Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

New Avengers 44...

Don't read this if you haven't read the issue and are planning on it

spoilers

We have a situation where the Illuminati, Invisible Woman, and franklin Richards are in the book, but all of them, aside from a cloned Reed Richards (at least I believe he is a cloned), are Skrulls. when posting characters in the issue, am I right to assume that you would not  put any of those characters under the character section, based on the fact that the real versions of themselves are not in the issues?

I'd like to know everyone's thoughts/opinions, not just mods and admins

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Not many opinions by everyone, so i'll post mine.

No characters should be posted to an issue without them actually appearing themselves, Skrulls or someone else mimicking someone does not count as the real deal. Clones is a bit iffy, i guess it depends on the circumstances.
So, for example;  Hank Pym doesn't appear in any issue of the Initiative, Longshot doesn't appear in the latest issues of X-Factor and Cyclops doesn't appear in Young X-Men 1-5.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
fesak said:
"Not many opinions by everyone, so i'll post mine.

No characters should be posted to an issue without them actually appearing themselves, Skrulls or someone else mimicking someone does not count as the real deal. Clones is a bit iffy, i guess it depends on the circumstances.
So, for example;  Hank Pym doesn't appear in any issue of the Initiative, Longshot doesn't appear in the latest issues of X-Factor and Cyclops doesn't appear in Young X-Men 1-5."
It's an area where you'd have to go back and re-edit. When I posted the New Avengers issue earlier, I didn't put anyone in, except Skrull characters. With Initiative, you don't find out until what, like 12 issues in, that he's a skrull. I think Marvel is trying to ruin ComicVine.
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By John Valentine

Should Skrull impostor pages be made?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

there are a couple, one for wolverine and such....
i'm split on that though....

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By John Valentine
inferiorego said:
"there are a couple, one for wolverine and such....
i'm split on that though...."
Think about it... Spider-Woman...... she was in both New Avengers, Civil War, Mighty Avengers,..... I think all the issue pages should be made or it should be changed so that the Queen's in her place. 
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fesak  Moderator
aztek the lost said:
"than what about characters like Elektra? I mean, shouldn't they still be there even if they appeared as a Skrull? cause I mean, the page is titled Elektra, meaning if someone masquerades as Elektra they still are Elektra, are they not?"

If a skrull appears as Elektra, it's not really Elektra.
If Mystique (for example) appears in an issue disguised as Elektra we would put Mystique in the credits, not Elektra.

John Valentine
said:
"Should Skrull impostor pages be made?"

Yes, if they play a significant part.
There are a few already, for the Elektra skrull, Hank Pym skrull and Wolverine skrull for example.
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By John Valentine
fesak said:
"aztek the lost said:
"than what about characters like Elektra? I mean, shouldn't they still be there even if they appeared as a Skrull? cause I mean, the page is titled Elektra, meaning if someone masquerades as Elektra they still are Elektra, are they not?"

If a skrull appears as Elektra, it's not really Elektra.
If Mystique (for example) appears in an issue disguised as Elektra we would put Mystique in the credits, not Elektra.

John Valentine
said:
"Should Skrull impostor pages be made?"

Yes, if they play a significant part.
There are a few already, for the Elektra skrull, Hank Pym skrull and Wolverine skrull for example."
Which other reveals should have Skrull Impostor pages made?
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

WE SOLVED A PROBLEM!

f!!kin teamwork

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By gmanfromheck

To re-open the problem...we also have the policy that anyone using the mantle name becomes that character.  Take Robin for example.  An appearance by Robin could mean Dick, Jason or Tim.  Bucky is now Cap.  Wally and Barry are Flash.  It's all effed up.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fesak  Moderator
G~man said:
"To re-open the problem...we also have the policy that anyone using the mantle name becomes that character.  Take Robin for example.  An appearance by Robin could mean Dick, Jason or Tim.  Bucky is now Cap.  Wally and Barry are Flash.  It's all effed up."

Yeah, that makes it complicated.
However it's a difference between taking the mantle and impersonating someone.
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

What if, not to step on the policy, if each person who took over the mantle had a separate page? Mostly in instances where they became that character for quite some time. Flash, Robin.. etc.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By John Valentine
G~man said:
"To re-open the problem...we also have the policy that anyone using the mantle name becomes that character.  Take Robin for example.  An appearance by Robin could mean Dick, Jason or Tim.  Bucky is now Cap.  Wally and Barry are Flash.  It's all effed up."
We should have a page for the character's name and then have the mantle name as an alias, with the different stages and names explained in the bio.
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
John Valentine said:
"G~man said:
We should have a page for the character's name and then have the mantle name as an alias, with the different stages and names explained in the bio."
your idea is better
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck

DC is the worst at changing their characters.  With Robin, Dick has his Nightwing page and Jason has his...Jason Todd page.  Tim has his own page which I really don't like.  I'll only add Tim Drake if he appears out of costume.  Same with Wally West.  If he's in costume the entire issue, he shouldn't be added. 

With the Skrulls, it's a hard decision.  Think if someone looks back to even the World War Hulk where he beat the crap out of Black Bolt.  At the time, we all thought that was Black Bolt and were probably thinking, "Holy crap."  I don't really like the idea of going back and removing it or even adding the Skrull's real name, if it's known.  That sorta takes away from the original story.  There's also the question of whether or not the writer of that particular story knew that it was really a Skrull themselves.

It's hard looking at Hank Pym and Dum Dum in an issue and then say they don't have an appearance in it.  I know they don't but...

Hopefully the Invasion will end soon and settle this problem.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Actually, we need some better guidelines on this.

Example: Thriatlon is now 3-D-Man.
Both Triathlon and 3-D-Man already has their own pages, and are separate characters, so i don't see the necessity in combining them. 3-D-Man also appears alongside Triathlon in an issue of Avengers: The Initiative.
I would continue to use the Triathlon page and add that one to new issues, since 3-D Man might make more appearances. However as Triathlon now uses the name 3-D Man some people adds that one or both to new issues.

Also, its the exact same thing with Bandit/Night Thrasher.
I still use the Bandit page, since i think Night Thrasher's death is fake (no body, unreadable DNA traces) and i'm almost certain that the original NT will return soon.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gmanfromheck

I say Triathlon is 3-D Man now.  On the 3-D man page, it should reflect that he's taken over the identity.  If you pick up the current issue of Initiative, you won't see Triathlon in costume.  It's like adding Robin.  You shouldn't see Nightwing appearing in an issue of Batman dating back to 1940.  It's annoying as hell but once they take the identity, that's who they become.  It's not saying Triathlon's page needs to be wiped out or merged, it could just be linked back and forth on each.

I still say a hero should pick a freakin' name and stick with it.  Just like I haven't thought about changing my name here (the crazy "~" thing wasn't my doing).

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

By the way... I just took over the G-Man mantle.... change my page accordingly

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Now I'm aztek

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fesak  Moderator
G~man said:
"I say Triathlon is 3-D Man now.  On the 3-D man page, it should reflect that he's taken over the identity.  If you pick up the current issue of Initiative, you won't see Triathlon in costume.  It's like adding Robin.  You shouldn't see Nightwing appearing in an issue of Batman dating back to 1940.  It's annoying as hell but once they take the identity, that's who they become.  It's not saying Triathlon's page needs to be wiped out or merged, it could just be linked back and forth on each.

I still say a hero should pick a freakin' name and stick with it.  Just like I haven't thought about changing my name here (the crazy "~" thing wasn't my doing)."

I would argue that Marvel characters usually doesn't take over permanently, i can't really think of anyone that did.
I mean, does anyone actually think Steve Rogers won't be back as Captain America? Why not just add Bucky to the issues then, even if he's running around in a Cap suit.
It's pretty much the same as the reason you don't want Jubilee to be listed as Wondra in old issues.
fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Something i thought was going to be implemented in CV2.0 was the ability to add comments to characters appearing in a comic. Then you could write something like this:
Wolverine (skrull)
Spider-Man (clone)
Cyclops (actually Donald Pierce in disguise) or
Donald Pierce (disguised as Cyclops)

I think this would make things much simpler, and avoid a lot of confusion if used properly.