Contribution points

asxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By asxz

Is there a breakdown somewhere for how many points you get for each type of contribution?

I added a whole bunch of friends and enemies to the Teen Titans today and got nothing for it.

Just wondering, thanks.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

Pictures - 2

Any Text, no matter how big or small - 1

That's all I know.

asxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By asxz

I feel like I've been getting 5 points for every friend I added. Am I wrong?

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Points are getting updated this week. Updates to bios, especially if you do a big change to a bio will be awarded with way more points. Obviously its harder to write well, so more points should be awarded then say, uploading an image.

Points will be awarded for other things on the site as well. This holiday kinda threw a monkey wrench into a site launch. We didn't know the site would be as popular as it is so quickly. :)

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Hawk

Bump....is there a forumla for the points?
Like 100 words = 100 points?

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Yes there is a formula for the points.

Johnny Knights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Johnny Knights

so whats the formula

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator
Johnny Knights said:
"so whats the formula"
The formula is mathematical.
Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hawk

Ok  I was wondering cause I thought what I submitting the last night was about the same as the night before....got half the points.

Hellnbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hellnbak
@Red L.A.M.P.:@Red L.A.M.P. said:
"

Points are getting updated this week. Updates to bios, especially if you do a big change to a bio will be awarded with way more points. Obviously its harder to write well, so more points should be awarded then say, uploading an image.

Points will be awarded for other things on the site as well. This holiday kinda threw a monkey wrench into a site launch. We didn't know the site would be as popular as it is so quickly. :)

"
You speak of "uploading an image" as if it's second banana to everything else on here, and isn't worthy of points.  Suppose you spent many hours lovingly (and painstakingly) restoring a cover to pristine condition (only to have it shoved beneath a scan readily available online everywhere).  If it weren't for the images, this would be a pretty boring site.
Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@Hellnbak said:
" @Red L.A.M.P.:@Red L.A.M.P. said:
"

"
You speak of "uploading an image" as if it's second banana to everything else on here, and isn't worthy of points.  Suppose you spent many hours lovingly (and painstakingly) restoring a cover to pristine condition (only to have it shoved beneath a scan readily available online everywhere).  If it weren't for the images, this would be a pretty boring site. "
I love it!  You're replying to a post I made almost 3 years ago :) 
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By xerox_kitty
@Hellnbak said:
" @Red L.A.M.P.:@Red L.A.M.P. said:
"

"
You speak of "uploading an image" as if it's second banana to everything else on here, and isn't worthy of points.  Suppose you spent many hours lovingly (and painstakingly) restoring a cover to pristine condition (only to have it shoved beneath a scan readily available online everywhere).  If it weren't for the images, this would be a pretty boring site. "
I have spent many hours painstakingly removing logos from covers to post them as just scans.  Yet I'd gladly see the removal of points from all kinds of scans to stop the barrage of spam from certain members who contribute nothing but fan art that they find elsewhere on the internet.
Gene_Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gene_Pool
@xerox-kitty:
You have my thanks for the logo removal :)  

And I hope I'm not a bad contributor O.o I try to upload images that I think are nice
Hellnbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hellnbak
@aztek the lost: 

A good image is just as worthless as a crappy one?  Don't really understand your logic there.
Hellnbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hellnbak
 "No matter how much I work to find quality images or edit a picture, 99% of the images uploaded aren't worth squat "

Even more reason to reward those few who put the time and effort into ensuring their images are worth squat.  If the system is broken, why not at least make the effort to fix it, or at least make it better.
Hellnbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hellnbak

Yes, points do give you something -- editing privileges.  Something I would like to have since I'm willing to put the time and effort into a rather stagnant section (Famous Monsters Of Filmland).  It's not the type of magazine where I can contribute things like Main Characters, or Timeline, or most of the other categories.  At 1 point per cover, jeez.  yeah, I know, another "newbie" crying and moaning.  Maybe so.  Just disappointed, was excited when I found this site.  And complaining is not always a bad thing, when the situation warrants it.  Don't bother replying, I'm gone.  Have a good one.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

There's really no way to differentiate a good quality cover and a poor quality cover based on code (as far as I know). If you upload an image you get 1 or 2 points, awarded automatically by the system, not by the wiki's moderators. There's really no control we have over that other than increase the number of points for all image uploads in general. The problem with that is, if you peruse some of the character galleries on the site, people already tend to upload every damn panel a character has been in regardless of quality, novelty, etc. People upload images of the backs of characters heads...just awfulness. So really I think you just have to take pride in your own work, disregard the points, and know that your name will be under that image as the uploader and someone may come across it and say "damn thats a nice job that guy did". If you want the other covers removed and yours made the primary cover, you need to let someone with over 5k points know.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@Hellnbak: well you get like 14 or 15 for adding a new issue. Then adding any dates, creators, appearances add one to two points each. Throw in a plot summary and that is anywhere from 40 - 120, I've seen some peoples get into the hundreds for long issues. 

If you really look around the site, some of the pictures are really bad that are added. And that's the point hunters adding tons of useless pictures just for that one point. If it was more there would be some serious problems. Editing is more for your own self gratification. I love going back and looking at what I have contributed. Once you add that get cover you worked so hard on and finish writing up the issue, it will add up in points but more so it should make you feel like you did a great job. 

Live edit is a mere 1,000 points. After that, they really have no purpose. Think of it as a probationary period.
Refuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Refuel
@Shatterstar said:
" Yes there is a formula for the points. "
If like, if I did a whole character that no one has put in, image, powers, teams/friends/enemies etc. and that sort of stuff, how much of points do you think that is 500? 
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#26  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@Refuel: depends on how much information you add. You see the more popular characters have thousands of points on their page, because they have long histories. Images, powers, friends and enemies are all worth about 1 - 2 points. A regular sized paragraph is about 40 points. For example, I did this page from beginning to end, the character only appeared in 10 issues and I only included important information. It seems like an average size page for a character to me.
Refuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Refuel
@jloneblackheart said:
" @Refuel: depends on how much information you add. You see the more popular characters have thousands of points on their page, because they have long histories. Images, powers, friends and enemies are all worth about 1 - 2 points. A regular sized paragraph is about 40 points. For example, I did this page from beginning to end, the character only appeared in 10 issues and I only included important information. It seems like an average size page for a character to me. "
Okay, thanks!
KillerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By KillerZ  Moderator

Does it really matter how much points for what things we get, it should be more about adding info than gaining points.

KillerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By KillerZ  Moderator
@aztek the lost: I only have that much points because I don't like info holes and disorder, I'm weird like that :)
Varient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Varient
@KillerZ:
 I really didn't consider the point spread important,.. In fact,.. seeing  what I get for increased points - looks like work.