#1 Posted by ruckus24 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi everybody, 
So I've talked a little about this to Pikahyper, and we agreed that the creator pages on The Vines are (how to put this politely...?) Ah yes, sub par. Part of this I think is that we just don't have a good style guide for Creator pages. Nor have I even seen a good template to work from. In response to this I've worked up a page for everybody to inspect. I'll take any suggestions anybody has, and if they're workable, I'll put them into the page and we'll go from there. 

Thanks everybody,
Dan

The link to the test page is right here.

#2 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that that template is really good and give quite a bit information.
#3 Posted by ruckus24 (137 posts) - - Show Bio
@StarKiller809: Thank you, any suggestions?
#4 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think there is anything really wrong with the template. I think that it gives a lot of info and is very well orgainized. If there is anything that needs to be done maybe is more info on other creators pages. (Not Howard Chaykins' because it looks like there is a lot of info there all ready)
#5 Posted by pikahyper (12186 posts) - - Show Bio
@ruckus24: I like it, I just wish parchment didn't create all that nasty extra space. One thing I would suggest is for the Other Media Work section to link to other Whiskey sister sites, each movie/tv show title can be linked to its corresponding screened.com page. Also the extra space before and after the year in the Other Media Work section isn't really necessary, a comma and space is enough.
Moderator Online
#6 Posted by ruckus24 (137 posts) - - Show Bio
@pikahyper: Ok, implemented the changes. Much better. Thank you. And you're right about the extra space, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it.
#7 Posted by pikahyper (12186 posts) - - Show Bio
@ruckus24: still looks good. The extra space is a by-product from parchment the text editor used for Whiskey sites, I believe it is an issue that is to be fixed in a future version of parchment.
Moderator Online
#8 Posted by Blurred View (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, now this topic comes up. I was on a creator editing kick a few days ago and wrote pages for Greg Rucka, Judd Winick, Greg Pak and... I actually forget. One or two others. 

I played with the idea of created characters lists because it's just something I thought was interesting and there's no sidebar function for it like there are for characters with lists of their friends and enemies. I just think it's nice to see what characters a creator is responsible for creating. It says a lot about their work and their legacies.

#9 Posted by pikahyper (12186 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blurred View said:
Oh, now this topic comes up. I was on a creator editing kick a few days ago and wrote pages for Greg Rucka, Judd Winick, Greg Pak and... I actually forget. One or two others.  I played with the idea of created characters lists because it's just something I thought was interesting and there's no sidebar function for it like there are for characters with lists of their friends and enemies. I just think it's nice to see what characters a creator is responsible for creating. It says a lot about their work and their legacies.
I think a list of created characters is a great idea as long as that's all it is, it would suck to see it get abused and turned into "characters worked on" or some such that results in a horrifically long list just used for point whoring.

Any time you (or anyone) have any ideas for making the style guide better don't hesitate to post a thread or add to the discussion in the Style Guide thread, anything that will help the wiki become more structured, standardized, informative and profession will benefit everyone.
Moderator Online
#10 Posted by Blurred View (363 posts) - - Show Bio
@pikahyper said:
I think a list of created characters is a great idea as long as that's all it is, it would suck to see it get abused and turned into "characters worked on" or some such that results in a horrifically long list just used for point whoring.

Yeah. That would just confuse things way too much as well. There's at least a clear distinction with created characters. Letting it get into the "characters worked on" range would just obscure things way too much.
#11 Posted by ruckus24 (137 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blurred View: Okay, here's my thing about the "Characters Created" section idea. I think as long as the writer is credited along with the artist this would be fine. In most cases there's at least two creators for any given comics character, and I think the section should reflect that. Thoughts?
#12 Edited by pikahyper (12186 posts) - - Show Bio
@ruckus24 said:

@Blurred View: Okay, here's my thing about the "Characters Created" section idea. I think as long as the writer is credited along with the artist this would be fine. In most cases there's at least two creators for any given comics character, and I think the section should reflect that. Thoughts?

How bout making it a table? the headers would be Character Name and Co-Creator like so: (oh don't click the links they just go to the CV homepage)

Characters Created

Character NameCo-Creator
Character NameSome Name (writer)
Character NameSome Name (writer)
Character NameSome Name (artist)
Character NameNone

and then have character names link to the actual character and then if there is a co-creator also have them linked and what role they played in the creation. Keeps everything neat and organized. Additional columns could be added for publisher and creation year but they would really be unnecessary since that is info a user could get on the characters page. 

Edited to add: 
Also since some creators do multiple things a third column could be added called something like Creator Role or Role in Creation so artist, writer or whatever can be added to show the page's creator role in the creation process.
Moderator Online
#13 Posted by Blurred View (363 posts) - - Show Bio
@ruckus24@pikahyper: A table would be a really good way to organize any additional information to the lists. But I have to question how necessary that additional info really is, including co-creators. Every character page should have the full story on that character's creation, especially the writer and artist who created them. So it's not like a co-creator is being overlooked or not credited by not being mentioned on the other co-creator's page. People can easily click on the character's name and be taken from the creator's page to the character's page to read the context of how that creator was involved. 

I may play with the table idea still. If nothing else, it could help condense that section by giving each publisher a column, shortening the overall length the of the lists.
#14 Posted by pikahyper (12186 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blurred View: Very good point, tables really are great for tabular data. I used them on the Elseworlds page, some of the data was repetitive but it worked for the concept.
Moderator Online
#15 Posted by Blurred View (363 posts) - - Show Bio
@pikahyper: Nevermind. My plan there did not go as... planned.  I didn't realize the table controls on the editor were that limited. The lists don't work so well side-by-side when the vertical align is stuck at centered.
#16 Posted by pikahyper (12186 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blurred View said:
@pikahyper: Nevermind. My plan there did not go as... planned.  I didn't realize the table controls on the editor were that limited. The lists don't work so well side-by-side when the vertical align is stuck at centered.
yep very limited, tables here can be pretty difficult to work with since the table right click menu does not override the default browser right click so they overlap each other until you click the browser title bar and if you make any mistakes it can get frustrating fast. Judging by the screenshots of the new Parchment editor it may get a lot better.
Moderator Online