k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

This is a seriously funny issue and takes full advantage of Deadpool being able to break the fourth wall. I mean, the "intro page" is Deadpool reciting what has happened to a seemingly defeated Cable, and that page is later read by a character so they can catch-up. It's hilarious and that's just a tiny sample of the comedy writer Duane Swierczynski put in this book. Don't worry, it's not a version of the Merc with a Mouth that's purely a clown and "whoa, that's so wacky!" The writer makes sure Wade's delivering a steady stream of jokes, but when needed, the character can take a very formidable and dark turn. It's a very fitting balance for the merc, especially given the premise. Oh, and that ending? Even if you're left with mixed feelings on this issue, there's no way you'll be able to resist seeing what happens next.

Swierczynski seems to have an equal amount of fun with the rest of the cast, even if they don't appear as frequently. Even someone who doesn't crack jokes (Cable) still manages to get involved in several humorous scenes. All in all, the objective here is obviously to have a lighthearted blast and that's something they deliver up until the very end of the final "recap page."

Artist Pepe Larraz and colorist Nolan Woodard do an awesome job bringing Swierczynski's crazy script to life. From a dramatic look at an injured member of X-Force sitting against cover to the more ridiculous moments (I'll avoid giving any specifics), Larraz's pencils and Woodard's colors feel like the perfect fit for this over-the-top story. When things get violent and heavy, they're able to fill the panels with more compelling character work and expressions. When things get silly and full of action -- which is often -- the pages come to life with beautiful and bold displays of color and legitimately hysterical representations of these individuals. As said above, Wade Wilson's given a few very formidable moments and the art team really pulls us into these scenes with some great angles and savage bits of action.

The Bad

As much as I love the dynamic between Cable and Deadpool, it's a major bummer that the remainder of X-Force is basically cast aside and their objective is basically "hold your ground!" Sure, this gives each of them exciting and even funny moments (the bit with Cannonball gave me a good laugh), but it's disappointing they aren't more involved. With a book this self-aware, it would be funny if the title was DEADPOOL VS. CABLE (and X-Force). Hopefully they'll get more time to shine in the next issue.

The Verdict

Are you a Deadpool fan and you want to enjoy some comedic, action-packed, and good looking fun? Then you should really consider this limited series. Yes, the overall narrative may not feel very inspired, but they're having a wild time playing around with how these characters -- well, most notably Cable and Deadpool -- would act in this situation. With so many stern and serious stories out there, sometimes it's just okay to jump into something that focuses solely on entertaining you with a ton of action and a heck of a lot of enjoyable banter. Thanks for the laughs, DEADPOOL VS. X-FORCE #3.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I'm gonna have to start reading this series

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This makes me want Cable and Deadpool to make a comeback even more so than usual.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

This makes me want Cable and Deadpool to make a comeback even more so than usual.

I would love a second volume of Cable and Deadpool.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@teerack said:
@maddpanda531 said:

same here

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@teerack said:
@maddpanda531 said:

same here

Totally agree.

HigorM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6 HigorM  Moderator

SamuraiPool