Alternate Reality Teams

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

Would you add a character to a team if they were part of that team in an alternate reality?  I've found some characters have been added, while others aren't. 

For instance, The Brotherhood:  

In House of M, the Brotherhood was part of the NYPD so it wasn't the usual 'Evil' collection.  The members included Boom Boom, Feral & Thunderbird.  It hadn't occured to me to add Boom Boom as a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, because technically she hasn't been.  But that is the Earth-616 equivilant of the team.   Neither she, nor Feral or Thunderbird have been included as members.   

Likewise, members of the Age of Apoclypse version of the Brotherhood haven't been added either.  So characters like Box & Copycat aren't included as Brotherhood of Evil members.

However, the Wolfpack: 

A lot of the classic New Warriors were part of the House of M's version of the Wolfpack.  They had nothing to do with the Wolfpack in Earth-616, and aside from the name the House of M's Wolfpack essentially was the New Warriors.  However, Alex & Julie Power, Rage, Speedball and Turbo all appear listed as Wolfpack members. 

So, which is right?  Do we add alternate reality teams or not??

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

HoM didnt occur in an alternate reality/world persay, it was an overlap of 616, as indicated when the Exiles visited in world tour,
and of course many 616 characters coming to the realization that they were in a trap, then coming out of it all together.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

generally I notice a lot of alternate reality people as team members. I think it should be counted but it should mention that is was in an alternate reality on the members page. In my opinion, the member page should also mention if someone is a reserve member or no longer with the team. 

I don't read a lot of books with teams, so I get pretty confused looking at the members.

That's just what I think though, we'll see what a staff member or mod thinks.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

This is a slippery slope. There's probably 100 members you could add to the X-Men if What if? issues counted including Mr. Sinister, Sauron, Malice, Unus, Mastermind, Vanisher, Blob, etc.. It makes for a very ugly, impossible to digest roster page. I'm of the opinion members of alternate universes should be described in the body of the overview but not added as "official" members that display along the right hand side. I think that list should be comprised only of the main reality of whatever the team exists in.  

Exception being something like the Exiles where there isn't one main reality.

Strife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strife
@CATMANEXE said:
" HoM didnt occur in an alternate reality/world persay, it was an overlap of 616, as indicated when the Exiles visited in world tour, and of course many 616 characters coming to the realization that they were in a trap, then coming out of it all together. "
It still has an alternate universe number so it's technically an alternate reality
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

I'm thinking this issue might be something that could be addressed if the site were revised. Have 'alternate realities' as a tab on the left side like Key Story Arcs/Creators, Friends/Enemies are now. Then have the alternate reality tab break down each reality kind of similar to the friends/enemies section but more expansive for the ongoing ones like HoM, Ultimates etc. 
It looks awesome in my brain, if only I knew mootools and django...

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty
@CATMANEXE said:
"HoM didnt occur in an alternate reality/world persay, it was an overlap of 616, as indicated when the Exiles visited in world tour, and of course many 616 characters coming to the realization that they were in a trap, then coming out of it all together. "
It appears in the Alternate Realities section of many character pages.  Just like the Age of Apocalypse did.  It featured many characters in roles that they have never done before... that makes it an alternative reality, regardless of how long it lasted or the reasons why it came to be. 

@Shatterstar
said:
"I'm thinking this issue might be something that could be addressed if the site were revised. Have 'alternate realities' as a tab on the left side like Key Story Arcs/Creators, Friends/Enemies are now. Then have the alternate reality tab break down each reality kind of similar to the friends/enemies section but more expansive for the ongoing ones like HoM, Ultimates etc.  It looks awesome in my brain, if only I knew mootools and django... "
That sounds like a really good idea.  It would make it clearer and concise, and would allow for the many What Ifs and ElseWorlds.  Just so long as it has some sort of 'first issue joined/appered in' box.   

In a similar vein, there could be a 'Past Members' page for those who have moved on, to reflect the differences in roster (i.e. new & old X-Force).   That could habve boxes for when they joined, left and even re-joined teams.   

You should definitely mention this as a suggestion for the site!!
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Strife said:
" @CATMANEXE said:
" HoM didnt occur in an alternate reality/world persay, it was an overlap of 616, as indicated when the Exiles visited in world tour, and of course many 616 characters coming to the realization that they were in a trap, then coming out of it all together. "
It still has an alternate universe number so it's technically an alternate reality "
thats sort of moot. and past the point. the characters were the same characters, except the ones willed into existance around them,
and were in the same location start to finish. thats why its not as if they travelled, which explains it for the OP.

as for other realities however, sure. when hasnt this been done. its nothing new to any universe, in fact its almost a staple benhcmark of the craft.
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty said:
" @CATMANEXE said:
"HoM didnt occur in an alternate reality/world persay, it was an overlap of 616, as indicated when the Exiles visited in world tour, and of course many 616 characters coming to the realization that they were in a trap, then coming out of it all together. "
It appears in the Alternate Realities section of many character pages.  Just like the Age of Apocalypse did.  It featured many characters in roles that they have never done before... that makes it an alternative reality, regardless of how long it lasted or the reasons why it came to be. 

see above. your question pertained to why those characters were there. because the were the same characters, just under
the belief and illusion that they werent. they werent separate nor extra versions.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty
@CATMANEXE: No, my question regards whether characters shoudl or should not be included in a team's roster based on their appearance in alternate realities.  All I did was use House of M & the Age of Apocalypse as an example.  The fact that House of M was only a few weeks and you believe that therefore it doesn't count as an alternate reality is a moot (and wrong) point.
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

some people argue just because, even though theyre not being called out just informed, very well...

in the story the House Of M, the characters came to realise that they were in fact who they were, and not alternate reality counterparts (in effect theyd had the biggest ever brainwashing scheme pulled on them). this was the basis of the entire story. the ruse was undone, one by one. Emma Frost and Layla Miller took a huge part in this...

No Caption Provided
^ Emma Frost ( and Scott Summers ) under the belief that theyre other versions of themselves...

No Caption Provided
^ Emma becomes aware of the truth, and whats happened, and who she and everyone else really is. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

^ everyone else is let in on the truth...

for further example,

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
^ this is in fact the exact same person. noting Wolverine here because in his HoM book,
he senses nothing is right

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
^ same person. Peter is notable because...

No Caption Provided
^ of Brand New day, in which a similiar event has happened. Spider-man in BND is the same person as the two above, his enviroment has just been altered around him.

No Caption Provided
^ due to the cosmic consciuosness, Genis-Vell knew imediatly what had happened.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
^ the Skrulls knew immediatly!

so is it wrong? no, im absolutly 100% correct. again, this was pointed out in many books outside of the House of m and Secret Invasion arcs as well. I take it you didnt read the stories, or somehow forgot.

but back to the question, and why its not moot, which should be clear now. since these were the same people interacting, that means their affliations have carried over. they were the same people teamed and working together eitherway, and that hasnt been lost. much like...

No Caption Provided
^ Nick Fury's Secret War. Certain super heros are sent on amission. later their memories of their time together are erased.
But, they still remember anyways, having lived it, so they find themselves getting into contact with each other and forming...

No Caption Provided
^ ta-dah!

ive noticed sometimes persons pose a question....but i think at times thats only because generally its custom
to create a thread in question format, and the truth is they are saying their thoughts, and want only to be agreed with and credited for their creativity. this is noticed when i see myself or others sharing a differant point of view, and the OP responds rudely and defensively, which is the only reason i decide to continue my response.

that is the answer to your question. your welcome.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xerox_kitty
@CATMANEXE:  If you want to debate the minute details of whether different Earths are classed as an alternate universe then try Marvel Database, since their site has different pages for each different Earth.  However, CV treats the Elseworlds & Omniverses as different branches of the same characters.  Therefore your pic-spamming is pointless.  It doesn't change the fact that the House of M is treated as an alternate universe for the purposes of the Wiki pages.        

And I will not remind you again, I cited the Age of Apocalypse and House of M as examples.  I could have mentioned the countless What If...? universes or Elseworlds, but I chose to go with something that most people would recognise & understand.  You are arguing the wrong point.

So please, stop trying to argue something that I wasn't even asking about in the first place.