Posted by k4tzm4n (34907 posts) 5 months, 11 days ago

Poll: Comic Book Question of the Week VOTING: What the New Deathstroke Ongoing Needs (210 votes)

Amazing action 12%
A compelling plot 43%
More interaction with other DC heroes and villains 17%
A focus on Slade's relationship with his family 8%
A solid insight into Slade Wilson 18%

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

Our latest Character of the Month, Slade Wilson, a.k.a. Deathstroke, will have an all-new ongoing series this October. The recent announcement revealed that Tony S. Daniel will write and illustrate Slade's upcoming adventures. A promotional image by Daniel (see below for greatness) more than proves he's going to make sure the book looks terrific, but many of us are left speculating about what direction the stories will take and how it'll all be handled. Only time will tell, of course, but we're curious to see which elements you think are important for a Deathstroke story to thrive.

What makes a Slade Wilson story successful? What can it bring to the table that'll keep you engaged and anxious to pick up the next issue? We've added 5 options to the poll: amazing action, a compelling plot, more involvement with other DC heroes and villains, a focus on Slade's relationship with his family, and a solid insight into Slade. So, which will it be, Viners?

There's no need to jump to a conclusion just yet. Slade's a tactical man and always give his scenarios a proper amount of thought, so we're making sure you have a good amount of time to think about this question, too. The poll will stay open until Thursday morning (ET), so that should give you enough time to think about what you believe a Deathstroke story really needs to become memorable. And don't just vote and then fade away. After you pick an option on the poll, share you expanded thoughts with us in the comments. Make the post entertaining enough and there's a chance we'll highlight it in Thursday's updated article. If you want to be considered, please try to limit your post to a few paragraphs at most. Now, make Slade proud and really think this one through!

Want to continue celebrating Deathstroke? He's currently fighting Deadpool (click here to vote!). Two TV shows he's appeared in -- Arrow and Young Justice -- are featured in the latest edition of Favorite TV Shows (click here to vote!). We've also posted his best covers and we'll share his must read stories this Friday.

Check the homepage Thursday for the question results and more. We'll attempt to focus another Question of the Week or two on Slade Wilson, so if you have an idea for a good one, feel free to share it below or via Twitter.

#1 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

Insight into the character. Character>Plot.

Stories with great characterization tend to be the most compelling.

#2 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (2398 posts) - - Show Bio

If there was an "Other: " option, I would have said " a better writer" cause Tony Daniel is a good artist, a terrible writer

#3 Edited by dagmar_merrill (10248 posts) - - Show Bio

Compelling plot

#4 Posted by The Stegman (25983 posts) - - Show Bio

All of the above.

#5 Posted by Saren (25068 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like for it to follow up on the Midnighter plotline Higgins teased during his run, but I think they probably dropped that.

#6 Posted by SupBatz (1848 posts) - - Show Bio

A solid insight into Slade Wilson. Deathstroke is one of those characters who I feel is written differently all of the time. We need a solid and consistent interpretation of the character.

#7 Edited by viin (690 posts) - - Show Bio

he needs a good origin story on how he lost his eye and gains his enhanced abilities...there are so many different stories.

#8 Posted by TommytheHitman (3442 posts) - - Show Bio

A bigger connection to the DC Universe is what will help keep the book selling. Don't believe me? Other series such as I, Vampire and Stormwatch were cancelled for the same reasons.

#9 Edited by judasnixon (7180 posts) - - Show Bio

@viin said:

he needs a good origin story on how he lost his eye and gains his enhanced abilities...there are so many different stories.

I kind of like how they never explained how he lost his eye. I think they showed just leave it a mystery......

#10 Posted by ClawFist (355 posts) - - Show Bio

I chose a compelling plot, but that's really more of an expansion of what I think he needs which is a major rivalry with a compelling plot. Check out his unused Deathstroke 18 cover with him facing off against Warblade.

#11 Posted by MasterMercenary (80 posts) - - Show Bio

All of the above.

this.. but if you insist, lets comment on every option

1. amazing action: that's what every comic book need, so I want choose it because it's an obligation for all comic books

2. a compelling plot: Without a plot, you don't have a story.. but being compelling or not is what the quality of the story depends on... so it is necessary.

3. More interaction with other DC heroes and villains: This is the hardest stage IMHO, it's always been easy with most of the villain-because they are restricted to one hero, but it is been hard with all the heroes since they have a variety of enemies and allies. Deathstroke on the other hand, is not restricted to an enemy like most of the villains which required to interact a great bunch of heroes and villains to make alliances and enmities.

4. A focus on Slade's relationship with his family: see (5)

5. A solid insight into Slade Wilson: you mean his origins right?!!! if so thats my number one priority since there is no existence without an origin that tells about his early life and Slade's relationship with his family without missing his butler William Randolph Wintergreen.

If there was an "Other: " option, I would have said " a better writer" cause Tony Daniel is a good artist, a terrible writer

I think he has became a better writer

#12 Posted by leokearon (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

Stuff with his family, it was always drove him in previous realities. Hey. if it wasn't for his family we would never have Deathstroke or Jericho or Rose Wilson.

#13 Posted by judasnixon (7180 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs a better beard. Deathstroke should lose the 90's goatee and grow a proper full beard....

#14 Posted by AmazingWebHead (4319 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, these are all important ingredients, but a soup without liquid is still a bad soup, no matter what it's seasoned with. (I know, I know, that was a bad metaphor) So, I'd go with plot.

#15 Posted by reaverlation (17061 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything

#16 Posted by _Atomikill_ (4340 posts) - - Show Bio

Interaction!

#17 Posted by Bluefox170 (387 posts) - - Show Bio

@viin said:

I kind of like how they never explained how he lost his eye. I think they showed just leave it a mystery......

They have actually. Pre-52 his wife shot him in the eye. New 52 his eye was shot by a nameless Korean soldier. Thanks Liefeld.

#18 Edited by Bluefox170 (387 posts) - - Show Bio

All of these are great options though I think the most important ingredient that we'll need at this point is a compelling plot. We already know Tony Daniels is going to deliver on the eye candy and now we just need a story that will keep us on the edge of our seats. Deathstroke needs obstacles to overcome all while showcasing his tactical prowess. We need to see Slade thinking ahead of his enemies and surprising the audience with the tricks up his sleeves.

Aside from that he needs a compelling antagonist. The closest we came to Deathstroke having a recurring enemy in the previous run was the mercenary "Legacy" who continued to resurface due to particular reasons I won't spoil. Pin Slade up against someone people will remember, someone that will make Slade a better mercenary for the experience of shedding their blood.

Have him interact with more heroes and villains. The possibilities are endless when you have such a gray character like Slade.

Give him a fair sized interesting supporting cast. It can be like Green Arrow's 2 or 3 people behind the scenes. I think that was one of the main things the previous run suffered from. Deathstroke was always on his own and occasionally interacted with Peabody who dropped off the face of the earth entirely once Liefeld and Jordan stepped up to the plate. We need Slade to bounce off of someone and not clutter the pages with thought boxes.

Lastly, we need to get away from entire arcs finishing with "It was Slade's kid A,B, or C the whole time! You know, because they hate him!"

#19 Posted by Jayc1324 (13397 posts) - - Show Bio

All of those and more. I'd certainly be disappointed if it only had one of those lol

I'm an extremely excited to go buy this book every month

#20 Posted by _ANDY_CAN (268 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be cool to see an interesting plot and cool fight scenes with other DC universe assassins like Brone tiger, Cheshire, Red hood, vigilante, black spider, deadshot, Black manta, Nightshade, Cassandra Cain, Richard dragon, Grifter, Midnighter, David Cain, Ravager, Jericho, Lobo or Faux- bo, Deathblow, Lady Shiva, Prometheus and Hawkman. Also a Versus story arc would be awesome.

#21 Posted by RenaissanceMan (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

Really good feats of strength and speed. So he can get back the respect he seems to have lost on the Vine.

#22 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6456 posts) - - Show Bio

Why isn't there an all of the above? Well since I become a fanboy when my favorite characters meet each other, I'll choose interaction between more villain and heroes. Slade is a bad ass cause he can be a villain to anyone. I want to see him challenge villains and heroes around the DC universe...and kick Batman's ass.

#23 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8004 posts) - - Show Bio

ALL OF THOSE, especially a compelling plot. That's what makes a good book in the first place.

#24 Posted by k4tzm4n (34907 posts) - - Show Bio

Why isn't there an all of the above?

Because that would be too easy and I'd much rather make people think about which element they REALLY want to shine in the new series.

#25 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8877 posts) - - Show Bio

To have a character driven story go well, you need a good character. All the best comics have it, because plots change and stories evolve since it is an ongoing. So we really need Slade written well and properly fleshed out and humanized. Plots should grow out of the character's motivations and decisions and he shouldn't feel like a puppet in his own story. Character is everything.

#26 Posted by Xwraith (21383 posts) - - Show Bio

Good writing is the most important thing any comic book needs.

#27 Edited by lifeofvibe (3514 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought the most intertaining thing about this deathstroke was that he had a family, I mean how many assassins do you know have a family? It would be really cool if they touched on that at one point or another

#28 Posted by Rainja (482 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: Agreed.

As a kind of recent reader to DC(Jumped on full time with New 52) Deathstroke interested me. Many times i have seen him in animation, or in comics and even referenced in battle threads .So i decided to delve into the new 52 version of the character by collecting his entire New 52 series. The action was great but moat of the times the plot was lacking. If you wanna see deathstroke just kick ass its great but if u are looking for a masterpiece mindblowing story with a twist certainly not your book.

#29 Posted by Harryvine (38 posts) - - Show Bio

First post ever btw. Read almost everything in DC since the reboot.

Liefield (how is he still employed btw? Everything he touches turns to coal) tried to explore the Nth metal origins with both Deathstroke and Hawkman when N52 began. Has the Nth ever been fully explored? How'd he come across it? Then tie it in with Hawkman. They had a cool team-up and would also make an evenly matched fight.

Deathstroke is way past the point of overexposure. We all know he is awesome and kicks ass but we have absolutely no proof of this in print since he took down 5+ league members in Identity Crisis. Make him come across and whoop the ass of some people who will make us sit back and say, "Whoa...Deathstroke is still the shit!" For christ sakes, as much as I love the TV show Arrow, Slade Wilson should straight up retire losing to a B Lister like Green Arrow. Period. (Hawkman, Batman bc they are supposed to be equals, Any Lantern, Black Adam on a mission to Kahndaq!). Ninjas? Yawn. Family Ties? Yawn. I need DC to re-prove to me that Deathstroke is the Terminator first then you can evolve the rest of his family. I cannot care about his family until I am invested in him.

Slade Wilson is like pocket aces for a bad card player. You have the best hand in the game but we all know you're going to screw it up somehow.

#30 Posted by Harryvine (38 posts) - - Show Bio

If you don't believe me watch Son of Batman and cry your eyes out. Damian equal to Deathstroke? BULLOCKS

#31 Edited by The_Tree (7940 posts) - - Show Bio

Compelling plot. I want a thought out story arc, and not Slade vs. a generic enemy of the month. And I definitely want to see follow up on the teased Midnighter plot thread from Higgins' run.

#32 Posted by Wilbertus (358 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't compelling plot an open door, I mean shouldn't every comic series have one? I think it's more interesting what we want the plot to be about not whether we want it to be good (duhh) or not.

I would love to see a lot of interaction with heroes and villains from the established DC universe. But most of all I want to get inside Slade Wilson's head. Let's pry everything open and get a good insight into this character!

#33 Posted by Quickfingers26 (1091 posts) - - Show Bio

I think what Deathstroke really needs to have a successful run is to provide more insight into who he is, why he does what he does, does he have regrets, does he keep trophys, more on his history when he first got into the assassin gig. Maybe some first encounters with other heroes/villains, how he was trained. Honestly it couldn't hurt (for lack of imagination here) to have a Deathstroke year 1 type of thing.

Right now it kinda feels like they push the Clint Eastwood angle for Deathstroke. A man of few words but tons of butt kicking. Well that works for a two hour movie. But that character and his actions quickly become vapid with enough exposure. If he's not going to talk out loud, then readers need to see what he is thinking.

Deathstroke needs roots. Readers need to better understand what he cares about, so we can decide if this is a character we can relate or take prolonged interest in. Just my opinion.

#34 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob Liefeld >:)

#35 Posted by Wolverine08 (45541 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by kivatt (181 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: damn you, I was going to say that

#38 Posted by baneofdemon22 (522 posts) - - Show Bio

I want all the above, but a compelling plot always comes first, because the rest will follow. I think we've already got a solid insight into Slade, and if they're going for yet another interpretation, I'll carry my love and knowledge of the character into the story, until they ret-con it along the way. If it's a character I'm unfamiliar with, it allows me to put myself into him/her more, which can make the story more compelling, leaving more interpretation. As much as I love seeing Deathstroke interact with other DC characters, that shouldn't happen until further down the line. Slade can handle his own, and they need to prove that, so he can have an identity of his own.

#39 Posted by Jokerpoker (2976 posts) - - Show Bio

What most of the New 52 Deathstroke series lacked, a compelling plot.

#40 Posted by MonsterStomp (20325 posts) - - Show Bio

Deathstroke stomping Batman.

#41 Posted by TDK_1997 (15067 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

I'd like for it to follow up on the Midnighter plotline Higgins teased during his run, but I think they probably dropped that.

What was it? I don't quite remember.

#42 Edited by detective38 (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Insight into the character which should be accomplished by scrapping everything done with the character since the reboot and starting again with pre 52 continuity from army experimentation, saving wintergreen, his wife shooting his eye out and developing into the most badass mercenary ever

#43 Posted by Nerd Of A Hero (897 posts) - - Show Bio