gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

When an existing character gets a brand new comic, there’s likely still plenty of baggage from their previous history in the Marvel Universe. With this volume of DEATHLOK, that isn’t quite the case. Deathlok has been around since the 70s. There has also been different versions of the character. Rather than just have this be yet another brand new Deathlok, Nathan Edmondson adds a little twist. Henry Hayes, the Deathlok in question, isn’t aware he is a Deathlok.

Henry Hayes is part of Medics Without Borders. He spends his time rushing into dangerous war zones to help those that need to be saved. What he doesn’t realize is when traveling, he is called into service, unaware the programming is inside him. To clarify, Hayes does have a prosthetic leg and obviously other implants. You’ll see how he gains the rest of his gear when needed for missions.

Part of the mystery and suspense of the story is being in the same situation as Hayes. Who is sending him on the missions? We even see Maria Hill looking into a situation he was involved in. To add to Hayes’ situation, he is also a single father to a teenage daughter. That alone gives him plenty of problems to deal with.

Mike Perkins' art fits the story nicely. Hayes has his own look, even as a Deathlok. The locations appear varied enough to illustrate were in other parts of the world and the action scenes are well coordinated and have a great flow. Because Deathlok isn’t your typical superhero, his action scenes require a certain amount of finesse. Perkins gives it just that.

The Bad

Most of how Hayes operates as a Deathlok, unaware, is explained. It does seem like a bit of a stretch to accept he is able to go on Deathlok missions without realizing it. We’ll have to see more on how it all works and what happens if he tried to talk to anyone on the more humanitarian mission he was supposed to be on. We can’t have all the answers at once and it does give us something to look forward to. It’s just a matter of someone trying the comic out for the first time being patient enough to get some more answers.

It’s an interesting premise, having an almost regular person be the Deathlok. You can’t help but wonder how long this will go on until he finds out there’s more going on when he’s on his missions. You can feel where the series may be headed but hopefully there are still plenty of twists and surprises to come.

The Verdict

Deathlok is meant to be the perfect weapon. Imagine that weapon being completely unaware that it is an actual weapon. Nathan Edmondson has added a nice twist to the concept of Deathlok. Having a new character completely in the dark about being a killing machine adds an intriguing twist to the character. We’ll be on the edge of our seat as we wonder if he’ll find out what he’s really doing when away. What better way to maintain a secret identity than to be unaware you actually have one? Mike Perkins’ art looks great here. The characters have their own feel, carving out a new little corner of the Marvel Universe yet there is some familiarity with Maria Hill and S.H.I.E.L.D. being present. DEATHLOK is a series that will completely grab your attention and you’ll be happy when it doesn’t let go.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Boynerdgeek

Just read it. Not my cup of tea. I'm not saying it is bad comic, it is not something I expect from Deathlok series. The character and backstory never really "click" with me. Oh well I maybe minority on this. For those who really love the issue , I respect you guys :)

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

@g_man Great news.I can't wait to read it!!!!

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@boynerdgeek: Respect for disliking something without being an ass about it. :)

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Boynerdgeek
Silver Zeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow...we/SZ just finishd reading it & its a pretty gd 1st issue dat has us/SZ intrigued. We/SZ'll defin8ly b gettin' #2.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm liking how good the reviews have been

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I didn't know what to expect and I didn't intend to pick this up, but my comics guy practically stapled it to my forehead and I'm glad I did.

The idea of an unsuspecting weapon is super cool, and the story behind this character is one I can get behind. A single dad raising a smart mouthed and resentful teenage girl, with a clear moral set that dictates he help those in need. Being a doctor affiliated with "Medics Without Borders" (when not getting the job done, unbeknownst to him) is a great cover, plus, it reminds me of when Thor as Donald Blake did the same soon after his return from death.

I did want to make a point about the art? Initially, the first couple of pages had me a little worried but I was quickly immersed into it, particularly one really awesome splash page. It was fun to also remember what Maria Hill was referring too, after having read the brief story in Central Station in one of the Original Sins books. Another reason why I am glad my comics guy is so obnoxious in being sure what I'll like, haha, since I hated not having closure at the time with what was going on.

Great review.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

I didn't know what to expect and I didn't intend to pick this up, but my comics guy practically stapled it to my forehead and I'm glad I did.

That's a new type of sales gimmick there!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#9  Edited By Teerack

This was the most boring and bland comic to come out of the entire month. Literally nothing about this book made me want to keep reading it. Thankfully it wasn't very wordy and it didn't take very long to read.