Doctor Who Episode #901: "The Magician's Apprentice"

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Warning: There will be some spoilers for this week's episode below.

Planes around the world are frozen in time and Clara heads to UNIT to figure out what's happening. Missy is sending a message to get Clara's attention. It turns out that the Doctor left a Confession Dial (basically a will) for Missy. The Doctor is going to die soon. The two have to team up to find him. It turns out it's all a plot by the Daleks to get a hold of the TARDIS as Davros has brought back the planet Skaro. The Daleks want to destroy the TARDIS. Everything is looking down for the Doctor.

No Caption Provided

Time and time again, the one thing that Doctor Who overdoes is the Daleks. However, writer Stephen Moffat, surprisingly, puts a new twist on a Dalek invasion story that hearkens back to the Tom Baker story "Genesis of the Daleks." The majority of the time, the Daleks are invading and exterminating, but we get a stationary enemy and a really dark and depressing side of Davros, as he remembers the time he was a boy where the Doctor went to save him, before he became the creator of the Daleks.

Everything about this episode goes back to the older Doctor Who series where the Doctor had chance after chance to kill or end the Daleks, but never did for numerous reasons, and most of those reasons where the Doctor didn't want to be a murderer, responsible for the destruction of a whole species of alien. As you might think, that came back to bite him in the butt as the whole planet Skaro returned, a reveal at the end of the episode which was an incredible surprise. Then, at the very end of the episode, the Doctor makes a decision to end it all.... by going back in time and possibly killing a young Davros. It's unexpected and a nice cliffhanger for next week.

While Moffat has shied away from two-part stories that aren't the conclusion, compared to Russell T Davies, who embraced it much more. We actually open up with a two-part story. The problem with that is that the episode doesn't start moving until the last 15 minutes. The slow-moving pace isn't necessarily problematic, but it will make the audience wonder why it took so long to set-up the last ten minutes of the episode. Frankly, it's refreshing to see this series open up with a two-part story since many opening series episodes, under Moffat's run, feel like nothing more than a throw-away episode. It leads viewers to believe this is a really good start to a new series.

No Caption Provided

Moffat seems obsessed with the death of the Doctor and his companions. Frankly, it's getting played out. With all the infinite possibilities this show could have, traveling through space and time, it all comes back to the Doctor and death. This whole episode kicks off with the Doctor's will and his upcoming death in the next day. However, the real plan is for the Dalek's to take the TARDIS and destroy it, but that's overshadowed so much by death that it really doesn't feel impactful.

The Doctor's entrance into the episode was by far the most ridiculous entrance ever, riding a tank and playing a guitar. It hits the view over the head trying to remind them that "the Doctor is cool." Thankfully, he didn't sing Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman," he just played the opening riff.

Regardless of that incredibly over-the-top entrance, Peter Capaldi still does a fantastic job at playing the role of the Doctor, especially in the moments where he's confronted by Davros. It's only been a season, but Capaldi seems to have really grasped the character incredibly quickly. I simply love what he's doing with the character here, except for the whole riding a tank thing. He truly has range of the character and really made it his own. I always felt like Matt Smith was trying to be David Tennant but a bit more cool. Capaldi does have some of those "look at me, I'm cool moments," but he feels like he's added his own spice to the character without straying too far from who he is.

Overall, "The Magician's Apprentice" was a solid kick off to series 9. Moffat does utilize some over-used elements in the Doctor Who universe, like death and the Daleks and gives it a nice twist. It was extremely nice to see the series open up with a two-part story, as the audience will feel a bit more invested with the rest of the upcoming episodes.

Quick Note:

While Missy and Clara were searching for the Doctor on the computer, the "Sound of the Drums" could be heard in the soundtrack. That was a pretty sweet callback. Or I'm just going nuts and the sound of the drums is always playing in my head... Call me The Master.

Questions of the Week:

• How many times has Jenna Coleman said she's leaving the show prior to a season?
  • Where did Clara and Missy actually go?
Avatar image for romthelegionaire
Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

The episode was almost pure set-up. I do like that it introduced this idea that the Doctor is in actuality the universes greatest hero and perhaps greatest villain; because while he saves people, he also inadvertently created Davros and Davros made the Daleks.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Just from watching the opening scene on Skaro, I'd assumed that the Doctor left Davros to be killed by the handmines because he couldn't bring himself to save someone who caused so much pain and loss, rather than the later narrative, in that he couldn't bring himself to kill him and by leaving him was repsonsible for the creation of the Daleks.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Voldermort, I mean totally unique and interesting snakes in a robe guy who shall hence forth be known as Voldermort has a pair of roller shoes and looks ridiculous. Also Dark Lord Davros? Subtle.

Review does not mention how useless and unneeded Unit are, who apparently are alien experts but when faced with extraterrestrial tech they are out of their depth and call in a English teacher. Our tax dollars at work.

Missy kills two random unit agents cause Clara told her a really obvious truth but thankfully Clara stops this madness with the totally not overdone plot armor of "You can't do X without me." AND HEY BIG SHOCK! It works. As Missy apparently can't find the doctor despite knowing him for centuries but Clara who has known him for about three years can find him in matter of seconds.

Also tech that shows anomalies in time across earth but planes stuck in the air is out of your depth? Could a helicopter not have gone up and done some recon? Anyone?

We then have the ever delightful return of Human-Daleks. Complete with stupid eye stork coming out of their heads. Have the Daleks fallen so far under Morffats pen that they can't even do simple handy work without a human?

Also Voldermort needs to decide to take Clara and Missy along why? What do they have? Davros wants the Doctor, the Daleks do not care for Missy or Clara so why agree to bring them? Oh look it is another famous case of "You can't do X without me." from miss Clara Oswald.

Doctor is taken before Davros which is the best bit about the episode. Shame it is like four minutes long and then results in Doctor watching action on a screen and reacting. Two ancient foes come together... to watch what's on TV.

Missy and Clara die, pity earlier on in the ep Missy reminds us all she did not die before, or when she did that thing with the Timelords several seasons back but whatever. So why should any fan under 5 seriously think she is dead now? Or Clara for that matter?

Then at the end the Doctor is so gonna kill young Davros said no one over the age of 5 ever.

Final note, so the hundreds of years of fighting on Skaro, war, desase, sickness and the gradual decay of life as the population mutates we are left with the impression Davros, lord and creator of the Daleks is they way he is, is cause the Doctor par chance met him and left him to die? Way to make it all about the Doctor instead of some people are the way they are due to their environments.

In short I did not find this episode enjoyable and think I cried blood at one point.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By sweatboy

so that's Maisie Williams?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#5 inferiorego  Staff

Review does not mention how useless and unneeded Unit are, who apparently are alien experts but when faced with extraterrestrial tech they are out of their depth and call in a English teacher. Our tax dollars at work.

Moffat has no clue how to use UNIT and it's apparent. They're forgettable and bumbling at best.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the moral was more that the doctors inaction, his decision not to save Davros caused the creation of Davros where as if he had saved Davros then things would've potentially been different, with Davros having an act of compassion added to his history

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

This episode was okay and I do agree that the last 15 minutes are amazing. Honestly I've always preferred Davros as the Doctor's main antagonist rather than the Master. Maybe it is because I've watched Genesis so the Daleks. The confirmations between these two are always interesting and I have no doubt that Davros is far from gone after the second episode. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

This episode was okay and I do agree that the last 15 minutes are amazing. Honestly I've always preferred Davros as the Doctor's main antagonist rather than the Master. Maybe it is because I've watched Genesis so the Daleks. The confirmations between these two are always interesting and I have no doubt that Davros is far from gone after the second episode. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moffat has succesfully killed Dr Who, I dont even care about it at all anymore.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

IMO this episode was really good. The only bad part was the Doctors electric guitar solo and the word "Dude". Missy and Clara probably somehow escaped using the time travel devises that they used to find The Doctor at the start of the episode.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator
@currentthor2015 said:

This. I'm not even going to bother with it again until Moffat has gone.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@currentthor2015 said:

Davis was way worse from a narrative perspective, but sure, okay.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:
@currentthor2015 said:

In my opinion, Moffat uses unnecessarily convoluted stories which end with contrived conclusions and often tapers potentially potent emotional climaxes with his lazy use of time-travel.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:
@rogueshadow said:
@currentthor2015 said:

In my opinion, Moffat uses unnecessarily convoluted stories which end with contrived conclusions and often tapers potentially potent emotional climaxes with his lazy use of time-travel.

This. And relies on gimicky words and phrases to lure in fans, Tumblr and other social media sites were throwing around Dude like it was the 90's.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great episode, apart from the guitar and dude parts obviously

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

This was a good episode. But Steven Moffat has come to the point where he hates the fans because he refuses to explain anything that happens. Why is Davros back alive? Why is Missy back alive? Surely we can actually know why these things are happening

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO this episode was really good. The only bad part was the Doctors electric guitar solo and the word "Dude". Missy and Clara probably somehow escaped using the time travel devises that they used to find The Doctor at the start of the episode.

Same here, I liked it. The whole "medieval dinner-theatre" section was a bit of a cringe fest only there for the (very) brief chuckle at the tank riding.

The start of the episode was great with the reveal of the kids name, its just good to have Who back.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@rogueshadow said:
@theacidskull said:
@rogueshadow said:
@currentthor2015 said:

This. And relies on gimicky words and phrases to lure in fans, Tumblr and other social media sites were throwing around Dude like it was the 90's.

And Davis didn't? Half the things people give Moffat shit for is what Davis had been doing for 4 damn seasons. At least Moffat makes the Doctor may more badass/grey and develops characters. You guys need to accept that no matter what writer comes along, there will always be inconsistencies in Doctor Who because that is the nature of the show. Davis did the same exact thing way before moffat came to the scene.

Doctor Who is wibbily-wobbily fun about a guy who travels in time. If you over analyse it, chances are you'll find loop holes in everywhere unless it is as straightforward as the "monster of the week" type episodes.

joaoanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode is almost 100% bullshit. A few years ago I didn't really cared for flaws like the one stated above (like how useless Unit is, or how stupid is the fact that only Clara can find the Doctor). But I'm tired of how Moffat just shits over everything Davies made in his run.(And I'm not even a hater, I actually love his time with 11th). But he basically retconed the Time War, Dravos and Master's death, three of the coolest things from the first 4 seasons.

Ok, Missy is really cool, I love the character. But I'm really tired of them doing the same thing over and over again. Same thing with Dravos, really cool the idea of the Doctor meeting him as a child, but why bring him back for that? He had a perfect ending. AndIt's not like everything has to be chronological when the main character can.... well, you know... TIME TRAVEL.

And I'm not even going to talk about those "catchphrases" and objects that started as a cool thing but now is just...

I'm so sorry Capaldi, but they are ruining your run.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe so many people disliked the tank riding, guitar playing scene. That was pure Doctor Who right there! Ever since he was Tennant, at least, he has always tried to be cool. And the guitar isn't that much of a stretch to do with Capaldi's time as a musician. I always appreciate when they throw in a bit of the actor, like how Matt Smith had the episode where he played soccer.

My only criticism is it felt like Missy brought nothing to the table. I really hope Moffatt doesn't overuse her like he did with River. Also, I'm not really worried about the Moffat complaints cause I saw all the same complaints about Davies when he was running the show. Just can't please nerds haha

Avatar image for robertelsmore77
RobertElsmore77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RobertElsmore77

All IMO so take it with a grain of salt...dude.

There's so much arguing back and forth about how Moffat or Davies suck and frankly I think they both do...but only after they ran out of steam. Moffat ran out of steam after 1 season, he's obviously better as a one story writer than a seasons head writer and Davies ran out of steam after three seasons. A show like Doctor Who is so demanding creatively that a head writer really shouldn't stick around more than 2 seasons if they want the show to remain fresh and interesting. This is where the season long narrative starts to fall down, its a great device, if used sparingly. Using it all the time backs the writers into a corner where the stakes just get bigger and bigger and bigger and that's what has happened with Doctor Who, hell Moffat even devoted one season to trying to deflate his own fanwank...

I miss the old days where Doctor Who was about a wanderer and his companions landing on a strange planet (or England) and having to solve some (usually relatively local) crisis, not gallivanting around multiple points of the universe and saving the entire universe every few episodes...yawn.

I'd be surprised if anyone who loved X-Files thought the overall alien abduction storyline was better than the unique "monster of the week" episodes. All my favourites were the one offs, such as the cannibal family, rubber man killer, OCD vampires, Jersey Devil etc. Old Who used season long stories sparingly and they frequently weren't the best examples of the show (Trial of a Timelord anyone?).

As to the tank riding, fine entrance followed by, as someone else mentioned, cringeworthy minutes of filler. Also the Doctor leaving a modern battle tank in the dark ages is a level of irresponsibility on a par with the Mad Monk...utter crap.

I'll keep giving the show a peek, but as someone else also said, I'm awaiting the departure of Moffat with impatience.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By NightFang3

I thought this episode was a really good opener.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Nobody said Davis was perfect, he isnt but he's a hell of a lot better than Moffat is, by far.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rogueshadow  Moderator

@titanbreaker said:
@rogueshadow said:
@theacidskull said:
@rogueshadow said:
@currentthor2015 said:

And Davis didn't? Half the things people give Moffat shit for is what Davis had been doing for 4 damn seasons. At least Moffat makes the Doctor may more badass/grey and develops characters. You guys need to accept that no matter what writer comes along, there will always be inconsistencies in Doctor Who because that is the nature of the show. Davis did the same exact thing way before moffat came to the scene.

Doctor Who is wibbily-wobbily fun about a guy who travels in time. If you over analyse it, chances are you'll find loop holes in everywhere unless it is as straightforward as the "monster of the week" type episodes.

Moffat's Doctor is nowhere near as grey as Tennant's in my opinion, where you felt the real fury and pain of the last Time-lord. I also don't think Moffat's characters are nearly as well developed, they are all incredibly awesome or incredibly awkward 'nerds', especially his women, Moffat can't write women, once you've seen two or three you've seen them all.

His characters don't have the idiosyncratic quirks of people like Rose, Martha, Micey, Donna, Captain Jack etc in my opinion, who felt like they could be actual people.

I didn't even mention the inconsistencies... I said his stories were lazy and had poorly constructed third acts, where he usually rectifies all of his mistakes in the preceding plot with time-travel. While time-travel is a good device to use in moderation, Moffat uses it as masking tape for his sloppy mistakes.

Moffat's episodes during Davies' era were some of the best ever, he's just fallen apart as a show-runner. I alro dislike the general sillies/juvenile tone (yes, it's about a guy who flies around space in a police box, I know, but it feels like there is just no weight to anything anymore, no pathos, everything feels inconsequential, I just don't care about 90% of the characters on screen).

I know many like him, but I think he's been awful, there are only about 10 episodes of Smith's era that I like, and about 8 that I really enjoyed.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The part with the planes and UNIT felt forced and unnessecary but the rest of the episode was pretty cool