k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

You know how sometimes a story will open with a scene that takes place a little in the future and tease the issue's big outcome? Yeah, I'm rarely a fan of that method of storytelling and it's exactly how DEADPOOL #33 begins. That said, co-writers Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn have impressed me and then some with this volume, so I shrugged my pet peeve aside and hoped for the best. Thankfully, they delivered. Now, it's a little tough to discuss this without treading into somewhat spoilery territory, but I'll do my best.

The situation with Wade Wilson's daughter isn't quite as emotional as you'd expect (they delivered some seriously powerful bits in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, after all), but there's just enough heart thrown into this issue which mostly consists of absolutely insane action and solid laughs. It's a tightly paced conclusion and juggles just all of the tones and elements you've come to expect from this book very well. Absurd gore? Check. A nice dose of levity? Check. Just enough depth to show Wade Wilson isn't a complete joke? Check. Everything I've come to love about this book's writing is present in this chapter. It's also funny to see the vampire plot -- something which I've said feels like filler in this arc -- is basically cast aside in a humorous way and the two writers once again open the door to a new -- and hopefully great -- storyline.

The crazy amount of action allows artist John Lucas and colorist Val Staples to really let loose. These two make sure the violence is so over-the-top yet still relevant to the narrative. Deadpool isn't just slicing fools apart because he can -- he's doing everything and then some in hopes of protecting his daughter. It's exaggerated moments like those that really compliment Lucas' more cartoon-ish style. You're so focused on the action and how shockingly effective it's being deliver that complaints about character work are mostly pushed to the side. I mean, with one slice, Deadpool cuts off part of a guy's head and slices another person in half. Stuff like that is so crazy that you can't help but stare. Plus, Staples makes sure all of this bloodshed and more emotional moments are matched with completely appropriate shades. Even if you're not fond of the pencils, you've got to respect the coloring put into this one.

The Bad

When it's not exaggerated violence, Lucas' fluctuating character work -- most notably with heads and facial features -- becomes very distracting. His style is most definitely unique -- there's no denying that -- but when we're dealing with gripping conversations and more compelling scenes that aim to capture our emotions, you can't help but be taken totally out of the moment as you note the shape of one character's head or see a mutant's face drastically change from panel to panel. The narrative made the wise choice to stray away from the vampire madness and focus on Deadpool's daughter, but unfortunately, the pencils take away from the overall quality of the read.

The Verdict

The merc with a mouth's mission to protect his daughter reaches a bloody, funny, and slightly heartfelt conclusion. You have to respect the fact that, since the very first story arc, Duggan and Posehn have been telling stories that take a toll and stick with Wade. He's not simply moving from one mission to the next -- there's connections between each and every one of them and, as remarked in this issue, they're bringing some change to the character. This story may not be as strong as some of the previous arcs and the pencils will be too distracting for some, but it has a satisfying conclusion and I'm stoked for the next "lost" issue -- those are always a total blast!

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

That's it! No more John Lucas! Can't wait for this to return to being one of my favorite books.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The X-Men Thing was too out of left field for me

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I viewed it as a nice reminder/callback to his time on Remender's run, so I liked it.

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@thecheesestabber said:

I viewed it as a nice reminder/callback to his time on Remender's run, so I liked it.

I did too but for people who never read Uncanny X Force (SHAME ON THEM >:O) it would seem off

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 k4tzm4n  Moderator
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

@k4tzm4n: So you gonna go to my Will and Last Testament to see what I left you in my will :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I can't wait to read this

ftw201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

5/5 for being Lucas' last issue on pencils. I'm so happy to not have to look at it anymore. Otherwise, I loved this issue.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with, well, everyone. So glad Lucas is done on the art. It seriously killed my enjoyment of this arc.

I don't currently read any of the X books, so the character that showed up here really surprised me, I loved Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Has he showed up in any of the other books since that run ended?

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lucas was so wrong for this book. Should have brought Tony Moore on for this one. They both handle the humor, gore and action well but this book isn't just about that. Tony could convey general emotion better and the script struggled to have a consistent voice because the dialogue seemed to refuse to express what the face was showing and vice versa.

$#!+ he even managed to make a certain bad@$$ mutant look lame for the first time in the history of this incarnation....liked that the script was throwing him in there and showing that their relationship didn't end because the series did.

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, glad that's over. I certainly won't be tricked into reading this series again!

How is it that someone who literally can't draw a semi-accurate human head is an employed, professional comics artist?

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla: He and the other character who showed up are consistently great in Wolverine & the X-men. The first arc that just finished in the newest volume was actually kinda centered on them, and it was awesome. I highly recommend it.

signal11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so glad this artist's run is over. I literally can't look at a page with John Lucas's art without think how terrible the art is. This overrides my enjoyment of reading comics so much, I can't actually read the comic.

John Lucas's art isn't just bad. Bad art happens in comics. John Lucas, OTOH< is distractingly and offensively awful.

I find myself resenting this guy because I can't actually read this comic. I longboxes full of Deadpool comics going way back and I'm angry and annoyed because this art is so viscerally terrible, it's preventing me from knowing what's going on in what looks to be an important, character building story art for Deadpool.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Great issue

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@signal11: Sums up my feelings quite nicely.