Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"I hate Zack Snyder, he's ruining DC's movies!"

"I hate the New 52, it's ruining DC's Comics!"

"I hate WB Animation, they're ruining DC's cartoons!"

"The ears on Ben Affleck's Batsuit are too short, it's ruining my life!"

It seems like a lot of DC "fans" hate absolutely everything about DC and do nothing but complain. I don't know how you can be a fan if you hate the DC movies, comics, and animations.

What gives? Over on the Marvel forum it's all "hooray for Joss Whedon!" and they just seem generally happier. What is it about DC that attracts all of the whiners and complainers?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

DC's shortcomings + internet = heightened reactions

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Inb4therustling

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

DC heroes are more iconic. They're older and have been the staple of comics since their inception. Most of Marvel heroes all came decades after DC heroes and arent as iconic.

DC fans aren't used to change because DC has maintained their image as the company of legends, while Marvel is more willing to adapt and change.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

Pretty much this.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plus, Marvel has a bunch of phony new fans who don't know when Marvel movies betray their source material since they've never read the books. DC fans, excluding Batman's legion of phony fans, have read the books and are more demanding that the source material is maintained.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Any time someone asks "why are (incert group of people) so (insert adjective)" they are automatically wrong.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IM4 was crap with really no resemblance of the source material, but Marvel got away with it and people defended it.

MoS did something that is true to the source material (he's killed before and he's killed Zod before), but since most Superman comic fans have an opinion that Superman doesn't kill, they made their criticism known.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter said:

Pretty much this.

Whatever you do stay away from those Youtube comment sections.....

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

@micah said:

@the_stegman said:

@longbowhunter said:

Pretty much this.

I avoid that hive of scum and villainy like the plague.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By micah007123

@the_stegman said:

@micah said:

@the_stegman said:

@longbowhunter said:

Pretty much this.

I need to follow your example. Nothing but a den of foolishness and fake fans of whatever genre the conversations/videos are about, especially when it comes to comicbooks.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Any time someone asks "why are (incert group of people) so (insert adjective)" they are automatically wrong.

+ the irony of whining about whiners :P

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a DC fan I agree DC fans are whiny and it's annoying

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@micah said:

@the_stegman said:

@micah said:

@the_stegman said:

@longbowhunter said:

Pretty much this.

I need to follow your example. Nothing but a den of foolishness and fake fans of whatever genre the conversations/videos are about, especially when it comes to comicbooks.

I rarely go peeking at youtube comments. It quickly turns into a racist, sexist, homophobic dog fight with seemingly no provocation.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

+ the irony of whining about whiners :P

Paradoxes are fun

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@the_stegman said:

@micah said:

@the_stegman said:

@longbowhunter said:

Pretty much this.

I rarely go peeking at youtube comments. It quickly turns into a racist, sexist, homophobic dog fight with seemingly no provocation.

Sad part is your right.

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the new 52 is literally a cluster fuck right now with no idea what's going on. IN the new 52, they say GL happen, even Blackest Night. Then we find out there is no Wally West in the New 52 yet, so how could blackest Night happen in the new 52 if Wally wasn't there to play a pivotal role in that battle? So the answer is "Well.. it SORTA happen like that." But when asked they said "Everything that happen in the old universe happen in the new 52."

It's damn confusing!

That being said however, Marvel fans are just as whiney. "I hate Bendish! Omg, Slott can't write Spidey for crap! Ugh, what the hell is going on with these others books now. I hate it."

Vocal Minority.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duzz: But what I don't get is why people continue to call themselves fans, still read the comics, still watch the movies, but then jump online to type about all the reasons why they hate it.

My point is: if you don't like DC's comics or movies, you can't like DC. It's impossible. You can't like a company but then criticize literally everything they do. If you don't like DC's comics or movies, you don't like DC. I can't even begin to understand why those people still call themselves "fans" if they hate everything they're watching/reading.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movies are run by WB, not DC so they don't count (plus they are always awful so it seems like people are in the right to complain.

As for the comics, yeah I'd say people complain way too much.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you should put this thread in the Wonder Woman forum. Theyre the whiniest bunch on this entire site.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Really how so? If you don't mind me asking.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Really how so? If you don't mind me asking.

lol, oh man, if you have some time and feel like laughing, just go to the wonder woman forums. you'll see what i mean.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically if you don't like something you should shut up and go away?

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: No, if you don't like something, don't call yourself a fan of it. People are allowed to say they don't like something, but I find it a bit odd that people spend their time saying "I'm a huge fan of DC, except for their comics and movies and animations and everything else they do. Apart from all that though, I love them."

To be fair, the title of this thread is a little harsh; it's not all DC fans, it's not even most of them, it's just a few that seem really intent on overloading DC forums with complaints about DC.

I'm of the "if you don't like it, don't read/watch it" mindset

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because DC doesn't exist anymore.

Darktimecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC sucks right now, Marvel doesn't. Pretty simple.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are annoying at the best of times no lie.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because most of the characters from DC that we love are older than the people currently writing the comics they appear in. DC characters are timeless and transcend simply being a part of the company.

You can love a character with all your heart and soul but not like how they are currently being handled by the newest writers on the book, or how editorial is messing with the stories to fit their agenda. You can love the characters and hate the newest re-imagining of the character, or how the character was changed in the most recent adaptation. And it can be incredibly frustrating to love a character so much only to see them constantly disrespected in the comics or see their personality butchered in an adaptation. In fact it's completely normal.

Just as people who like the changes made to the characters have the right to like it, people who don't like the changes have the right to voice their complaints.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: How do you know if you don't like it if you don't read it first?

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plus, Marvel has a bunch of phony new fans who don't know when Marvel movies betray their source material since they've never read the books. DC fans, excluding Batman's legion of phony fans, have read the books and are more demanding that the source material is maintained.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: That's not the problem. The problem is people who read, for example, issue 30 of Superman, then go online and write about how awful this new Superman is and how there's nothing good about it.

Then a month later, they read issue 31 of Superman, then go online and write about how awful this new Superman is and how there's nothing good about it.

Then a month later, they read issue 32 of Superman, then go online and...

If you don't like something, you're allowed to say you don't like it. But why would you then keep buying that same comic you don't like and keep telling everyone that you still don't like it?

Why say you hate DC's movies, and then continue to watch every new DC movie that comes out?

Doesn't it make more sense to just stop reading/watching if you don't like it?

Of course everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but it just seems stupid to keep posting that same opinion every week. We get it. You don't like the New 52. Just say you don't like it and then stop buying it. But don't say you don't like it, the keep buying it, and then tell everyone how much you hate it over and over and over and over again.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: In the movie 10 Dudley Moore and Julie Andrews live across the way from a man who watches them with a telescope and they watch him with a telescope. Throughout the movie Dudley spies on the man while he makes love but Julie Andrews always closes the curtain when the man tries to spy on them. At the end of the movie, just before Dudley Moore and Julie Andrews make love the man -thinking that they aren't going to- curses and stops watching and this is the one time when he could have seen them.

My point is that you can dislike an entire story until the end and the end can save it. What I most hear from writers these days is that there is a great, long plan and that if we only hang in there we'll all see how great this is going to be. I heard all through cw how balanced it was going to be and how at the end we'd see something really great and what did I get? Tony as a super villain, Cap who gives up in the final fight and then gets shot while Tony goes onto become the great despot of the mu. I expected a great ending for the Mary Marvel storyline and I saw her get her powers back and then accept and offer from Darkseid. But it could have turned out differently, it could have been great. If I hadn't hung in to the end how would I ever know?

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: Right, but doesn't that mean that you should stick out the whole thing before you make a judgement?

By that logic (a logic I agree with) you should read an entire story/run and THEN say whether or not you liked it, rather than saying "I hate this" after every issue.

Right?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duzz: But what I don't get is why people continue to call themselves fans, still read the comics, still watch the movies, but then jump online to type about all the reasons why they hate it.

My point is: if you don't like DC's comics or movies, you can't like DC. It's impossible. You can't like a company but then criticize literally everything they do. If you don't like DC's comics or movies, you don't like DC. I can't even begin to understand why those people still call themselves "fans" if they hate everything they're watching/reading.

Have you seen the Thor/Odinson threads? A month or so ago, they loved the writer, now he's the anti-Christ of writers to that fanbase and they're practically at each others throats over defending/bashing a backhanded comment made in one of the latest comics.

Then there was the whole Mutant/Inhuman debacle which riled up quite a lot of fans of those characters, and particular the Magnus family.

It's been said that there are more DC fans than Marvel fans here, so maybe that's why you see what you see. Add to that, the fans can be passionate. Wrong and passionate, but at the very least passionate, which can be both a blessing and a curse, but at the end of the day, a lot of people aren't just Marvel or DC fans, but comic fans in general that have grievances that they want to air like it's Festivus. You can be a fan and not like the state of things and say so, and you'll stay on in hopes that things get better and even when things are bad, there are still things to be a fan about when it comes to whatever you like.

-daydream-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so u decided to be whiny about whiners?

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: Then there'd be very little chatter at all, each issue is a chapter and since you have to wait a month for a chapter you are going to focus on what is right and wrong in the chapter you have.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't please everyone

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: There could still be plenty of discussion, just less of the "this is the worst thing to ever happen in comics until next month when it'll be even worse"

If people have fair and reasoned comments, fine. The problem is the whole "this sucks because I said so" type of comment. I'll give some examples to show what I'm talking about:

Good Comment: "I really don't like the changes in the New 52 Superman. I feel like he's acting really out of character, and the suit redesign just doesn't look that good to me."

Bad Comment: "New 52 Superman SUCKS! Bring back the old universe! I hate the New 52!"

Good Comment: "I'm pretty disappointed in the Aquaman movie costume. It just doesn't look right to me, I much preferred the blonde-haired look. I'm really starting to lose faith in Zack Snyder, and I wish he'd stop using that dull filter on all of the shots and use some colour for once."

Bad Comment: "I hate Zack Snyder, WB need to fire him right now! Get someone else to do the DC movies."

See what I mean? I'm not saying nobody should have any criticism, I'm just saying that the DC forum seems overrun with people repeatedly complaining about the same things and never explaining why they don't like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

everyone has a complex

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@minisaladfresh: Maybe they feel that there is no point in elaborating. I remember when civil war was marvel's big thing. I spent a lot of hours and post on two different boards pointing out how I thought it was bad, how it made no sense, didn't work, was badly plotted and legally on the level of an elementary student. I pointed out the crime that Tony Stark committed and posted scans of the actual pages. It didn't do me any good as responses ranged from 'it's comics' to 'they aren't going to do that, no one would read it' and so on. One person insisted that Tony Stark committed no crimes because he'd never been arrested and that the scan of him being confronted by his crimes didn't count because it was 1) In only 1 title and 2) he only ordered the reporters out of the room after they listed his crimes, he didn't admit to them. Another said that there was no torture or abuse in the negative zone prison because it wasn't shown. I posted a scan of Peter and Tony walking through the prison and someone calling out weakly 'help me, help me...' That, they said, didn't prove anything. I won't even mention the defenses that were marshaled after the clone of Thor showed up. Recently? Trying speaking out against Carol Danvers new costume, see what happens.

You can be as elaborate as you want, you can post scans and marshal arguments that Cicero himself would be proud to speak in the Roman forum; but in the end it doesn't seem to do much good. (Didn't do him much good in the end either come to think of it) People believe what ever they want to believe so long as the like the title or the theme of the comic or character in question.

A lot of people I think realize that and just type what they feel knowing that arguments won't do any good anyway.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whiney? They have all reason to be upset, the reboot destroyed all of their favourite characters' backstories and origins. To boot, there were voting polls for the New 52 to get a sense of the target demographic and they were rigged to appeal to young adolescent males.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think man of steel is worthy of an oscar

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@parachomp: Well you say "rigged" but I kind of doubt that.

I'd say the majority of people who visit my local comic shop are adolescent males. I think the movies have brought in a whole lot of that audience.

It's also possible that there are more adult readers, but more teens voted. It just doesn't make sense that DC would even hold a vote if they were going to ignore the results.

And I understand why people would dislike the New 52, but it's been almost four years and it's clearly here to stay. Everything there is to say about the New 52 has been said thousands of times already. There is no point whatsoever in saying over and over again how much you hate it, everybody has heard it before, and it's clearly not going to change everything.

Surely even people who don't like the New 52 must get sick of seeing people post "I hate the New 52" "The New 52 sucks" "The New 52 destroyed everything" hundreds of times every day for three and a half years and counting.

I just wish people would give it a rest. DC forums are no longer about DC discussions, it's just people complaining about the same things all the time. It's annoying and completely pointless.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Mercy_

I mean, it's not like Marvel fans don't complain constantly, either? Comic book fans as a majority are a lot that's pretty vocal with their discontent. That's the nature of the internet and of anonymity. But also of people in general, tbh.

Also, there's a difference between needless complaint (although the argument could be made that it's never necessarily needless to voice your displeasure with something) and genuine criticism. There's nothing bad about being a critical consumer of media, and a fan who's critical (within reason) of the media that you consume, and the things that you enjoy can outright be a good thing.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: Linkara said it was rigged but I'm paraphrasing him and he never gave any evidence. I'm not going back to double check, reviewers like him now make me feel unsettled.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

FLAAAAAAAAAAAAMEWAR!

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You never hear anything bad about Image fans......

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you been to the Thor forums recently?