#1 Posted by NetSpiker (294 posts) - - Show Bio

I've noticed that the Spider-Man page has Puny Parker listed as an alias and the Wolverine page has Little Man listed as an alias. Should we really be including insulting nicknames as aliases?

And speaking of the Aliases section, can we make a rule that they should be listed in alphabetical order or some other order? Some characters have dozens of aliases and it looks kind of messy when editors just add names anywhere on the list.

#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Good question. I honestly don't think they should.

#3 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

if they been called it allot yes. That is how they get away with Eggman in the Archie Comics.

#4 Posted by pikahyper (11512 posts) - - Show Bio

That is indeed a good question, I'd say no also.

I think putting the aliases in alpha order is another one of those unwritten rules, don't think I've ever noticed a character with an alias list that wasn't in alpha order o.o

#5 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Hazel that would be saying that a nickname/insult is the same as an alias. I think an alias should be something that either the character has called him or herself or responds to.

#6 Posted by NetSpiker (294 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Really? I've never noticed an alias list that WAS in alphabetical order.

#7 Edited by NetSpiker (294 posts) - - Show Bio

My opinion is that a nickname should only be included in the alias section if it is mentioned in narration (i.e. Man of Steel) or the comic's title (i.e. Jughead).

It's interesting to know that Batman assumed the identities of Matches Malone, Lester Kurtz, Lefty Knox, Gordon Selkirk and Frank Dixon in various issues. It's also interesting to know that Batman was Green Lantern in an alternate universe. But I don't think anyone cares that Batman's friends and enemies sometimes call him "Bats". That's why I think we should clean out the alias sections of major character pages.

#8 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7572 posts) - - Show Bio

How do you think all the villains from Dick Tracy got their names? And how do you think Dick Tracy got HIS name.

#9 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's in print it happened, despite how many times or our personal tastes for it. Bio's should be about completion and done with subjectivity, lest we become known as another site whose bio's are unreliable because they're swayed by fan opinions. Same goes for any other consideration like this as far as I'm concerned. Then again we allow nicknames and entire bio names made up by readers that have never been mentioned in the comics themselves, so mind you this is just my stance then.

#10 Posted by Billy Batson (57775 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember that some characters had aliases dick and bastard as their aliases, lol.

BB

#11 Posted by pikahyper (11512 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE said:

If it's in print it happened, despite how many times or our personal tastes for it. Bio's should be about completion and done with subjectivity, lest we become known as another site whose bio's are unreliable because they're swayed by fan opinions. Same goes for any other consideration like this as far as I'm concerned. Then again we allow nicknames and entire bio names made up by readers that have never been mentioned in the comics themselves, so mind you this is just my stance then.

Whats to stop users from adding internet screen names as aliases then? There have been a lot of characters that have "chatted" online in the comics using screen names like we all use, those don't have a legitimate place, off the top of my head I remember Iron Man, Robin, Nightwing, Black Canary & Batman using screen names and I'm sure there are a lot more.

@NetSpiker: I guess I don't spend enough time on character pages :P Last character I really paid attention to the aliases for was Crazy Jane and all hers are in proper order.

#12 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

No they shouldn't be added unless the character himself actually used it as an alias, or is if it's a well-known nickname that makes it easier to find the page (f.ex: Rulk)
It's amazing how many people doesn't seem to know what an alias means.

#13 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

a·li·as

[ey-lee-uhs] Show IPA noun, plural -as·es, adverb

noun1.a false name used to conceal one's identity; an assumed name: The police files indicate that “Smith” is an alias for Simpson.

adverb2.at another time; in another place; in other circumstances; otherwise. “Simpson alias Smith” means that Simpson in other circumstances has called himself Smith.

#14 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper said:

Whats to stop users from adding internet screen names as aliases then? There have been a lot of characters that have "chatted" online in the comics using screen names like we all use, those don't have a legitimate place, off the top of my head I remember Iron Man, Robin, Nightwing, Black Canary & Batman using screen names and I'm sure there are a lot more.

Well internet screen names are aliases.

#15 Posted by pikahyper (11512 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yumulu: But there is zero reason to include them.

#16 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: For completion sake or just because it interesting facts; the section is called aliases not some aliases or most used alias.

#17 Posted by pikahyper (11512 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yumulu: Well as per fesak's last post screen names would not count so this discussion is moot.

#18 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: @fesak said:

No they shouldn't be added unless the character himself actually used it as an alias

Well it seems fesak was responding to the original question as to know if insulting nicknames count as aliases. I am only responding to the comment you made about internet screen names. And well there nothing in his last post that would say otherwise, I think we can all agree that when someone use an internet alias he use it himself?

#19 Posted by pikahyper (11512 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yumulu: I was mainly talking about his second point "well-known nickname that makes it easier to find the page", a screen name used in a single issue will not make a character easier to find and no user would ever attempt to search with it, if there was a way to make it so searching by that alias tells you what single issue it appeared in then ok I can see it being useful but we don't so its just a useless piece of data.

#20 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

should we make another part to their profile and call it nicknames and insults to make it easier. their nicknames and insults since are helpful information.