Posted by dicksihavestudied (35 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Dick Grayson Fans: Male or Female? (42 votes)

Female 21%
Male 69%
Gender-Queer 10%

I found this quote in the trade "The Judas Contract," and it got me thinking.

“Dick [Grayson] has an incredibly vocal fan following, particularly among females.”

-George Perez, 1988, on why Dick needed a new vigilante identity ASAP after he stopped being Robin

So I wonder (and maybe you do, too) just how many female fans Dick has. Are a majority of his fans female? Is it 50/50? Are a substantial minority of his fans female? Or is Perez's observation no longer true?

*People tell me that Comic Vine skews male, so I am asking around other places. Of course, I want to know how many male fans Dick has in order to compare.

Thanks! I appreciate your votes and any insight into Perez's quote.

#1 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

Men and women can appreciate a nice @ss when they see it :p

#2 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Men and women can appreciate a nice ass when they see it

#3 Posted by Kirateufel (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Yaoi.

#4 Edited by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

Glute envy

#5 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1563 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i'm sure he has plenty of female fans, but i'm a male myself. Been a fan of his since I watched BTAS in the good ole' 90s.

#6 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

We had some very dedicated young female Nightwing fans in my shop.

#7 Posted by The Stegman (23192 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a guy, and I'll say it proudly, I love Dick.

#8 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha there's always a good (Dick) joke to be had when talking about Mr Grayson

#9 Edited by BatWatch (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a guy, and I'll say it proudly, I love Dick.

If they were going to retcon something about Nightwing, I would have preferred they change his name to changing his relationship with Bruce. It's just ripe for those sorts of comments. (grins)

As far as Grayson having a passionate following, I don't have any new thoughts that I haven't already discussed with you. (Dicks)

#10 Posted by dicksihavestudied (35 posts) - - Show Bio

@batwatch I would have been so sad if DC had changed Dick's name. So sad.

It super sucks they changed his relationship with Bruce in #0, but the two still seem to have a special relationship based on the other comics.

Yes, B:TAS. Best cartoon ever.

#11 Edited by nappystr8 (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not CV that skews male, it's the comic readership. And many female readers lean towards indie and Vertigo books and manga more so than Marvel or DC. Now of course plenty of women out there love and are vocal about mainstream comics, but if we are going purely on percentage, then almost any character's fanbase is going to be more male than female.

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17355 posts) - - Show Bio

considering Dicks Glorious manly arse ( Ok, the statement is just a mess ) , most of his fans would be female.

#13 Posted by BatWatch (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

@batwatch I would have been so sad if DC had changed Dick's name. So sad.

It super sucks they changed his relationship with Bruce in #0, but the two still seem to have a special relationship based on the other comics.

Yes, B:TAS. Best cartoon ever.

Yeah, well you are obsessed with Dicks. (grins) Actually, I would have been annoyed with DC if they had changed Dicks name, but the change of Grayson's relationship with Bruce is just incredibly annoying.

#14 Posted by John Valentine (16306 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm female.

#15 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (6160 posts) - - Show Bio

MALE? pfttt

Ladies love Dick. 99% female YJ fans loves Grayson.

#16 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (6160 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11146 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a male and Dick is probably my favorite comic book character, next to Spidey. So, I vote male!