Where do you get your comics?

bifronz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm trying to get started into comics and have built up a small collection. However, its getting pricey to try to get sets and its taking too long to really wait for TPB. So I'm wandering, in terms of digital comics, what experience do ya'll have with certain distributors?

I know comixology is big but I dont like they're DRM policies, I've heard mixed things about amazon, and I've heard little to nothing about google play (which is where I'm leaning).

Also I should point out that I am mostly interested in DC comics.

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Dr_Cheesesteak

I think DC has its own direct download service now. ...i THINK.

ImMadNice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YouTube

bifronz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_cheesesteak: not a 100% but I think that is tied into comixology. Its page is identical to their site. But will definitely look into it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Comic shop.

I prefer print. Its simpler and it looks great in a bookcase. An organized bookcase is a beauty :P

gregroyj42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer print as well but will get some trades on the nook, this is much cheaper and looks good but only for DC the marvel stuff on nook isn't user friendly and doesn't look very good in my opinion

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Single issues from the comic book store. Trades off my Nook from Barnes and Noble since it's pretty cheap

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I go to different comic book stores for new issues, back issues, key issues, and TPBs.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comixology

PotatoBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comic book store

Renfro234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i get mine digitally from comixology of dc website but go to comic shop called comic Stan and the tpb trades also multiversity issues grant Morrison genius with that

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

on comixology theyre selling a bunch of $15+ daredevil collections for only $4.99

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't get impatient. Wait for the trades on Amazon. You will save SOOOOOOOOOO much mullah.

bifronz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bifronz

@renfro234: @rpgesus: How are your experiences with comixology? Seems like its pretty popular despite all the negative word I've heard about it.

@silverpool said:

Don't get impatient. Wait for the trades on Amazon. You will save SOOOOOOOOOO much mullah.

Haha. Thats always the plan. my only problem with that (right now anyways) is that There are series I want to get into that aren't getting a trade for a few months and the singles (atleats the #1's) prices have shot way up.

@mrtummytumms said:

Single issues from the comic book store. Trades off my Nook from Barnes and Noble since it's pretty cheap

How is the nook app for reading them, particularly on a phone?

Also thanks for all of the replies.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bifronz: i don't see why anyone would hate on comixology... Easy to navigate, guided views, a lot... i mean A LOT of sales, easy and portable, can download on any device with an account and you can switch from different devices and they will start you off on whatever page you ended on. Convenient no travelling to the store and you can get things first day. And some free comics. Only downside is you obviously don't get the hard copy which kinda sucks but i can live with it

Renfro234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Renfro234

@bifronz: it's ok website though i do prefer go to dc main website to get comics but that was before i knew i could do comics off there website but now i mostly wait for paper back trades more expensiveness but worth it

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bifronz: it's actually pretty good on the phone. It has a system where it moves panel to panel for you if you tap your phone. I highly suggest it. I will say that if you do plan on getting a nook, get the nook that has been partnered with Samsung. That way you can download the comixology app and have all your comics in one place instead of having to go from your B&N account to the other. Hope that makes sense.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Amazon

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pirates Bay...:P

No seriously Comixology. I haven't bought a print in a while.

ManofBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ManofBatz

I buy a mix of digital comics and print comics. Comixology is by far the best application for reading digitally. Amazon has their own digital comics via their kindle app, but it is pretty awful. With the Amazon app you can't pinch to zoom and you can't flip the book in anyway. I would avoid Amazon unless their is a significant price difference between them and comixology (They have some of the new 52 vol 1s for like 3 bucks).

I still recommend you buy a few monthlies from your brick and mortar store. Just to support them. Also I feel like digital, because of the difference between print and digital resolutions, just does not do some artists justice. Jim Lee's stuff just looks so much better in print IMO.

@rpgesus you can actually get some comics earlier than print. I think comixology updates their website at 3AM on Wednesday. I like to stay up late and wait for my books.

bifronz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm well thanks to all of you I actually put some money into comixology to try it out. And it IS great. After using it and looking at some of the reviews and ratings most of the negative seems to have been dealt fixed or the person just didn't know that it could be done another way.

This is really gonna make my comic shopping easier since my nearest comic shop is ~1hr away (on a good day). Though will still try to get physicals of the crossovers and more interesting looking comics.