Descender #7

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

DESCENDER is back! After a tiny break between story arcs, we now have the next installment. Picking up where the first arc ended, we find out more about the fates of Dr. Quon and Tim-21. It should be noted that Tim-21 and the others got a bit of a shock at the end of issue #6. We see a little more of the new character that just showed up along with what he's capable of. He's not the only new character as the issue opens with a look at another robot-killing bounty hunter. You can imagine he's likely to cause some problems later.

Even though the story is mainly focusing on Tim-21, Quon, and Telsa, you still get a sense of the bigger universe, especially with the presence of the robot resistance group. This is what we want to see in a sci-fi story. Jeff Lemire is giving us a great mix of action, suspense, and character development. I'm still reeling over the revelation Dr. Quon gave us last issue and you can't help but adore Tim-21.

Along with the great story and characters, we also have Dustin Nguyen's art. His character designs are always fascinating and varied. His use of water colors really gives the book a different feel from what we've seen time and time again, especially in sci-fi comics. I'm always fascinated with how aliens and robots look in sci-fi material. Often that's what can make or break the story. Nguyen's designs along with the colors makes it work. I've complained many times about the colors in sci-fi comics often giving the art too artificial of a feeling. That's definitely not the case here.

The first arc may be over but clearly the story is just beginning in DESCENDER. If you're looking for a cool sci-fi comic with a different look and feel to it, you need to be reading this book. Jeff Lemire is building a big "universe" and Dustin Nguyen's art and colors keeps getting better and better. Just when you thought you had an idea where the story would be going, we get a pretty interesting twist at the end. I love it when I'm reading a book and have no idea what might be coming next. Each issue keeps you on the edge of your seat and I'll definitely be back for the next one.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Hmmm, I picked up and read the first trade recently, deciding whether I should continue trade reading, or just pick it up issue by issue now that I'm caught up

mikeg1965

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Cool, welcome back Tim!

Paste_Pot_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great to see this series still going

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

great series

kendigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this beautiful book!

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want the whole story now!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wonder how Mr. Tullis is going to get off Gnish.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jeff lemire doing his thing again... guy is simply the best.

i fully recommend this book, perfect writing and some fantastic/unique art by Nguyen

Avatar image for ultimate_knight
Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even the Descender cover is giving honor to the victims from the Paris Attack. May they rest in peace...