• 52 results
Posted by BeautifulTemptress (250 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: Which of these universes do you like the most? (127 votes)

DCU. 62%
DCnU. 38%

#1 Posted by aquahawk (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both equally. I voted DCnU, though.

#3 Posted by HuntressJustice (36 posts) - - Show Bio

The old version is preferable to me.

#4 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

The old DCU.

#5 Posted by BeautifulTemptress (250 posts) - - Show Bio

The old version is preferable to me.

I support your choice.Old comics more interesting.

#6 Posted by SangriaMuffin (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I pick Earth 2? It has a gay Green Lantern and a Chaotic Good Superman. Sounds pretty awesome.

#7 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6294 posts) - - Show Bio

Old DC by far but New DC is growing on me fast

#8 Posted by raythelion (191 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy both.

#9 Posted by Aronmorales (9645 posts) - - Show Bio

New, 'cuz why not?

#10 Posted by 4_color_image (220 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love the DCU with Wonder Woman in her DCnU design.

#11 Posted by General_Pandemonium (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I prefer the DCAU to both

#12 Posted by jumpstart55 (2279 posts) - - Show Bio

Both.

#13 Posted by lightsout (1833 posts) - - Show Bio

How on earth is it only 61% to 39% right now?

DCU (obviously)

#14 Edited by Thorverine (440 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't worry, I just bumped it to 62%!!!

#15 Posted by SeekerTruth (18 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU is much more interesting than DCnU.

#16 Posted by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

Old DCU for sure, but given how new the DCnU is, it's been very interesting so far and will probably grow to surpass the DCU eventually.

#17 Posted by BlackRaven (40 posts) - - Show Bio

The old version.

#18 Posted by KillerFrost (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course DCU.

#19 Posted by Superwondy (134 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Xwraith (20625 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeff Lemire is writing the best Green Arrow in a long time, but I still prefer the classic DCU.

#21 Posted by sinestro_GL (3287 posts) - - Show Bio

A bit of an unfair comparison, ain't it? 25 years-or-so of continuity versus 2

#22 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2261 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love the DCU with Wonder Woman in her DCnU design.

#23 Posted by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU, just because it has all my favourite characters since they haven't been included in the DCnU. Though, that being said I am uncomfortable with some of the stuff that they did there for example Identity Crisis [which I read and not expecting that rape scene I had a huge panic attack] and the rampant fridging of women and children for plot. [which is funnily enough; still rampant] But anyway. DCU.

#24 Posted by LoisLaneKent (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely DCU.

#25 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

I was going to say DCnU however then I saw my copy of Teen Titans on the desk next to me so I chose DCU.

#26 Posted by SupBatz (1817 posts) - - Show Bio

@tikhunt said:

I was going to say DCnU however then I saw my copy of Teen Titans on the desk next to me so I chose DCU.

Sounds about right.

The DCnU has its redeeming qualities but I just have too many issues with it to ever say that it's preferable to the DCU.

#27 Edited by JetiiMitra (8807 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted DCnU because it made me want to read DC. You know all that stuff about not having to go through issues and issues of backstory and things like that? Yeah, that was pretty much tailor-designed for me, even though I had read pre-New 52 stuff. With New 52, I could jump into anything. Also, because DCnU was losing.

#28 Edited by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

@supbatz said:

@tikhunt said:

Sounds about right.

The DCnU has its redeeming qualities but I just have too many issues with it to ever say that it's preferable to the DCU.

I would actually sing joys and praises for the New 52 if it wasn't for what they did to Tim Drake, The Question, Wally West and a couple of others.

#29 Posted by TDK_1997 (15085 posts) - - Show Bio

The old one of course.

#30 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU

#31 Edited by CloisForever (38 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU.

#32 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not the DCU had over two decades of history over DCnU, its that in the first two years after Crisis-- there was more consistency, more shared continuity and a hopeful vision of characters with clear motivations.

For those who didn't like reading back issues, the Internet was/is your friend. And, all weird, you didn't HAVE to read back issues to get the stories. The writers included these nifty things called flashbacks and informative dialogue. It is like saying we should remove History from school because it is too much info to process.

Ironically, I find it interesting how many people say they came to read DC because of the "fresh start" of new 52 then state they are buying back issues of pre-new 52 to get to know the characters.

Two points emerge.

1. Good writing attracts readers, and most of the "fresh start" was simply retelling already tried and true classic good stories supposedly sweetened with cool twists by current writers.

2. DCnU presents a vague and disjointed universe as edgy and cool allowing writers freedom/rationalizing to create/hack. End result-- readers go back further than new 52 to understand characters they want to like.

It's not the difference in age. It is just the quality of the product. Goggle: New Coke.

#33 Edited by The_Tree (7879 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU.

The New 52 is terrible.

#34 Posted by lightsout (1833 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad it raised since I last posted :p (though surprised I was here 1mo 15 days ago, I thought my leave of absence was longer, lol)

#35 Edited by dbatdog (548 posts) - - Show Bio

The new 52, since in pre-52, I'm mostly a Marvel guy. DC has given me a good jumping point with their comics.

#36 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (6870 posts) - - Show Bio

DCnU

#37 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to admit, I read the old universe for some years, but I was so glad that they started over. They have a chance to cancel stupid stuff that really messed up the universe, like Final Crisis. Also, the argument about the n52 being all edgy is not true at all, and if any of you actually read any of it you would know it. Superman is still superman, just his choices are a little more grounded on reality.

#38 Edited by MariaFirefox (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course DCU.

#39 Posted by ScarletTanager (32 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU.

#40 Posted by youmessinwithme (1199 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU any improvements made were few and far between with the DCnU and there was a whole bunch of crap and confusion added as well as continuity issues.

#41 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12269 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU without a shadow of doubt. DCnU has good things about it, but realistically all these things could have easily been incorporated into the DCU without the need of a reboot. Also, the reboot has had a million things wrong with it too.

@mitran said:

Voted DCnU because it made me want to read DC. You know all that stuff about not having to go through issues and issues of backstory and things like that? Yeah, that was pretty much tailor-designed for me, even though I had read pre-New 52 stuff. With New 52 could jump into anything. Also, because DCnU was losing.

Thats why sites such as comic vine exist. Character wiki's are key.

#42 Edited by JetiiMitra (8807 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU without a shadow of doubt. DCnU has good things about it, but realistically all these things could have easily been incorporated into the DCU without the need of a reboot. Also, the reboot has had a million things wrong with it too.

@mitran said:

Voted DCnU because it made me want to read DC. You know all that stuff about not having to go through issues and issues of backstory and things like that? Yeah, that was pretty much tailor-designed for me, even though I had read pre-New 52 stuff. With New 52 could jump into anything. Also, because DCnU was losing.

Thats why sites such as comic vine exist. Character wiki's are key.

They're also boring, lifeless, and instill no sense to invest in a character. Don't get me wrong, I've read quite a few, but they're just not interesting, and if you see a page like Superman's or Batman's, that have tons and tons and tons of text, it's still really intimidating. Also, they can be unsatisfying when looking to truly understand a character. Summaries and a few pictures just don't cut it.

#43 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1602 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them both. I like the old DCU as that is the one I originally read. I like the DCnU as I realized it's not really a new idea. It's just DC being DC. They do it every 20-25 years. Rebooting the universe that is. They made the timeline from 1938-1956 was Earth 2, 1956-1985 was Earth 1, 1985-2011 was the DCU we know, and the DCnU is just the DCU now. However I don't like some of the character redesigns and new origins though in 1985 they did the same to the DC characters so really it should be suspected.

#44 Edited by JonKent (28 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by kilowog52 (566 posts) - - Show Bio

While it's growing on me simply because it's all we've got, the New 52 majorly effed over a whole bunch of stuff that I liked. Not saying there haven't been some good stories. Aquaman has been real good. However, it probably could have been just as good if they continued the story from Brightest Day instead of doing the whole reboot. So I voted the real DCU

#46 Posted by HawkWoman (12 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by ccj77 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand the new 52 hate. I have read both. And it's easier and cheaper for a "Completist" to get all the books of a series when it's only 20 issues old. I think a reboot is in order every 10 or 15 years to bring on new readers that don't want to get caught up in continuity. Start all over... The only real beef I have is that the old DCU didn't have an ending. I mean flashpoint, but there should have been an event that ended those storylines for good. Give it a complete ending so everyone would stop asking to bring it back. You know, like you find out the heroes never really existed. Or they were all really dead all along and it all ends with Superman laying on his back in the jungle as the last panel zooms in on him closing his eye for the last time.

I understand there was years of continuity where characters had gone through twenty+ years of character growth. But it gets to be too much. It's hard to enjoy a book when I start thinking about how this hero was fighting this same villain 50 years ago and nothing addresses why they haven't aged 50 years. A reboot is so much better than a retcon when it comes to bringing characters current and adapting to reality. I'm big on timelines and all good things needing to come to an end. There's a reason why even good tv shows last 6-8 years and movie franchises start to wear out their welcome after 5 or 6 installments.

#48 Posted by Justthatkid (4655 posts) - - Show Bio

There are things I like about both universes, DCnU Character looks/designs, relationhips I like the SM/WW relationship but then there are so many missing beloved characters of mine in DCnU that it goes to DCU.

#49 Posted by RustyRoy (13555 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU

#50 Posted by Rouflex (19581 posts) - - Show Bio

DCU