Changing a team to a character

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NetSpiker

I think Facehuggers (team) should be changed to Facehugger (character). This is because we already have an Aliens (Xenomorphs) team and it will be consistent with Alien Queen, Alien Runner, Alien Warrior and Predator, which are all listed as characters.

Whenever there's a race of monsters that don't have individual names, I think the entire race should be counted as a character like in the examples I mentioned above.

I don't think they should be counted as a team because some issues might only have a single member of the species. Furthermore, a team is a group of different characters.

Martians (In The Public Domain team) should be changed to Martian Soldier (Topps character). Martians (H.G. Wells) (team) should be changed to Martian (H.G. Wells) (character). Brumaks (team) should be changed to Brumak (character). Necromorphs (team) should be deleted since there already is a Necromorph (character). Wraith (team) should be changed to Wraith (character).

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

I guess there is lots to clean up still in the wiki. I think the first part makes sense, but the moderators would probably have to have a say for the second set of suggestions.

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it possible to directly change a team page into a character page or do I need to create a character page, move all the text and appearances, and then have the team page deleted?

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

Is it possible to directly change a team page into a character page or do I need to create a character page, move all the text and appearances, and then have the team page deleted?

You would have to create a character page and move all the content, I would recommend waiting for a mod to confirm that you're allowed to do that first. I personally think it should be a concept, Xenomorphs specifically have different stages in life; Facehugger, Alien then Alien Queen.

@pikahyper I thought you might like to clear this up.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#5 pikahyper  Moderator
cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cloudguy

I'll try to go into detail why changing some to concepts and keeping some as teams would make sense. If you have a race of monsters, aliens etc. that aren't named you have to take into account what they look like and how they develop. Xenomorphs have a variety of species, or life stages, having them as a concept would make more sense then having separate teams as they are all part of the same species, each form should and does have a character page.

Necromorphs, like the Xenomorphs should be a concept as they're are variety of different species. The Martians (both) and the Brumaks should stay as a team as they all look the same and don't have any sub-species.

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NetSpiker

@cloudguy: Your idea sounds overly complicated.

Brumaks definitely should be changed to a character because there's only one Brumak in the comics. There are some Aliens comics with only one Facehugger. And there may have been a Mars Attacks comic with only Martian but I'm not sure.

I've reposted my change requests on the Name & Aliases Change Requests thread. I really hope I get approval since I feel very strongly about this.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy: Your idea sounds overly complicated.

Brumaks definitely should be changed to a character because there's only one Brumak in the comics. There are some Aliens comics with only one Facehuger. And there may have been a Mars Attacks comic with only Martian but I'm not sure.

Sorry that it sounds complicated, it sounded simple in my head.

Well according to the Brumak page it's appeared in 3 issue's unless you can confirm that it's the same with with scans it would make more sense to keep it as a team. While yes they're times that only one member of a race/team appears it should still be counted as a team unless its unnamed. Character pages are for one person, accept for rare cases such as Sakon & Ukon from Naruto where they are conjoined (is that the right word?) twins, whereas a team normally means their is more than one. Unless it's named it's easier to keep track.

Ok lets take a moment to give it a try, lets say in one issue only a single Facehugger appears it would be counted as a character, then the next issue 5 appear, would that still count as a character or team, or even both? We would end up adding extra appearances which don't really count.

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy: Jamie Madrox is counted as a character even when there are multiple copies of him in one issue. It should be the same with Facehuggers.

If Monster Species = Character then we only need to change 5 pages.

If Monster Species = Team then we need to change more than 700 pages, since every Pokemon species is currently classified as a character.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pikahyper  Moderator

Species and races are team pages because they are not singular characters, that is how it has always been. As for Pokemon I know nothing about it but anytime I read anything about it in solicits the Pokemon are talked about in the singular, the names given are for the specific character in the story, if the characters do not have unique names that is a pain in the butt and technically all of them should be changed to team pages but if it is like I thought and you don't see them as races and instead they are treated as singular characters the majority of the time they might as well stay character pages. If you see any team pages that are currently character pages (other then Pokemon) create new team pages for them and move all the data over and put requests in for the deletions of the old character pages. If you plan on doing a lot make a list and run them by a wiki mod before starting just in case any shouldn't be done.

As for the Aliens stuff having both a character and team page has made it easier to distinguish what is in an issue, when any type of xenomorph or multiple Predators is in a comic the team page is used but when it is only a singular type the character page is also added, if there are more then one then the character page isn't added. This type of set up was put together for this specific franchise and does not work universally for all races/species.

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NetSpiker

@pikahyper: Well, that's very disappointing. I thought I had a strong argument.

I'm not going to change any character pages into team pages because I still believe it should be done the other way around. It doesn't make sense to have one set of rules for the Aliens/Predator franchise, another set of rules for the Pokemon franchise and yet another set of rules for everything else.

Is this the final decision on the matter?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pikahyper  Moderator

@netspiker: pretty much all the rules have exceptions, no rule can work universally when it comes to comic data.

Since no other mods have chimed in yet this can be considered the final decision. As it happens I understand why we do what we do, as do others, you have a varying opinion on the matter which is fine but right now changing how we do things isn't really a priority in the grand scheme of CV things.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy: Jamie Madrox is counted as a character even when there are multiple copies of him in one issue. It should be the same with Facehuggers.

If Monster Species = Character then we only need to change 5 pages.

If Monster Species = Team then we need to change more than 700 pages, since every Pokemon species is currently classified as a character.

Sorry for the late reply.

I see that Pika has sorted this. Jamie Madrox is counted as a character because it's his power to create duplicates of himself, they all have his personality so they are counted as the same person, although I do see where you're coming from.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#16 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I personally think Facehuggers should be merged into the Xenomorph page since its just part of their life cycle.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pikahyper  Moderator

@jloneblackheart: Normally I'd agree but there are issues where you only see facehuggers. I like the specificity.