Board Games?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to somehow collect board games into the wiki? Not all board games, but ones associated with comics. There have been a lot in recent years - DC Comics Deck Building Card Game, Legendary (from Marvel) and Batman Arkham Escape (among others) - and they are a part of comics. Any thoughts?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

eh I'd say no, it would be kinda weird.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Billy Batson

No.
BB

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why not if we are trying to be a comprehensive site? We have tv shows and movies with almost no connection to comics, but board games based on comics are not relevant somehow?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pikahyper  Moderator

@razzatazz: well they are relevant but I don't think relevant enough, they tend to serve a different niche market, seems like it would fit better on GB. How would you add them anyways? They don't really fit a page type and you couldn't add them to specific character/team pages as it could lead to too much data. The closest page type would be a concept page but if it is available editors might get it confused as something to associate to comics like Yu Gi Oh where card games are in every volume. I could see some of them being abused to a certain degree like Magic the Gathering, that is a massive franchise with a lot of data.

I do need to crack down on the tv shows being added though, some of that stuff is really stretching it too far, I've just been having a hard time getting into the habit of checking it regularly these past few months as I've been super busy online and offline plus there is just so much of it being added, very daunting.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

oh and if they were added it wouldn't be much of a leap for people to want to add trading cards, toys, statues and even games if they don't know about GB. At least with comics/movies/tv shows it is a sequential visual medium, those games don't really tell a story, at least not sequentially.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: I see no problem actually in adding playing cards and statues, but those could easily be put in galleries.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pikahyper  Moderator

@razzatazz: sure if we had a gallery system like the old one, with the current one eh not so much. Statues wouldn't be so bad but the trading cards would be a mess plus users already add single trading cards to popular character galleries. It is disjointed though and when there is no link between them or ability to add data to them they are something of an unorganized mess, it wouldn't be like comics where we sort them into volumes so everything can be seen as a whole, with a card here and there there would be no sets so it looses its usefulness other then to show "pretty" art work, kinda defeats the purpose of adding them for historical non-art reasons.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pikahyper  Moderator

A wiki is about the information and the connections that the data make, adding a sixty card trading card set as sixty single cards to sixty different galleries has no connection.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Agreed, as we are talking elsewhere about future changes, maybe this could be one though ...

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pikahyper  Moderator

@razzatazz: so you were thinking like if they added a new page type for it like when they added tv shows?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: A new page type would be interesting in this case, though really we could use a couple more anyway. I am not saying that it is necessary, and really could be put into a long concept page, just that it would add another facet to the site.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pikahyper  Moderator

@razzatazz: I think the only way it should be added to the site is as a new page type, adding them in any other way will just lead to an unorganized mish-mash with no easy formatting structure with a chance of redundancy.

I would agree that a few new pages types would be ideal, specifically Collected Editions and Books but Trading Cards, Table Top Games and Statues would make sense. I don't think it was easy for the engineers to add the TV shows though and some aspects were forgotten like visual formatting on some pages and reverse associations on pages like story arcs, until the site is more reliable/stable and all of the things on the to do list are taken care of and planned upgrades/features are implemented I try not to look to far in the future when it comes to adding stuff, too much needs to be done first before thinking ahead.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Agreed, I am just talking about the possibility though :)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@razzatazz: it's possible, I try to keep low expectations these days though, normal is all I'm hoping for for now.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pikahyper  Moderator

@renchamp: exactly, pretty much since the relaunch I've seen this site as having infinite potential and I was coming up with ideas on the reg, suggestion after suggestion, large amounts of time wasted on writing things up and researching when necessary and coming up with visuals/mockups but finally after a year I've finally sunk into a laid back position just praying for a stable site with a minimum of bugs (that have workarounds) where I am able to do what I need to do, once that shangri-la is available then and only then will I start dreaming about the future of CV again.

Any suggestions/ideas or promises of future features are just dangling carrots that never get within reach so I try not to get behind them anymore either as I don't like disappointing people.