Comic Logo Creators - missing checkbox

selinadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By selinadee

It amazes me that there is no creator tag for comic logo designer, when the logo is such an important part of the cover design as a whole. Many comic companies spend a great deal of time hiring and briefing designers to create dynamic and relevant logos that contribute to the prestige and branding of their titles. Designers such as Chipp Kidd, Rian Hughes, Steve Cook, John Workman and Todd Klein himself. In fact Todd Klein has begun a well informed study of Comic logo creators here:  http://kleinletters.com/Blog/?page_id=2709 
For such a well designed and informative website, I think the exclusion of this creator credit has been an oversight by Comic Vine and I hope that it will be considered as an essential update.  
Thanks,
Selina

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Hmm. Not so much a bug as a feature you'd like to see. But I do like the idea.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mercy_

Whoops. Nvm. Thought this was in Bug Reporting for some reason.

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By JamesSpiring
Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Rheged

It might have something to do with the fact that there's no credit for "comic logo designer" on the page of creator credits in comics.

jrh7925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jrh7925
@selinadee said:
In fact Todd Klein has begun a well informed study of Comic logo creators here:  http://kleinletters.com/Blog/?page_id=2709
Todd's site is pretty cool! Thanks for posting it. I enjoyed reading through the origins and evolutions of some of my favorite logos.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#8  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

I'm with Aztek on this one.

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rheged

So, would this be ideal subject matter for a guide or a concept page?  I'm thinking guide, but remain confused about concept pages.

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By JamesSpiring
@aztek the lost said:
" I think the problem I see is you create a logo once...but to keep getting credited for it every time it's used in each issue doesn't seem to fit the idea of crediting creators of the comic IMO...I do know that creating the logo is important but again it just doesn't seem like the type of thing you credit in the issues so much as maybe mention in the description of the volume or something "
Good idea. The issues themselves probably don't even have the credit anyway, but if the logo creator is known, a volume page is a good place for it.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mercy_
@pikahyper
I'm with Aztek on this one.
Same.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty

I wouldn't want to see a creator listed on every single comic purely because they designed a logo.  It can be mentioned in the creator's own page.  They can be linked to the first instance that the particular logo is used, but shouldn't be added for every edition since.

selinadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By selinadee

I think anywhere is fine, just so long as there's actually an option for it.   The first instance that the particular logo is used is fine too.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#14  Edited By xerox_kitty

You're assuming that everyone else will have the common sense only to use it the once.  However, the majority of people would see it as an option to use all the time.  The Concepts are often confusing as it is.  Common sense is sadly a rare commodity these days.

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rheged
@digifiend said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" I think the problem I see is you create a logo once...but to keep getting credited for it every time it's used in each issue doesn't seem to fit the idea of crediting creators of the comic IMO...I do know that creating the logo is important but again it just doesn't seem like the type of thing you credit in the issues so much as maybe mention in the description of the volume or something "
Good idea. The issues themselves probably don't even have the credit anyway, but if the logo creator is known, a volume page is a good place for it. "
I agree.  The Volume Description would be best.  As Xerox Kitty said, if you have a check box for it be added, folks are going to add it every issue.  And if you somehow only add it to one issue, you'd have to search thru the issues to find that notation.  The Volume description seems ideal.