Is Dick's problem that he is a product from a bygone era?

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is the problem with Dick is that he is a product from a bygone era?

He was Robin in 40's 50's 60's 70's What was that like IDK i am not 80

Nightwing in the 80's 90's 00's Robin leaves Batman, seems important... but IDK i am not 60

How we supposed to know this guy if his Robin adventures were 70 to 30 years ago... which i think have all been retconed with the new 52.

After Convergence I would like to see a Batman & Robin: Legacy comic where dick is 10 yrs old as Robin not 16. Thoughts? All our welcome considering I know very little about Dick.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

No. Dick, IMHO is one of the most timeless characters

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Partly I agree but he is still good and has had his own great stories.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By youknowwhattodo

Well if you want to know more about Dick Grayson, you could read his stories, which by the way have consistently outsold other 'A-List' titles such as the Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. When you combine that with the fact that besides Batman, Dick has the most exposure in DC animation over the past decade, he's still a big deal. Is he as big of a figure as he was in the Silver Age, no, but there are very few characters in DC that I believe are bigger than Dick Grayson.

If there is anything that is holding Dick Grayson back is that while he is an 'A-List' character, he is one of the few iconic heroes that is also a legacy character. In order for legacy characters to reach their full potential, one of two things need to happen

1) They have to take over the mantle of their mentor, in this case Dick Grayson becoming Batman and succeeding Bruce Wayne, inheriting the Bat-universe.

or

2) While adopting their own alter-ego, having a unique/interesting supporting cast and universe that is built over the span of decades, and have that universe frequently intermix with other 'A-List' characters of the DCU.

Despite the efforts of some talented writers (and Devin Grayson), Dick never got the supporting cast and universe that he needed to realize his full potential, mostly because it's almost impossible to do. While the first scenario did happen, it was only for a short time as the new 52 happened and he was back to being Nightwing.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@cuddlebear: It's a weird thing they invented. You could... buy the comics? And read them? Don't have to be an '80 year old person' to know his Robin adventures.

And he has to be 16 in the new 52 for the timeline to make sense. If he starts at 10, they have to edit practically everyone else's time-line long with it. But I would like some story that is like Ultimate Spider-Man inspired and we just see Dick Grayson during his robin years all the way to his return to the nightwing mantle.

So far I haven't seen a 'problem of being made 75 years ago'. Most of your points are just saying I am a new reader and have not yet read his adventures.

Vitacura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of my favorite Dick as Robin stories are not from the 40's 50's 60's 70's.

Dark Victory is great, Robin year one is wonderful.....Dick as Robin in TAS, in Joung Justice, in the original Teen Titans go!

Even the new 52 has some good portatials of Dick s Robin, like Batman and Robin Annual #2.

Nevermind that Batman, superman and Wonerd woman a product from a same era, the difference being Dick has been allowed to grow.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is his problem? I don't get why people want him to regress back into robin.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was Robin in 40's 50's 60's 70's What was that like IDK i am not 80

And in the seventies and early 80s he was allready in collage, so most storys with a young Dick Grayson are from the golden and silver age.

I would realy like to read some new robin storys for the pre 52 incarnations of Dick and Jason (Jason has only very few and most of them suffer inconsistent writing), and even in the new 52 it would be nice to read a little bit more about Dicks, Jasons and Tims time as Robin (Tim has tons of stories pre 52 but in the new 52 he has a complete different background).

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I think the character is great to be honest. One of the most adaptive characters of the DCU.

Unfortunately the New 52 wasn't kind to him. They took away his influence on the DCU, his Batman persona which I think was the logical step to take and Morrison's build up was great.
The return to Nightwing was a bad move to be honest. That persona has nothing left to give to Dick(come at me, but deep down you know its true) and it returned him into a sidekick/tie-in for the Batman titles and as a result the Nightwing title couldn't find stable footing.

I think the change to Grayson was the best move DC has taken since Dick becoming Batman.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, Dick Grayson, as has been previously mentioned, is timeless. As are most heroes who sprung up in that age in my honest opinion. However, I do partly agree with the thought that you can't necessarily know the character if all of his adventures as Robin, the title which he's still more famous for than any of his successors, took place decades ago, and what's more haven't necessarily been collected properly. I've been thinking a lot recently that after all the reboots and Crisis, Dick really would benefit for a new, solo-flashback series that revamped or created new adventures for him during his Robin days. Doesn't necessarily have to be done obviously, but I definitely think it would be nice.

The character's also helped of course by the fact that he's appeared in numerous animated adaptations that have gone into his origin, and evne exclusively featured him as Robin. I think many simply take those adventures/episodes and add them to their own canon.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The character's also helped of course by the fact that he's appeared in numerous animated adaptations that have gone into his origin, and evne exclusively featured him as Robin. I think many simply take those adventures/episodes and add them to their own canon.

He had in the last 20 or 30 years probably more appearances as Robin in animated series as in comics. And many of this comic appearances were just different versions of the stories how he became Robin (this is probably one of the most retold Batman stories of all time, there were afiak 6 different versions for the pre 52 continuity and 2 in the new 52) or Nightwing.