Why do people hate Daniel Way's Deadpool so much?

PotatoLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Currently reading Vol 1 of his run of Deadpool, and I'm loving it. Anybody wanna explain the hate?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

He has a very poor grasp on the character.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^^He's right you know.

Jmarshmallow

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

It didn't make much sense when compared to other comics and it featured a terrible Deadpool.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like it...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

Remind me what is Daniel Way's Deadpool?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His Deadpool was just pure gimmick and no characterization at all.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By The Lobster

He was just an overall lazy writer, with a poor grasp on the charcter. He pretty much took a great character, and dumbed him down for a mass audience.

How lazy was he?

Well, he introduced the the voices with no explanation other than Daniel Way needing an excuse to not need a supporting cast. Read some of his interviews. He flat out admits it. He wrote the voices so the book wouldn't become, "Deadpool and Friends." Which is an excuse for not wanting to write more than one character. Besides, Deadpool was usually the kind of person who would seek out people to say funny things to. Like his friends or side characters (Weasel, Bob, Agent X, Outlaw, Bullseye, or Blind Al). Heck Blind Al used to live with him, so she was always there to chat with him. That's why he kept her "hostage", because he needed someone in his life who was always there for him. That's the point of having side characters, so that you don't need voices in the character's head. Anything the voices do in a thematic or practical sense could be done with one of Deadpool's side characters. So why bother having voices at all? Instead of Deadpool talking to himself....why not just have him talk to Weasel over the phone?

Imagine it like this. Imagine if a writer decided to say....."you know, Wolverine is too violent and he's alienating the child audiences we have.....hurm....I think I'll take away his claws." Then you read the first issue of this writers series and Wolverine suddenly has no claws and instead just fights with his fist. No explanation how he lost them, no continuity, just no more claws anymore. People would throw a hissy fit and crucify this writer. Should Daniel Way get a get out of continuity free card just because he can use the excuse that Deadpool is crazy?

Plus, the voices ruin one of Deadpool's most iconic traits....his motormouth? How is he the merc with the mouth when all of his jokes are inside his head?

Not to mention, Before Way, Deadpool was a complex, deeply scared crying clown....and not just Peter Griffin in a mask who heard voices and saw hallucinations because, well, that's what crazy means right? Yes Daniel Way....but Deadpool was never THAT kind of crazy. Making him THAT kind of crazy is a huge step backward from the character he already was.

Then there's the fact, he ignored all continuity and thought he can just start anew and ignore everything that came before. He only mentions something that came before if it serves a purpose to his story, he doesn't care if he writes something that contradicts everything that came before....so long as he can write his little story. He didn't care if what he's having the character do is out of character and goes against everything that character is, just as long as it makes for a good moment. He wrote jokes than told stories around those jokes.....instead of writing a story and having the jokes stem from that story.

The only thing I could say that was positive about Way's run was that he had some good ideas, but they were executed terribly.