 appearances) an Italian edition
  2. The Uncanny X-Men (257) the original English version
  3. Gli Incredibili X-Men (216) (Italian version of Uncanny X-Men)
  4. Wolverine (186) the English version of the first place holder.
  5. Wolverine Seval (157), the French edition of Wolverine
  6. X-Men Delux (157, Italian)
  7. Essential X-Men (145)
  8. X-Men (138, French)

Now I don't know how difficult and time consuming it would be for CV's engineers and designers to make such a thing, but a small language filter option would be really nice, since I assume most of us here, at best, speak and read 3 languages but only read our comics in one.

Note: It appears I exaggerated the number of Logans appearances since it's only just over 10k he has and not 14k.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pikahyper  Moderator

@outside_85: I've been asking for tweaks that help distinguish American from foreign editions for years now, hopefully someday some of them will get implemented. This kind of thing happens with all of the comic wikis though, just one of the downsides of comics being global entertainment.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: has there been a reason why its never been implemented?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pikahyper  Moderator

@outside_85: not really it is just a matter of priority and time I'd guess, making sure the site works and adding more important features tend to be more of a priority then smaller convenience features. There are still a lot of bugs to work out and re-coding of some current big features so most of this little stuff gets added to a list to be looked at when there is time.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: hmm... so it's unlikely to happen since news dont stop coming :S

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pikahyper  Moderator

@outside_85: nothing is impossible, the engineers are very busy since they have to work on a lot of sites but eventually I think more good things will start happening here.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fesak  Moderator

It vould be neat to have a dropdown menu on the volume pages to be able to select country of origin. Or maybe a little nation flag icon.

Youmika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@fesak: Oh yes that would be very cool!

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Manchine

Didn't know that either.... cool thanks for the info. =)

@crazyscarecrow: generally cover appearances count, it is a little tricky though sometimes, for the villains months covers that have cover appearances that are not actually in the comic you need to add a note to the description explaining that the appearance is only on the cover if you add the character.