#1 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#4 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Make sure the ...(comics) is included in the Wiki one.

#5 Posted by Spectrum (4468 posts) - - Show Bio

how do you guys get the information for getting subs, i useually look the character up adn then re write the information on the pge

#6 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#7 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#9 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

oops

Post Edited:2007-07-20 13:17:07

#10 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

yup

#11 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

Spectrum says:

"how do you guys get the information for getting subs, i useually look the character up adn then re write the information on the pge"

Um... I actually write it out myself. I make lots and lots of written notes, turn it into a mind-map then write it out as I want it. I'll admit now that I'm not the fastest at getting stuff typed, that's why I haven't got many subs to my name

#13 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Spectrum says:

"how do you guys get the information for getting subs, i useually look the character up adn then re write the information on the pge"

It's very simple, you don't CUT AND PASTE it directly from the page...

#14 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

I work on mine look into it, find out stuff , thats why it is taking me so long to do the Hellsing subs.

#16 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

plagiarism or not those pages are really hard to read. not that i'm the best writer or anything but paragraphs are your friend.

#17 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

I take what I know about a character from the comics I've read and if it isnt already on the page I write it out, and or add a boat load of pics.

#18 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

i use a ton of different sources (comics, sites, magazines) to get information & then write it in a word processing program then bring over to the vine.

#19 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll occasionally read wiki or some other similar site to see if I'm missing something, but mostly I'll read the comic itself for inspiration.

#20 Posted by G-Man (37631 posts) - - Show Bio

Lady Tlieso says:

"plagiarism or not those pages are really hard to read. not that i'm the best writer or anything but paragraphs are your friend. "

AMEN!

Reading subs like that, especially when there's a couple hundred waiting to be checked can be a nightmare. I believe those pages were older ones. Points have been adjusted. I haven't deleted any info yet. Perhaps someone would like to re-write them rather than just have a blank page?

And about the "boat load of pics" I know it was probably a joke, but keep in mind, people view pages on different screen sizes. Too many pics don't make a good page. We've recently had to trim some down and also, don't include pictures of other characters just because they're friends. Ex. if you have a page on Professor X, you don't need to include a picture off Nightcrawler. Please use pictures that include the character and are worthy to be on the main page.

Staff
#21 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Lady Tlieso says:
"plagiarism or not those pages are really hard to read. not that i'm the best writer or anything but paragraphs are your friend. "
AMEN! Reading subs like that, especially when there's a couple hundred waiting to be checked can be a nightmare. I believe those pages were older ones. Points have been adjusted. I haven't deleted any info yet. Perhaps someone would like to re-write them rather than just have a blank page? And about the "boat load of pics" I know it was probably a joke, but keep in mind, people view pages on different screen sizes. Too many pics don't make a good page. We've recently had to trim some down and also, don't include pictures of other characters just because they're friends. Ex. if you have a page on Professor X, you don't need to include a picture off Nightcrawler. Please use pictures that include the character and are worthy to be on the main page."

I meant in the gallery not on the actually page. I still dont know how to do that.

#22 Posted by G-Man (37631 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"G-Man says:
"Lady Tlieso says:
AMEN! Reading subs like that, especially when there's a couple hundred waiting to be checked can be a nightmare. I believe those pages were older ones. Points have been adjusted. I haven't deleted any info yet. Perhaps someone would like to re-write them rather than just have a blank page? And about the "boat load of pics" I know it was probably a joke, but keep in mind, people view pages on different screen sizes. Too many pics don't make a good page. We've recently had to trim some down and also, don't include pictures of other characters just because they're friends. Ex. if you have a page on Professor X, you don't need to include a picture off Nightcrawler. Please use pictures that include the character and are worthy to be on the main page."

I meant in the gallery not on the actually page. I still dont know how to do that."

Gotcha. I've used wiki or marvel.com in the past to double check team affiliations and powers. The best thing to do is not heavily read stuff from other sites but to try to write what you know or from comics that you have. It's too easy and tempting to take what others have already written.

Staff
#23 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

has anyone messaged this guy? does he know what he's doing is wrong?

#26 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a question, what happens if he wrote the wiki articles?

#27 Posted by G-Man (37631 posts) - - Show Bio

He's been spoken to a while ago. Points have been removed. These were older pages. It's been dealt with by us so there's no need for a witch hunt. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Staff
#28 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool, thanks G-Man!

#29 Posted by G-Man (37631 posts) - - Show Bio

Walkingstone says:

"Here's a question, what happens if he wrote the wiki articles?"

Good question. I had that happen way back in the beginning. It was from another site but it had their name and e-mail so they could prove it. I felt bad for deleting it in the first place but that's how it goes. We'd like our site to be different from others if possible. Who wants to go on the internet and see all the same content?

Staff
#30 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Walkingstone says:
"Here's a question, what happens if he wrote the wiki articles?"

Good question. I had that happen way back in the beginning. It was from another site but it had their name and e-mail so they could prove it. I felt bad for deleting it in the first place but that's how it goes. We'd like our site to be different from others if possible. Who wants to go on the internet and see all the same content?"

That's true and a good point, I was just wondering because he has mentioned before that he's worked on wiki stuff

#31 Posted by G-Man (37631 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people should point that out in the sub and be ready and able to prove it (maybe not so easily done). I do know he no longer is active on wiki.

Staff
#32 Posted by -000 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

But usually articles on wikipedia are written by more than one person.

#33 Posted by G-Man (37631 posts) - - Show Bio

Just like most pages here. Some are by many contributors, and some may be mostly by one.

Staff
#34 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Spectrum says:

Personally I try to get all the information I can from actual comics I own. For my subs i generally either draw straight from memory or from the books themselves. Occasionally I look at a Wiki, but that generally only if there is a term, phrase, place, spelling, or anything else like that that I want to get correct. Personally I try to avoid using other sites to influence what I write. Putting things in your own voice can often be difficult when your sources are all in someone else's voice.

#35 Posted by G-Man (37631 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. Even subconsciously, you'll remember what was written. I'm all for something in your own words rather than something copied or imitated from another place.

Staff
#36 Posted by Eternus (692 posts) - - Show Bio

to get my information i find as many sites and webpages that have information on that character and jumble it all together in an orderly fashion. then of course i change the words and so on, this way its what i wrote/typed but its still the same facts. if thats considered plagirism i dont know what isnt