gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

It’s always a good thing when we get a brand new series introducing us to new characters and worlds. It’s even better when it has great writing and art. DESCENDER is the new creator-owned series by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen. These two veteran creators took the plunge and the risk in trying to do their own thing. That risk paid off in big ways.

One of the things I enjoyed was as we are introduced to this new world and its people, a strange arrival occurs. What follows is an event that has catastrophic results. That’s when the story jumps ten years later. I’m always fascinated when something like this occurs as you can’t help but wonder what happened during the missing time period. We do get a general idea along with the consequences of what happened. This is where we meet one of the main characters, Tim-21, a young companion robot who has just awoken after the ten year period. It's safe to say you'll immediately fall for Tim-21 and the plight he gets pulled into.

As far as the art, I've been a fan of Dustin Nguyen for some time. It's a great feeling when an artist, who's style you know so well, manages to surprise you in a positive way. Dustin's art blew me away. A long running gripe I've had is the colors in sci-fi comics. They often make the vehicles and environments look too artificial. Dustin's use of watercolors gives it a softer feel that also allows a more organic look to the characters. You really feel immersed in the different environments with the way the vibe of each scene changes.

And of course there was that bit of news about Sony acquiring the film rights to this series. You'll want to read it now so you can brag to all your friends.

The Bad

This was a fantastic first issue and introduction to a brand new world and concepts. Nothing to complain about.

The Verdict

Get ready to read your new favorite comic. It's a great feeling getting your hands on a fantastic new series. We've seen many takes on all the different genres but Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen's take in the sci-fi arena is a glorious and gorgeous trip. Right from the beginning you get a sense of how large in scope this series and its world can be. We are introduced to some likable characters that make us eager for more. It's always difficult to add a brand new series to your (likely) overflowing pull list. Adding DESCENDER to your pull list will be something you won't regret.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Just finished this. I liked it. Its gonna be added to my pull.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm hooked. Anxious to see all the different planets Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen have come up with.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Adding this to my wish list!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I am so f**king glad I picked this up.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Straight-Fire

@xwraith: What a rare post from you, X. :p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dboyrules2011: Just wanted to show I loved it that much. :3

(Also, that emoticon actually shows up in this book)

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Hehe I was just messing with you. :p

Oh, really? Emoticons are getting popular. =)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dboyrules2011: It was used by a robot that doesn't actually speak English. It was on his display screen.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

It seemed like every copy in Montreal was sold out by noon. The hype is strong with this one

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an awesome first issue! Looking forward to see what happens next.

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

Really want to check this out, but will have to wait for the trade. Luckily Image puts out trades quickly.

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I've been excited to read this for months now. Can't wait to finally check it out.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue and the entire story concept. This has huge potential to be really special.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seemed like every copy in Montreal was sold out by noon. The hype is strong with this one

Unfortunatly that is because of speculators.

Don't get me worng this has been a hyped up comic for a while now since it was first introduced back at image expo
but as soon as speculators hear it was already optioned for a movie now speculators are running wild with it. I already saw a guy in my comic shop buy a dozen of them and bought all the variants. and the second store in which my LCS is associated with sold out fast along with Ellis's black cross. within an hour of store's opening.

im just glad i got my copy, i have no intention of selling it

this book kinda reminds me of Spilberg's A.i movie.
ive been wanting another version of that for a long time!

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow...that's all I can say, this both amazed me an disappointed me lol

i know that seems like an oxymoron but here is why

I was disappointed because I thought this series would deal with a lost android boy who ventures into the great beyond dealing with racism from other humans and such pretty much a series inspired by "A.I(2001)" and while this series seems like it ISNT going to be that, it STILL exceed my expectations of being a great issue and great start to something that is oging to be as epic if not MORE epic than SAGA is.

now i can see why Sony picked up the option to make a movie on this series just looking at issue one, they have already introduced different species a cool concept, a great theme as well as introduced various worlds with it's own history

this looks like the start to the next big thing.

Man Image is just KILLING it these last 2-3 years

SAGA

Lazarus

East of West

Birthright

Wytches

Satellite Sam

heck even Spawn is getting a reboot with Al Simmons back

and Now Descender!

Too bad image doesn't sell as well as the big 2 though .

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That’s when the story jumps ten years later. I’m always fascinated when something like this occurs as you can’t help but wonder what happened during the missing time period.

These giant robots meta-morphed into giant space maids (like in Spaceballs) and sucked billions of people off their planets. At least that's what I thought was going to happen next just before the story jumped 10 years into the future. Well, my very first thought was what's GIN_GR doing here?

Lemire is a genius!

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Got some serious Mass Effect vibes from a lot of the concepts, and the worldbuilding in just 1 issue is unmatched.

Nguyen's watercolor art is similarly without equal, and the only one that might come close to it is Lemire himself. It really is incredible how well the heart and tone of his writing style lends itself to watercolor art (whether it be provided by himself, or a collaborator like Nguyen).

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was a good read. Some of the fonts were rather small and annoying to read, but seems like a good story. Let's hope Hollywood doesn't mess it up.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's good just not 5 star good

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the issue this morning.

I liked it. The world-building was fantastic, the art was great but everything else wasn't anything special IMO.

DocGroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great first issue. I loved Dustin's work on Streets of Gotham and Lil' Gotham and the artwork again is beautiful. Definitely adding Descender to my pull list.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lemire. This guy is on FIRE.

I fell in love with this book just a couple of pages in. I can see why Sony was all over this. The concept, the premise, the environment and the characters (so far) are complex, mysterious and endearing.

I am so in.