Adding Links To Pages

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

Edited By xerox_kitty

The other day I blogged about the formatting mess that someone had made of the Deadpool page.  I'm really sad to say that X-23 has also suffered greatly from more anonymous point-whoring members.  Therefore it seems necessary to write this mini guide.  This has been broken down into two halves: HOW to create links; and WHEN to add links.

How To Create Links

The Magic 'Link' Button
 The Magic 'Link' Button

How Do I Add A Link?

Easy!  Highlight the text that you want to transform into a link.  Then simply click on the chain link icon in the tool bar...

How Do I Link To A Comic Vine Page?

Automatically Searching
 Automatically Searching
Once you've clicked the Link button, a box will pop up.  It will search for Comic Vine for pages that are named after the text you've highlighted.  

Using X-23 as an example, there are lots of pages called X-23.  There's the character and four different volumes.  Comic Vine is clever enough to search for all these pages called "X-23", but it doesn't know which one you want.  Therefore you use your cursor to click on which page you want to link to... Then hit the big green 'Create Link' button. 

Linking To Pages You Can't Search For
 Linking To Pages You Can't Search For

How Do I Link To A Non-Database Page/An External Site?

This is helpful mainly for the Forums, blogs, etc.  If you can't find the page you want, or you want to add a link to an external site then don't panic!  Let's link to my ' Pulp Fiction Game' gallery page.

When you have the Link creation pop-up box open, simply click in the box above the Search box; the one uncannily named URL:  Then just paste in the URL address of the web page you want to link to.  Hit the big green 'Create Link' button & you're done.  

Note:  Do not add external links to Wiki pages.  We want everything to be internal Comic Vine pages.  You can link to external sources in Forum topics, blogs & other pages.

When To Add Links

When Should I Add A Link?

Links are usually added the first time a name is used.  It can be a Character name, Object name, Location name, Creator's name, Volume name, Concept name etc.  

Can I Add Links To Everything?

Simple enough... NO!!!!  

Do NOT Add Links To The Same Names Throughout The Same Page!!

For instance, X-23 has a deep connection to Wolverine.  That does not mean that you link to Wolverine's page every time his name is mentioned.  You ONLY add a link to him the FIRST time his name appears.  You don't add the link to all 66 times his name is mentioned.  

Why?  Because it looks messy & we want Comic Vine to look professional.  We don't need 66 links to Wolverine.  We need 1 link to Wolverine; the FIRST time he's mentioned!  If you add 66 unnecessary links that make the page look messy, then you are a point-whore!  Someone who only wants to gain points through excessive & needles edits.

Plot Summary: No Links Here
 Plot Summary: No Links Here

Don't Link Names In Issue Plot Summaries

This is an increasing trend... but it's a bad habit that isn't needed.  

Basically, all pages for individual comic issues already have long lists of every character, creator, location, concept, object & story arc involved.  Therefore you don't need to add links to every name in the Plot Summary, since there are already links in the characters list, etc.  To demonstrate, Age of X Alpha starts by explaining who the different artists were on which part of the issue.  But there wasn't a need to link to those creators because there are already listed in the Creators section of the page.

Note:  There are times when you may need to add a link in the lot Summary.  For example, to a character who is mentioned, but doesn't appear in the issue, or to another issue where previous events may have taken place (which would be useful in a cross-over event).

The End

So there ya go!  Easy to make links and when it's right to use them.  So if you see too many links on a page, make sure you hit the big green 'Edit This Page' and remove them.  
Don't make kittens cry (especially the xerox-kittens)...  Tidy the page up & earn yourself a place in Comic Vine Heaven...!
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

Nice job.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Bigheart711

I was about to PM you about this after seeing the last blog. Thanks for that.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Oh cool, I came across a page that... well yeah, every reference of Thor was linked and underlined, and there were like 40 references to Thor on the page so... 

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I see what you mean I see the same things linked over and over again on the Deadpool page, I saw wolverine linked about five times on the page, three of which were in the same paragraph. The X-men and Captain America were linked so many times I didn't even bother counting.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@xerox-kitty Awesome guide. Excessive linking drives me crazy.

You should also mention we don't want links to external sites on our pages (except of course other Whiskey Media pages). I'd edit it, but I can't do it from my phone. :\
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mercy_

Nicely done.  

@jloneblackheart: HATE not being able to edit (or delete) posts from the mobile site.

jrh7925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jrh7925

Very awesome guide! Yes, the multiple linking on some pages is annoying. 

Though I will respectfully disagree on linking in Plot Summaries. When I write a plot summary, there are often cases where I reference a little bit of backstory or meta information so that the issue does not seem like it happens in a vacuum. For instance, please reference my plot summary for Superman: Man of Steel #37. In it, Supes is plagued by alternate Batmen, and the main villains are from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns. Though Frank Miller is not a creator for the issue, nor would I tag it as part of the Dark Knight Returns story arc... unless I risk pikahyper's ire :) Still, I think the links make sense and give the reader a place to explore the inside references that we may take for granted. I guess I don't see a problem with linking in a Plot Summary, as long as it follows all the other standards you (and Red L.A.M.P.) have outlined.  On the flip side, I tend not to link a mundane object or location, and tend to only link characters, teams, and objects.

Virus_Warning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Virus_Warning

Thanks for the guide (yay I've done it right so far ^^)
-Virus

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 581

#10  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@jrh7925 said:

" Very awesome guide! Yes, the multiple linking on some pages is annoying. 

Though I will respectfully disagree on linking in Plot Summaries. When I write a plot summary, there are often cases where I reference a little bit of backstory or meta information so that the issue does not seem like it happens in a vacuum. For instance, please reference my plot summary for Superman: Man of Steel #37. In it, Supes is plagued by alternate Batmen, and the main villains are from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns. Though Frank Miller is not a creator for the issue, nor would I tag it as part of the Dark Knight Returns story arc... unless I risk pikahyper's ire :) Still, I think the links make sense and give the reader a place to explore the inside references that we may take for granted. I guess I don't see a problem with linking in a Plot Summary, as long as it follows all the other standards you (and Red L.A.M.P.) have outlined.  On the flip side, I tend not to link a mundane object or location, and tend to only link characters, teams, and objects. "

lol, I would suggest you add that TMOS issue to the Related Items section of the Dark Knight Returns story arc :D

(and thanks for bringing it to my attention I need to fix that story arc yet again.....)

Edited to add:
All cleaned up and ready for you to add that TMOS issue :)
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty
@jrh7925:
@xerox-kitty said:

"Note:  There are times when you may need to add a link in the lot Summary.  For example, to a character who is mentioned, but doesn't appear in the issue, or to another issue where previous events may have taken place (which would be useful in a cross-over event).
"

;) 

@jloneblackheart:   I'll add something about that later, when I get home :)
jrh7925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jrh7925
@xerox-kitty:  Sorry, I blame not reading that part on the cold medication... :)
Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By Hawkeye446

I have been wondering how to do this in so long, and never got around to asking, thanks :D
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty
@jloneblackheart said:
"You should also mention we don't want links to external sites on our pages (except of course other Whiskey Media pages)."
Added :) 
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Nicely put. These are definitely some key things I look for in people's subs and an easy way to get a sub rejected. 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xerox_kitty

Bump - To avoid duplicate topics.