k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

With the exception of one arc, DEADPOOL always has a visual team that does an awesome job handling the tone of its stories. In this case, artist Salva Espin and colorist Val Staples (who's had plenty of time with this series) are a great fit for this fun and somewhat silly story. We all know the end of Wade Wilson's book is right around the corner, so this seems like it's Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn's way of offering some popcorn fun before things get more intense. This arc is an action-comedy and Salva's animated style combined with Staples' consistently striking and crisp colors makes this a nice sight for our eyes. I mean, a dude gets his head knocked off and instead of looking gory or over-the-top, it's presented in a way that makes it funny. The really lively expressions -- especially with Omega Red and what we can see of Deadpool's face through his mask -- were handled really well, too. I do have one criticism about the art, though: the Guile character wasn't there! Maybe he was killed in the first attack. Rest it peace, master of the sonic boom.

This story is not compelling, emotional or dark -- well, that's a bit of lie because there's hints of the latter -- it's just throwing a bunch of entertaining action and levity our way. Sure, there's a deeper message here about how the U.S. acts in certain nations and there's small displays of more depth with Wade, but when all is said and done, you'll be thinking about the good times this issue offered. It's one that'll definitely make you crack up and smile as it refuses to slow down with the jokes and action. Even though this version of Omega Red is nothing compared to the original, it's still a fight that was a blast to watch. Then again, Deadpool versus the classic Omega Red is totally unfair (Wolverine fought him for almost an entire day and still lost!), so I guess it's better off this way. It's a little odd the dude didn't display any powers, but watching him use the coils as weapons was pretty badass. It's hilarious that Trapster technically saves the day at one point and the final line just goes to show how these writers can drop some solid foreshadowing and comedy at the same time.

The Bad

Seeing as it was announced that Deadpool will "die" (using quotes because we can't know for sure just yet), there's a part where the narrative tries to imply it'll be Omega Red who eventually finishes the job. Except the foe's dialogue feels a little too direct and this is all completely countered by the final page and then the reveal of the next issue's cover (this was provided at the end of my ComiXology copy) didn't help much, either. Basically, I don't believe even for a second right now that Omega Red is going to kill Wade. Maybe I'll have to eat my words, but that doesn't seem likely with this one.

It kind of feels like the focus on Shiklah is just taking up space at this point. I'm curious about her world and it's well-written (and funny), but nothing is really going on there except for reminders that she's not very happy with Wade.

Maybe Duggan and Posehn haven't explained it yet, but I'm left wondering how the second version of Omega Red is still alive. Is this the same one we saw in Rick Remender's run? The dialogue and look implies it, but he was seemingly killed. Was he resurrected? Is this a different one with the same design and similar programming? The dialogue implies it's the second version and not Arkady, but a little more information would be great since we're dealing with a character who was dead the last time we saw them. It's looking like they'll use the villain's brainwashing ("you killed my family! I know it was you!") in an effective way, though.

Minor/personal criticism: when Deadpool's in a rough spot and he sees what he has on him that he could use to his advantage, he does something that's an immediate solution, but it could be rendered useless like, a second later if the enemy wanted to. What happens next is interesting, but it's a terrible move on his part. This villain isn't as durable as the original Omega Red and we know Wade's brilliant with throwing weapons, so why not throw it at his enemy's throat or some other vulnerable spot? Come on, Wade!

The Verdict

Man, there's only 3 issues left? That's such a bummer, especially because it doesn't really feel like this series is heading towards its end. It still makes me laugh and it still offers ridiculously fun action sequences, but the sense of "everything ends soon" just isn't there yet. I mean, there's a solid and funny teaser in the end, but this isn't feeling like a "big" story yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm still really enjoying it and I have nothing but faith in this creative team -- they've certainly earned it. Hopefully things begin to escalate in the next chapter, but for now, this was a thoroughly entertaining dose of action and fun with just a wee bit of character on the side. Seriously, I think the creative team is telling a story that even Deadpool would enjoy reading.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nice

deathcamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it. The fight kept me page turning

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really gonna miss this book.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

ok i was going to rant but i forgot about the second omega red i was going to say he was very weak compared to arkady . other than that i thought it was a pretty fun book. with the shiklah scene i heard the guards voice as richard moll to go with the inside joke.