k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Look, it's easy to write this weekly series off because it can be viewed as a gimmick, but writer Charles Soule and artist Steve McNiven are really making it work and they have my complete attention with this one. The first chapter included Reed Richards and Nuke, but despite including other characters, it still had a more isolated feel to it -- which is fitting since a chunk of it took place on an island -- and focused on making readers well aware of Wolverine's situation and what it means for his abilities. This chapter, however, places Logan on the offensive and gets things moving forward. We know Logan's in a terrible spot, so now it's time to find out why.

First and foremost, Steven McNiven, inker Jay Leisten, and colorist Justin Ponsor's pages are seriously admirable. Every location and all of its inhabitants are brought to life with so much depth and everything from the angles to the layouts give it more of a cinematic feeling. There's some really immersive bits in the club and the way the city is introduced does a fine job pulling you into the picture, but it's the action scenes that truly shine. The layouts work incredibly well and do a tremendous job following the strikes. They even giving you some insight into Wolverine without bogging it down with heavy-handed dialogue.

Soule has a commendable handle on Logan and, even though the X-Man's healing factor is gone, he continues to remind us that Wolvie is still the best at what he does and what he does doesn't require a healing factor or claws. We all know James Howlett can handle fodder with no problem, but it's too often writers will have him just leap and slash -- it almost seems like he's flailing instead of displaying skill. Soule, however, focuses on the fact that Logan does indeed have a ton of hand-to-hand training and something as simple as Wolverine dispatching some goons is turned into a legitimately exciting experience which showcases his technique and precision. Additionally, we all know Logan's down in the dumps right now, but instead of filling these great looking panels with blunt and unnecessary remarks, Soule's script is to the point and he allows the very talented art team to establish our emotional connection to the hero. Having Wolverine think about his savage fights with Sabretooth instead of spelling it out for us is so much more effective and the way we're harshly brought back into the moment worked extremely well.

The Bad

I'm all for seeing more from the two characters that appear in this chapter, but both show up in a far too coincidental and similar way. It's basically perfect timing on both their parts and there's very little explanation to justify it. I'm sure we'll get more information on why the cliffhanger cameo appeared at just the right time, but it was basically handled the same way as the person who appeared shortly prior to the end. As for the plot, we're given little hints and teasers about the greater picture, but it feels like there wasn't enough progress on that front. The connection to Logan and the action are thriving, but giving us just a little more to make the narrative a tad more compelling would have been very appreciated.

Doesn't impact the score: as much as I appreciate the issue, there should really be a cheaper version of this comic which comes without the commentary and director's cut. $4.99 per week is rough when so many of us are working with a limited budget.

The Verdict

DEATH OF WOLVERINE is certainly doing everything it can to earn your $4.99. The art team is top-notch and Soule clearly understands and respects the popular character. Logan may be walking a path that'll probably lead to his death, but these two chapters give me confidence that Soule will make the character go out on a strong note. The overall narrative won't blow you away just yet, but the intrigue is there, we have a good insight into Logan, the action is thrilling and does the character justice, and the cliffhanger will likely have many fans thoroughly anxious to get their hands on the next chapter. If Wolverine's going to die, I'm very glad this is the team that's handling his end. Maybe if we're lucky they'll handle his eventual return, too.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Charles Soule is amazing.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that action sequence with Logan skillfully dispatching bad guys was awesome. This and last issues fight with Nuke are the best Wolverine fights I've seen in a looong time. Soule & McNiven (and everyone else involved) are giving us some top stuff. Wish they'd been writing the regular series. Definitely hope they're involved with Wolverine in the future, whenever he recovers from his serious case of death.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@micah said:

Yeah, even though I'm more of a DC guy, I'm glad he's going over to Marvel, because it's good to know someone I trust so much to handle characters well and with respect will be over there.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

Yeah, even though I'm more of a DC guy, I'm glad he's going over to Marvel, because it's good to know someone I trust so much to handle characters well and with respect will be over there.

I love his work on Red Lanterns. He made it my first must buy lanterns book.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Charles Soule is the man! Dude never disappoints me, I was pretty skeptical on this series but decided to pick it up just because of him and it has been totally worth it so far.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

This was so damn good. I loved that Logan is actually showing his fighting skill without his claws. I love him with a beard and I love that he lost his eye. He looks like Checchetto's Punisher with the beard and banged eye patch.

When Deathstrike showed up and said that people like them were being hunted(Her, Logan, and Creed) I got a cold sweat and my stomach got in a knot as i thought this story was going to be about Romulus.

Not going to like Viper having Creed on a leash kind of uh...."excited" me :3

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

Issues 3 & 4 got delayed until October. Hopefully they will take out the useless director's cut stuff and bring the price down.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#10  Edited By Teerack

Issues 3 & 4 got delayed until October. Hopefully they will take out the useless director's cut stuff and bring the price down.

NOOOOOOOOOOO D: I'm so sad. I was thinking this would just an amazing mini that I could just read all pretty much at once.

So much sad...

No Caption Provided

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Soule is just so damn good with Wolverine. I really want him to write a Wolverine ongoing later when Logan comes back, he just gets the right feel and everything about Logan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baf755c5bf81
deactivated-5baf755c5bf81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Appearance of Kitty Pride and Lady Deathstrike was awesome for me.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StarBrand1

technically EVERY single comic a gimmick and a cash grab, money is the point of it ALL! why dont people understand this?

that being said.... LOVED IT! Issue 1 and 2 knocked it out of the park. Ive been reading for the past year so its been awesome seeing it all build up to this, bravo marvel!

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope they don't keep Logan with an eye missing moving forward.

Reading the recent X-Men Anniversary issue, in the future, they have Logan sporting said "eye patch". It's gimmicky, not to mention, Slade's already got dibs.

I know he went by the moniker "Patch" back in his Madripoor days, but it really, really doesn't fit long term.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 k4tzm4n  Moderator

technically EVERY single comic a gimmick and a cash grab, money is the point of it ALL! why dont people understand this?

that being said.... LOVED IT! Issue 1 and 2 knocked it out of the park. Ive been reading for the past year so its been awesome seeing it all build up to this, bravo marvel!

No one misunderstands the fact that the comic industry is a business, but heavily promoting something as "read this because a popular character is going to eventually die!" is off-putting to many.

I just hope they don't keep Logan with an eye missing moving forward.

Reading the recent X-Men Anniversary issue, in the future, they have Logan sporting said "eye patch". It's gimmicky, not to mention, Slade's already got dibs.

I know he went by the moniker "Patch" back in his Madripoor days, but it really, really doesn't fit long term.

The preview for #3 reveals his eye is seemingly fine, he just has scars going down that side of his face.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give this entire team the Wolverine ongoing when he gets revived. In fact, have then write the revival story too.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Thanks for clarifying. Was worried the preview might have been another flashback or something.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give this entire team the Wolverine ongoing when he gets revived. In fact, have then write the revival story too.

Seconded.

Wolverine doesn't need to "die" to be revitalized.

He needs a damn creative team who know how to tell stories and how to treat the character.

This team has it down thus far. Loving it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Wow Wolverine using fighting skills,that alone is worth a star.

PeterJohansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it a bit strange with Sabretooth. After the last many issues with "Corporate Creed" , I was confused for a second or two and even thought to myself, that this was the Creed from Age Of Apocalypse. But great issue otherwise!

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By progenitorigin
No Caption Provided

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it a bit strange with Sabretooth. After the last many issues with "Corporate Creed" , I was confused for a second or two and even thought to myself, that this was the Creed from Age Of Apocalypse. But great issue otherwise!

I found that change a bit jarring to, with just the "she sprung me from prison" explanation it seemed too much of a sudden regression for creed.