undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

My first exposure to the dark, pulp-comics take on Spidey came from the (underrated) Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions and the character struck a real chord with me if, for no other reason, than it seemed like one of the truly unique, interesting takes on the character. A Spider-Man unlike any other we’d seen from any of the other-dimensional series in terms of both look, personality and setting, but I couldn’t track down the actual story for a few years. It was worth seeking out, though, and this issue, tying into Spider-Verse is absolutely worth checking out whether you’re a fan of either, or both, series. It doesn’t hurt that original series writers David Hine and Fabrice Sapolsky return to give the characters that pitch-perfect voice making them identifiable as the established characters, but also different enough to capture the feel of 1930s pulp. We also get the introduction of a pair of well-known Spider-Man villains in Wilson Fisk (who, appropriately enough, is essentially the same character) and the mystical Mysterio, both of whom slot perfectly well into the series.

Richard Isanove may be best known for his covers, but on this book he shows that he can get the little details of interior panel work right just fine. From the ruthless, brutish stance and style of this Spider-Man to the lithe, creeping grace of Doc Ock’s Superior model (who appears near the issue’s end), Isanove does a phenomenal job with the body language of the characters in this issue. Not just the Spiders’ either, but the entire supporting cast from allies to enemies all carry themselves with an air of realism. This is one of the most grounded Spider-verses, which is saying something for a 1930s blue-collar reporter bit by magical spiders, and this art brings that realism to the fore. The action, as well, is hard-hitting and has some vicious impact. There’s a raw bluntness to the violence that makes it all the more powerful and carry some real weight. The colors, also by Isanove, are subdued and mellow. There’s a murky, muddy quality to them, but they never look sloppy nor out of place. There’s an intention behind each and every one that communicates even more of this issue’s strength.

The Bad

This story feels like it could have fit right into a regular Spider-Man: Noir story arc, but since there’s only the one issue a lot gets compressed. It never feels truly rushed, but that’s mostly by virtue of a lack of establishing or expository writing. As a fan of the previous appearances of the characters, I was fine with this, but I could see someone who wasn’t familiar with the character being somewhat lost.

The Verdict

I’d love to see another long-form story with this character, and this is a great promise of that. I’m saying this as a fan of the character and especially of the setting, but I think the book does JUST enough to bring the reader into this world, though at that point it’s more in service of the greater Spider-Verse storyline. The art, though, is good enough to stand on its own and if you’re either a fan of this version of Spidey or want to know more about one of Ock’s most unusual soldiers against the threat recently introduced in SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, this is definitely worth a look.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MyNameIsWill
No Caption Provided

YASSSS!

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really REALLY hope we get a Spider-verse ongoing after this where we get stories of different Spider-men throughout the multiverse. Cause I have a feeling besides the ones we know, there are gonna be some new fan favorites, like the Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman, and so on! I've always loved Noir Spidey! I need to get my copy of Shattered Dimensions back so I can play as him again!

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedpool said:

I really REALLY hope we get a Spider-verse ongoing after this where we get stories of different Spider-men throughout the multiverse. Cause I have a feeling besides the ones we know, there are gonna be some new fan favorites, like the Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman, and so on! I've always loved Noir Spidey! I need to get my copy of Shattered Dimensions back so I can play as him again!

Agreed. I'd like to see an ongoing Spider-Verse.

chaddum96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this and the Gwen Stacy issue(depending if that issue is good) should get their own series. We have Miles Morales, why can't we get a Gwen Stacy as Spidey book? I'd buy that for a dolla!

ChocolateFrogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

It'd be great if one of the Spider-Men is regular-world, no powers universe Peter Parker who has radiation poisoning from the spider-bite and has three weeks to live, and uses his smarts to help save the day during Spider-Verse.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It's really strange that here I actually love SpOck and everything he is doing. I know he didn't have many pages at his disposal here or anything but he still rocked, also a pretty great issue that had one of the coolest versions of Spider-Man ever.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@tdk_1997 said:

It's really strange that here I actually love SpOck and everything he is doing. I know he didn't have many pages at his disposal here or anything but he still rocked, also a pretty great issue that had one of the coolest versions of Spider-Man ever.

SpOck is in the book? That's it I'm buying it.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:

SpOck is in the book? That's it I'm buying it.

He shows up in the end. In the last few pages.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: this is all building up to spiderverse, we now now that ock is the ringleader gathering all the spideys from the multi verse, so yea he should be in them all, hopefully

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack

I didn't like it. I found the whole thing really boring which was a bummer since i loved spider-man noir. I'm glad the creative team will keep changing because this was really not for me.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what Felicia will do with Peter's blood. Will she be the new Spider-woman of Noir ?