Does anybody here actually watch the Japanese version?

• 71 results
renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You don't know anything about Dragon Ball unless you've watched the original version at least once. Or read the manga. There I said it.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all can't be raging weaboos now can we?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

When I was younger and liked dbz I prefered the sub.

Goku is annoying in sub but everyone else is annoying in dub

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By botanix

@nickzambuto: true, if you did not watch japanese with subs, you did not watch dragon ball at all. Dubbed is so much different than subbed, its like watching a different anime. Subbed is way better. Funnier, not dumbed down dialogues etc. Not just that. Dialoges in dubbed version have been changed for no good reason, i guess so its more suitable and understandable to 5 year old kids.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By renamed040924

@nerevarine_11 said:

I've never been called a weaboo before. Dragon Ball is really the only anime I watch, and One Piece. Although for One Piece I actually prefer the dub. The difference with Dragon Ball is that the dub has a radically altered script and is tonally all over the place due to the original BGM. So my point was, you really aren't watching Dragon Ball unless you're watching the Japanese version, because the FUNi dub completely changes a lot of characters and as mentioned, changes the whole tone. The One Piece dub for example is actually accurate to the source so it's fine, and the same goes for Dragon Ball Z Kai, although since there's no Kai for the pre-Raditz stuff, you still can't be a true fan just watching Kai because then you're missing half the series. The Japanese is just the only way to go. Although maybe I was a bit too blunt with the OP lol

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ah memories of the annoying goku hehe

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: no you were not too blunt. Dubbing altered the script way too much to call it dragon ball.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I watch the English dub, because I don't like hearing what Goku sounds like if he lost his balls.

Pandalumina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sub and dub are both classics.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither are worth watching.

Kai_Aurelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch the English dub, because I don't like hearing what Goku sounds like if he lost his balls.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao. So this was a post. In terms of show, it's hard to care about script and tone when everyone sounds so bloody annoying. Good that the old lady has been Goku's voice for so long but she is ANNOYING. Not sure if trolling but watching one over the other doesn't make one a true fine. That's one of the most asinine statements someone can make in regards to a franchise.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't know anything about Dragon Ball unless you've watched the original version at least once. Or read the manga. There I said it.

Aren't you the same person who said Master Roshi and Oolong are forgotten DBZ characters lol.

zzagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

Aren't you the same person who said Master Roshi and Oolong are forgotten DBZ characters lol.

Oolong isn't even thought of or mentioned anymore, tbh.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have but the voice actors for the original are horrible.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think most around here watch the Dub to be honest (which, agreed, is horrible in most aspects).

I do like some of the music in the Dub (Cell's death is cool & Vegeta's Final Flash)

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Omega_kai

The sub is awful DBZ dub 4 life but I read the manga though.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really don't see the problem with the sub VA, it conveys dragon ball in a near perfect manner (and thankfully, Funi dubs have followed this manner)

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pointless all of us watch the same damn show. This is just elitist BS proving who's a "real fan".

SSbardock84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the dub but I've seen all of the sub for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. I never watched the sub for GT.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I prefer sub.

SSbardock84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linsanel_doctor: How come? Did you watch sub when you first watched the series so you were used to it more or is it just your preference?

zzagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the dub but I've seen all of the sub for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. I never watched the sub for GT.

Do you prefer Dub Goku and Bulma's personalities to original Goku and Bulma's personalities?

I was wondering lately if some people do actually just prefer the Dub's more Superman-esque Goku

Raizell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Never watched dub version of dbz before (aside from few youtube videos) I watched jap version.

SSbardock84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I watched a few dbz movies in japanese back when I was a kid, and I liked it. I'm now watching Super in Sub, because I have to. But I love it. I like the differences in the voices. So yeah Dub and Sub are great.

Also, I think Whis and Beerus have superior voices in the Japanese version. Their voices are more cheerful and full of personality. When I went back to watching the BoG and F dub, it was very underwhelming. Whis has a very boring and bland voice in comparison.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Blade_R

Yes, a lot of people have (or still do) but that is still a moronic thing to say. Yes the sub and dub are very different, but what difference does it really make? Unless you are trying to discuss the show with somebody who has only seen subs, it really doesn't matter lol

Lmao. So this was a post. In terms of show, it's hard to care about script and tone when everyone sounds so bloody annoying. Good that the old lady has been Goku's voice for so long but she is ANNOYING. Not sure if trolling but watching one over the other doesn't make one a true fan. That's one of the most asinine statements someone can make in regards to a franchise.

So yeah, pretty much this.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By Pharoh_Atem
Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: I guess it depends on what English dub they watched, cause that DOES make a difference XD

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By botanix

@never_give_up: This is pointless all of us watch the same damn show. This is just elitist BS proving who's a "real fan".

You are wrong, dub and sub is not the same show to be fair. Too many lines have been changed to call it the same show. Events maybe the same for both but its dialogues what make characters, gags etc...

Also there is no emotions behind Eng dub compared to Japanese one. English voices are not convincing, i know Japanese may sounds funny but its still a lot more convincing.

SSbardock84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Our new band teacher at school literally just asked me this question today lol.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@botanix said:

@never_give_up: This is pointless all of us watch the same damn show. This is just elitist BS proving who's a "real fan".

You are wrong, dub and sub is not the same show to be fair. Too many lines have been changed to call it the same show. Events maybe the same for both but its dialogues what make characters, gags etc...

Also there is no emotions behind Eng dub compared to Japanese one. English voices are not convincing, i know Japanese may sounds funny but its still a lot more convincing.

That's subjective. Others think the sub sounds terrible. Also the music. Bruce Faulconer is a beast. His tracks dwarf the sub IMHO. Saying English has no emotion at all is plain silly. Just look at Goku going SSJ for the first time.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Never have, never will.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: if it's the dub I think you're referring to, then he's right in regards to them not really being the same show.

The main story remained intact, but things from tone to the characters themselves were changed.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999 said:

@darthaznable: if it's the dub I think you're referring to, then he's right in regards to them not really being the same show.

The main story remained intact, but things from tone to the characters themselves were changed.

So if the plot is exactly the same but the tone shifts, it's an entirely different show? Lmao Yeah okay.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable:

Thing ate my post anyways here it is

When it changes the tone, personalities of characters, and adds things that really weren't there, then yes, it is different.

Unless you're gonna say that teen titans go is the same show as teen titans

Funny how you just pay attention to me mentioning tone though, when I mention that's not the only thing that was changed

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DarthAznable

@dbzk1999: Teen titans go isn't the same story. In fact it's a bunch of random bull. Terrible comparison. Dbz is the exact same plot dub or sub. You mentioned two things that was changed. Tone and characters. At the end of the day it's the same bloody show. Unless they switch storylines, it's the same thing. If I had a show, both have the same story, same events, but I'm mean in one show. It's still fundamentally the same thing. I'm just mean in one as opposed to the other. If you can point out what dub physically adds that wasn't in sub go for it. They switch lines, shit happens with anime. Goku is more selfish. He's still Goku at the end of the day. Still has the exact same accomplishments as dub Goku. If anything just say characters are different but the show is the same. I digress though. This disparity between sub and dub fans is moronic and you can't objectively say liking one over the other makes you a real fan.

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By botanix

@darthaznable:

They switch lines, shit happens with anime. Goku is more selfish.

You don't get it do you... Goku is not just MORE selfish, dub Goku is selfish when sub Goku is not selfish at all. That's a huge character change.

He's still Goku at the end of the day.

No he is not Goku. Dubbed Goku is not as kind as original one, he is not pure hearted, he is selfish, get cocky often and brags. Its a complete character change that makes him NOT Goku. What exactly you do not understand here? Sure, story line is pretty much the same but characters are not.

Dbz is the exact same plot dub or sub

So? Same story told in two ways can be either good or bad.

Want an example? Here it is, almost every single line has been changed. This scene is not a perfect example because it does not change characters, but if you actually watch dbz in dub than sub you will see that the characters have been portrayed in different wat. So again, not, just because they have the same names and the plot is the same, it does NOT make it the same.

Loading Video...

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DarthAznable

@botanix: Purists are a waste of my time. lol It's the same show, get over it. Goku is selfish in both but he's also a hero too. Hell all the times he's shown mercy and you still say he isn't pure hearted? What this basically devolves into is "I don't like the dub because the sub is the original". In that video they changed lines, that happens with translations, especially back in the day. That's not drastic in the slightest. There is no difference in character in that video. You could at least show something like Jap Goku vs Frieza vs Eng Goku vs Frieza. Bloody anime purists.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By silent_bomber

The Wikipedia synopsis also has the same plot as Subbed and Dubbed Dragon Ball z

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11 said:

I've never been called a weaboo before. Dragon Ball is really the only anime I watch, and One Piece. Although for One Piece I actually prefer the dub. The difference with Dragon Ball is that the dub has a radically altered script and is tonally all over the place due to the original BGM. So my point was, you really aren't watching Dragon Ball unless you're watching the Japanese version, because the FUNi dub completely changes a lot of characters and as mentioned, changes the whole tone. The One Piece dub for example is actually accurate to the source so it's fine, and the same goes for Dragon Ball Z Kai, although since there's no Kai for the pre-Raditz stuff, you still can't be a true fan just watching Kai because then you're missing half the series. The Japanese is just the only way to go. Although maybe I was a bit too blunt with the OP lol

What if you watch the pre raditz stuff in Japanese and switch to Kai for the rest?

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: I was referring to the general plot lines of both shows, which boiled down to, "Titans fight against criminals while living everyday lives". If you look at the general plot lines, then you get the same thing, but if you actually watch both, you see, "differences" to say the least.

Look at things from vegeta's death speech to goku, to the reason goku lets vegeta escape, to even goku's speech towards freeza.

That type of stuff leads to misconceptions about what the series is actually meant to be. (Which it did)

Seriously, compare these

(DB Kai speeches)

http://youtu.be/Hz-l0tHd2Jg

To this

(Dbz 90s Funi Dub Speech)

https://youtu.be/6gXGYKNQE9M

It's not even about being a purist, it's just that that specific dub of dragon ball just wasn't the same besides a general plot line

Compare the Funi dub of Kai vs the original Funi Dub

http://youtu.be/VhkDxfUmAv0

And the things that the dub added was a lot (from "arcosians" to King Kai knowing instant transmission,). Also, I didn't say that tone and characters were the only things changed. I said that things were changed from tone to characters, there's stuff in between that that I'd rather not list it down (as we'd be here all day if I did)

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

You're better off not watching it at all.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: heck, you can probably watch even the dub of dragon ball (which was pretty accurate)

Watching the Japanese version of dragon ball then the English dub of Kai is fine also (although they're still waiting to release the Buu Kai dub)