k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

This is an issue that shows how well co-writers Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn can balance emotion and comedy. I mean, we're talking about a chapter in which Deadpool is trying to figure out where he belongs. Does he stay with Agent Preston and his daughter? Maybe he hangs out with Michael? Or maybe he spends some quality time with his wife? No, he winds up at a place where Butler experimented on him because that seems to be the only place where he really feels at home. How twisted and powerful is that? This guy now has a variety of friends and loved ones in his life, yet he's never felt more alone. You really did a number on Wade, AXIS.

It's not long before the issue travels into much, much sillier territory, but the little dose of character is hugely appreciated and there's still hints of that when things begin to take goofier turns. The comedy here may not be as strong as previous issues (it's tough to follow the absurdly funny last issue), but there's still some good gags and it has me plenty interested in seeing how this story will lead us to #45, the final issue. Not only will they focus on character and comedy, but it looks like the upcoming issues will give the series an organic way to offer a more serious message, too.

Salva Epsin's style feels more far more cartoonish than what we usually see from the title, so it works really, really well when it comes to the levity. It may not deliver darker emotions as effectively as previous talent did, but it's a sharp and consistently fun looking issue. Throw in Val Staples' coloring -- the guy always does a great job on this title -- and this ends up feeling like an animated movie. These don't feel like static images; these characters and settings come to life in amusing ways. Also, it's a minor thing, but I really appreciate how the issue puts actual video games on the TV screen. It's a small touch yet manages to make the setting feel a little more immersive.

The Bad

I thought both Omega Reds are dead? Hopefully this appearance will be explained in the next issue. I'm very curious to see how this character is utilized and honestly, I'm a little skeptical. The character is a powerhouse and won't be easy to put down. Just ask Wolverine. I'm really hoping this individual wasn't brought back only to be downplayed. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! Also -- and more importantly -- there's only 4 issues left in this series and, as of right now, this doesn't really feel like it's building towards something huge and out of the ordinary. It's pretty much a whole lot of silly and fun set-up. It's safe to assume this will more than likely turn into a way more compelling situation, but right now I'm not really feeling that weight. There's good displays of depth here and hints of a more powerful narrative, but it quickly turns into lighthearted fun.

The Verdict

The end of DEADPOOL is nigh! While this may not feel like the beginning of the end, it's still a comic that had me totally absorbed. Espin and Staples are a great visual team for the comedy and the script has plenty of it. But this issue isn't just laughs! This one has a strong, character-driven opening and continues to show hints of Wade's depth throughout the lighthearted journey. What's especially interesting is this comedic adventure is dipping into far more political material and I'm sure that's something they'll explore in the upcoming issues. DEADPOOL #40 is proof these writers can deliver a serious message and make us laugh at the same time. Sure, things get silly pretty quickly, but Duggan and Posehn still have a great handle on the character and I can't wait to see what'll happen next.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

i know it aint for a couple more months, but i am super bummed that Gerry Duggan/Posehn's run is coming to an end. seriously enjoyed their work.

definitely up there with Daniel Way's run.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I had to drop a couple of books, this was one of them. I'm rethinking that decision.

Alucard2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Really? I know this run is good but man I despise Daniel Way's run that was probably the worst run of Deadpool I have read and I've read every run of Deadpool.

But I agree Brian/Duggan run is a blast and absolutely fun.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

At SDCC when I was getting my books signed by Duggan and Posehn, I was complimenting them on their run and said that I hope it lasts 50 issues. Posehn said "Oh at this point we'll make it past 50".

HE LIED TO MEEEEEEEEE

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_hickmanisgod: I put Duggan and Posehn up there with Kelly. I think the good the bad and the ugly was actually the best story in deadpool history which also helped clear up a lot of his mythos in a satisfying way.

I think the boys at marvel have something up there sleeves though and. They could be throwing us an "All new Wade Wilson" series. They are not just gonna end one the best selling and consistent books in their catalog

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vojtavem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_hickmanisgod said:

Really? I know this run is good but man I despise Daniel Way's run that was probably the worst run of Deadpool I have read and I've read every run of Deadpool.

Daniel Way was very much on the zany side of deadpool, and while it lacked a lot of the depth from deadpools other series, I think it was probably the funniest one. It had the two voices in his head, his showdown with Bullseye, him as an X-man, hit-monkey.... it might be his least good (I´m not gonna say worst) run, but it is still his fourth best and my close second favourite behind the Cable and Deadpool series. It was not THAT bad, i swear....

Alucard2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vojtavem said:

@alucard2099 said:

@j_hickmanisgod said:

Daniel Way was very much on the zany side of deadpool, and while it lacked a lot of the depth from deadpools other series, I think it was probably the funniest one. It had the two voices in his head, his showdown with Bullseye, him as an X-man, hit-monkey.... it might be his least good (I´m not gonna say worst) run, but it is still his fourth best and my close second favourite behind the Cable and Deadpool series. It was not THAT bad, i swear....

He became a punching bag for Hit-monkey, he was not an X-Man and was just used by them and he got dirt on him to bail out X-Men, his battle with Bullseye was the only part I really enjoyed that and his fight with the Thunderbolts, but in terms of characterization he was made a goofy character the only reason I stuck with the book was that I am a huge fan of Deadpool because of the way he was written by the previous writers before Daniel Way.

Anyways to each their own I suppose.

vojtavem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alucard2099: Look, you can have your DP deep, you can have him funny, you can have him both or neither. From these things, I would always prefer those with funny in them. I know it sucked compared to Joe Kelly´s or the current runs, but still, was it the Fiffe´s Ultimates? I don´t think it was the worst that could have happened.

Alucard2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vojtavem said:

@alucard2099: Look, you can have your DP deep, you can have him funny, you can have him both or neither. From these things, I would always prefer those with funny in them. I know it sucked compared to Joe Kelly´s or the current runs, but still, was it the Fiffe´s Ultimates? I don´t think it was the worst that could have happened.

Like I said friend :) to each their own.