Five Developments from DEADPOOL #36

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Marvel has released plenty of teasers that reveal Deadpool will play a decent role in the publisher's latest big event, AXIS, and he finally made his big appearance in AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #2's cliffhanger. Well, he was technically in the background, but it was still a cool reveal! Now it's up to co-writers Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn, artist Mike Hawthorne, inker Terry Pallot, and colorist Jordie Bellaire to reveal how Wade Wilson enters the fray and what it'll mean for his future. But before Deadpool leaps into all of the craziness the big event is generating, he has a couple other matters that require his attention. Now, grab your copy of DEADPOOL #36, get cozy, and let's talk about it.

Oh yeah, and there's obviously spoilers in here!

Deadpool needs to donate organs regularly to the Faux X-Men

No Caption Provided

Wilson brought the "Faux X-Men" to the X-Men because he knows the brilliant Hank McCoy, a.k.a. Beast, has the resources and intellect required to potentially save these damaged experiments. However, not long after Kim and the others from North Korea came to Beast for help, the X-Man told Wade he needed something: a liver. Considering Deadpool's dark and manipulated history, going under the knife isn't easy for him, even if it's to help a friend. But he'll seemingly do anything for Kim, so he agrees to the operation. He wakes up full of fear and it gives him flashbacks of his twisted past, but ultimately, he knows it was for the greater good. Unfortunately, it turns out Wade's assistance won't end with his liver. Beast lets him know that he'll likely need to make "regular donations." The merc may often have a smile on his face and a joke spewing out of his mouth, but agreeing to this deal is a sign of his character. Sure, he's done some terrible things, but he's putting aside how much this haunts him in order to help Kim and the others. Captain America would be proud.

Trouble in paradise the sewers

No Caption Provided

Deadpool's wedding was this grand event that was heavily promoted by Marvel, but since then, the two characters have mostly been doing their own thing. They occasionally interact, but the bond hasn't been that strong -- at least from what we can see. Shiklah's mostly focused on her conflict with Dracula, and Deadpool, well, he's got a lot going on. With all of the madness that is coming out of AXIS, Shiklah's doing what she can to protect the city and wants to lock it down. So, when Wade says he needs to go to make sure his daughter is safe, she's not very pleased with his decision. Are we reading too much into this or is there some serious relationship drama on the horizon? And what'll happen when Deadpool becomes "Zenpool"? It'll drastically change their dynamic. Will Shiklah prefer this more polite and balanced take on the character, or will she be disappointed by his sudden politeness?

Magneto recruits Deadpool

No Caption Provided

We all know who's part of Magneto's team, but this issue shows how Magneto recruited Wade and why. In Wolverine's absence, the Master of Magnetism needed the next best thing. Deadpool may not have adamantium lacing, but his accelerated healing factor and lethal abilities means he's a great addition to any team. You know, assuming they can tolerate his banter. "But Magneto already has Sabretooth, so why add Deadpool? Isn't that redundant?" One would think so and, let's be honest, Deadpool's probably on the team because of his popularity and Rick Remender seems to like writing him (and we like how he writes Wade!), but it seems like Victor Creed was kind of a package deal with Mystique. Plus, where's the harm in having two deadly healers on the team? What's interesting is this seems to contradict last week's MAGNETO #11 -- an issue in which Erik recruits characters for his team. In that, Wade seeks Magneto out and requests to join the team. Seems like a bit of a continuity error to have Wade recruited in a different way a week later, but this one is a more amusing approach, anyway.

Inversion has begun

No Caption Provided

In the end of AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #3, things get heated between the Avengers and the X-Men. But instead of it seeming like part of the inversion, it plays off of the AVENGERS VS. X-MEN conflict. It's easily to believe the strong emotions are sincere and not the result of some crazy magic. DEADPOOL #36, however, makes it perfectly clear that the heroes have now taken a turn for the worse. You know something's wrong when even Kurt Wagner, one of the sweetest and nicest X-Men around, calls you a "wretch" and tells you your friends are no longer allowed to crash at his place. The fact that Carnage, a bloodthirsty and vicious maniac, said "hi!" to Wade with a smile on his symbiotic face was just icing on the inverted cake. Get ready for a new status quo, people.

"Zenpool" takes over

No Caption Provided

If Kurt's acting like a jerk, you know what that means for Deadpool, right? It's time for his own version Mister Rogers to step front and center! Maybe they'll start calling him "The Merc with Manners." While resting, Wade has a little discussion with himself and realizes he's seen so much blood, sadness and tragedy. Because of that, he thinks it's okay to let a more positive, uplifting, and kind version of him to take control. When we reach the final page, we see "Zenpool" has already taken control and transformed his backyard into far more relaxing setting -- something his neighbors seem to be fond of. We're guessing they'll be new supporting characters in the upcoming arc. Duggan and Posehn have shown us hilarious, violent, and grim stories with the character, but now it's time to see Wade walk around with a legitimate feeling of joy flowing through him. Needless to say, it should be an interesting change of pace. There is no Deadpool, only Zenpool!

What did you think about DEADPOOL #36? Share your thoughts about the issue's biggest developments in the comments section below.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I thought it was kind of disappointing honestly.:-\

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@dagmar_merrill said:

What didn't you like about it? One bit I didn't include -- since it's not really a big development -- but really liked was the hysterical scene with Sabretooth. Also, that group shot by Hawthorne was awesome.

JTKirk101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Maybe you missed it... but Deadpool's a Temporary Avenger !!!!!

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By murderpool

I fear for shik-pool...I really like their relationship.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, for the point "Magneto Recruit Deadpool"... yes, maybe it's a continuity error, but I see that more as a "different point of view telling the story"

Both in Magneto and Deadpool book we se the other character searching for the protagonist, and it seem logic that two ego-maniac such as Magneto and Deadpool may never admit to anyone, neither itself, having asked the help of the other :)

So we probably never know the truth :)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Maybe you missed it... but Deadpool's a Temporary Avenger !!!!!

Ha. Nah, tried to focus on plot points in this and not just jokes ;)

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Wait, so he's supplying the X-Men with cancer-riddled organs?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, Marvel needs to keep track of their continuity. In Magneto 11, Erik only happens to pass by Wade and

offers him a place on his Cabal. A week later they change it and have him seek out Deadpool.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: Not the X-Men, the Faux X-Men, they all have cancer like him and I doubt they're going to be on any hospital waiting lists

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

i do like the look of zenpool

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He just got married dammit, let him have his time with his wife before chopping it out like ALL the couples in comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@k4tzm4n said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

What didn't you like about it? One bit I didn't include -- since it's not really a big development -- but really liked was the hysterical scene with Sabretooth. Also, that group shot by Hawthorne was awesome.

The new inker isn't as good as the old one. I'm not reading Axis so I really feel confused there and honestly after tying into Original Sin I wish they would keep it out of events.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

The new inker isn't as good as the old one. I'm not reading Axis so I really feel confused there and honestly after tying into Original Sin I wish they would keep it out of events.

I think this had a better connection to Axis than it did to Original Sin. I can see how it's an unpleasant interruption if you're not reading Axis, though.