Dial H For Hero Characters

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

The most recent Dial H series has established that the H-Dials borrow personalities from other universes, so the heroes dialed are actual characters. I realize this is a retroactive idea for New 52, but if that's the current working idea, then can the heroes and villains from the previous Dial H series receive wiki pages? If so, I'd really like to work on that. Please let me know. Also, certain characters have stub pages already.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

I'd be hesitant in OKing that. It would be a definite no for pre-New 52 stuff as that was already decided on a while ago.

@fesak

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: also @fesak - I would bet that "a while ago" was before the New 52 series set this new parameter. In the wiki rules for pictures, the rule is use a current picture for the default, not a picture from 5 years ago, or an alternate universe, etc. If that's the rule for pictures, why isn't it the rule for the characters as well?

The current DC parameter for Dial H is that the dialed personas are being borrowed from actual existing heroes. The dials used in the current series are the same as Robby Reed's/Nick Steven's, and Chris & Vicki's dials were derived from that dial. Retroactive continuity is included in the wiki all the time. Why is Dial H different? There are plenty of one-appearance characters in the wiki, so that shouldn't be a reason.

Also, the Dial H villains aren't in the wiki? They weren't dialed personas. Many of them were genetically engineered clones, but so are the characters from Project Cadmus, and several of the characters from Spider-Man, all of whom have their own pages. These villains should have their own pages. If you're going to include the villains (and you should) then you should include the heroes they fought against as well.

I'm asking whoever makes these decisions (and who is that, anyway?) to revisit this, and reconsider. The dialed personas are now established as existing in the DC Universe, independent of the dialers. These characters should have their own pages. H'el got a page before we knew who or what he was- why shouldn't the Dial H characters?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@cbishop: alts/clones are only given pages if they are significantly different and/or have a lot of appearances and even then it is on a case by case basis and the decisions are made by the wiki mods or staff.

I believe the last time the Dial H characters were brought up was earlier this year, I don't know if this new aspect was introduced before that but I'm guessing the last discussion happened because of that new aspects usage.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cbishop

@pikahyper: Again, with that new aspect, it means these characters exist in the DCU now, so could show up on their own any time a creator gets a wild hair to use them. These Dial H appearances are the characters' first appearances, and that info should be preserved.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6 fesak  Moderator

If i understand correctly the H dial gives you the power to temporarily transform into someone else..? It might be comparable to a shape-shifter mimicking someone, and we don't make separate pages for that.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pikahyper  Moderator

How bout just using a list for each issue with a header of Transformations and then adding an alphabetical list of the transformations in that issue with the characters name and power? That way the data is preserved without creating large amounts of pages.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fesak said:

If i understand correctly the H dial gives you the power to temporarily transform into someone else..? It might be comparable to a shape-shifter mimicking someone, and we don't make separate pages for that.

Yes and no. In Dial H, the dialer actually dialed the Flash, and in the same month's issue of Flash, the speedster lost his powers. So it's more than just mimicking the appearance. The dialer is actually taking the hero's powers, not mimicking them.

The point is: the dial isn't just making up these personas from thin air. The heroes exist in the DCU. Shouldn't they therefore get their own pages?

How bout just using a list for each issue with a header of Transformations and then adding an alphabetical list of the transformations in that issue with the characters name and power? That way the data is preserved without creating large amounts of pages.

I think that's a great idea, but I think it should be done in addition to creating the character pages.