Posted by Dud317 (314 posts) 1 year, 8 months ago

Poll: What is your origin to comics? (58 votes)

Since I was a kid. I'm a professional here... 19%
I read as a kid, left for a while, but now I'm back. 48%
They had comics when I was younger? What have I been doing with my life? 33%

It occurred to me how much I follow comic news and look forward to wednesdays, so I got to thinking about my own origin as well as others. How did you get into comics? Was there a specific book or moment that made you fall in love with three-color mythology? Did you leave and come back like me? Mine is as follows.

As a child, I primarly read Marvel, yet always Batman. I was barely old enough for the first Burton movie, but it was at the time the coolest demonstration I've seen yet. But then I got caught up in school, sports, and puberty. Fast forward about 20 years to around the time of Final Crisis. I saw the cover of Superman, holding what appeared to be Batman, dead! I couldn't believe my eyes. I HAD to know more. Now, I've read the classics, but I went on a serious bender here. Over the course of a year, I read everything, starting with COIE, moving chronologically to the weekly books, which was during Brightest Day at this point. This included every relevant tie-in, not just to Batman, but to any major story line. I travel for a living, so I was able to raid the bargain books of nearly every brick and mortar across the US and Canada. In roughly 12 months time, I read approximately 20 years of DC continuity. I also read more than just DC, but the point is, my personal reboot has been a huge success, and I haven't looked back.

What's your story???

#1 Posted by Xwraith (27120 posts) - - Show Bio

I first got into comics around the time X2 came out, but I lost interest about a year later.

Fast forward to 2010, and the combination of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and a friend who liked Deadpool get me back into the comic world.

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (48784 posts) - - Show Bio

I got into comics after watching the Avengers movie and the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. Iron Man 1 also helped spark my interest of comics.

#3 Posted by ChiSoxRox (240 posts) - - Show Bio

A news story on Batwoman's engagement to Maggie Sawyer off Huffington Post.

I found the engagement issue, loved the art, archived binged on the series over the next couple months, and have been getting the new issues ever since.

#4 Posted by PeppeyHare (4328 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Earth's mightiest heroes was such a fantastic show. I miss it ;.;

#5 Posted by tec79 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Late 80's spinner rack at a local grocery store and access to a LCS made and has kept comics available to me my entire life.

#6 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (2171 posts) - - Show Bio

was stuck in the hospital for months dad got me Marvel digital unlimited subscription to help me pass the time ever since then been fan of reading comic my dad also got me some dc trades

#7 Edited by Fallschirmjager (19984 posts) - - Show Bio

I turned 18. I got a job. I found myself with money. I found myself browsing the internet for stuff to buy. I bought some comic books. I enjoyed them. I bought more. And more. And more. And more. And more. And more.

#8 Posted by batmannflash (6272 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched the DCAU cartoons as a kid. But it wasn't until 10 years later when I started to get interested in comics. I watched the TDK trilogy, and Marvel movies, which sparked my interest in comics. After re-watching the DCAU cartoons and reading The Killing Joke, I was hooked in

#9 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4672 posts) - - Show Bio

A guy gave me a Marvel Comics book and a Dc Comics book when I was a kid. The ironic part was that they were both Captain Marvel title. One being Mar-Vell of Marvel Comics and the other Dc Comics Billy Batson aka Shazam! I've enjoyed them since for the most part.

#10 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (5096 posts) - - Show Bio

I watch the old 90's batman and x-men cartoon when i was 12 but then didnt get into somics until 2002 or 2001...... cyclops was presumed dead at the time which made me mad. THen he came back and then jean dead, so i stop getting comics until 2010.

then i had to catch up on the past 8-ish years starting with house of m and was interested in hope but now shes just boring in avx, shes more awesome in cable and the x-force....now teen jean is back so i happy and the o5 will stay for another year. i was going to quit comics but i guess i could buy it for another year

Guardieans of the Galaxy isnt so bad now that they have Angela and Ironman(its good they have tony because they need a genius on the team)

#11 Posted by Dm225 (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Been reading graphic novels since I was a kid, never actually owned any just rented them from the library and read them in book stores. Always wanted to start collecting but the high issue numbers were a bit daunting so I unfortunately stayed away from it. Started collecting with my wife and twin brother with the release of the New 52 and Marvel Now and have been obsessed ever since.

#12 Posted by MaccyD (6394 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Fallschirmjager (19984 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: its what I get after I give out HJs and BJs.

#14 Edited by Extremis (3581 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't start reading comic books until my later years in college. The resurgence of superheroes, especially in films, is what really drew me in. Seeing it being taken seriously I guess made me feel it wasn't silly to check them out. I knew most of the key ones growing up, loved Batman, X-Men and Spiderman as a kid and used to watch those animated series in the 90s. I never even thought about reading comics though at that age. I guess I was afraid that it made me look like a loser or something.

I wish I had someone to positively represent comic reading when I was younger. Nowadays its no big thing to read comics. Being a nerd has even become cool. Who would have thought? But when I was a kid there was always pressures to be "cool" and comic books weren't seen that way and no one encouraged me to read them.

Seeing how many people on here who are my age and read comics at a young age its ironic because they were essentially my peers and I didn't even know kids my age read comics. It's probably because they didn't broadcast it so much lol. As I said, being a nerd wasn't always accepted or cool.

#15 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (4544 posts) - - Show Bio

I read comics as a kid as my grandfather was a collector and I collected until I was about 12 -13. My favorite heroes being Wolverine, Spiderman and Punisher at the time. I eventually stopped collecting comics because the 'cool kids' didn't. I know it was for a stupid reason. I got rid of all my comics after I started hanging out with the cool gangster kids (yea I had a gangster phase). When I was about 20 (I'm 24 now) I picked up Old Man Logan and that was the book that got me to start collecting again. It took some time to catch up to the events that went down in the Marvel and DC universes. I just recently started collecting outside the big two. Now I collect without shame and read wherever I want because I no longer care for the negative opinion of others lest they be a close friend or family member.

#16 Posted by Catsnlynne (1175 posts) - - Show Bio

I picked They had comics when I was younger? What have I been doing with my life? The first time I every stepped into a comic books store and bought some comic books was FCBD 2012, and I have loved it every since.

#17 Posted by gor724 (880 posts) - - Show Bio

I was bored one day so I downloaded comixology. I have always been interested in the movies and cartoons. Bought some graphic novels, watched a few videos on how to get into comics, and here I am about a year later as a full blown geek.

#18 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

My grandpa always had them growing up (Fantastic Four, Batman, Superman). When I was 5 he gave me a Batman and Superman comic when cleaning out his comic box. When I was 9 I started making my own homemade comics which sparked interest in collecting. When I was 12 I thought comics were for geeks. When I was 14 (now) I realized I don't care what people think of me so I got back into comics and am currently getting ready for the launch of my first indie comic.

When I Started Reading: Batman, Detective Comics, BTAS, Captain Marvel, Harley Quinn

What I have been reading since I've gotten back into comics: Batman, Nightwing, The Flash, Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Superman, Suicide Squad, Human Bomb, Captain Marvel, Fantastic Four, Detective Comics, Batman: The Dark Knight, Batman and Robin, Superman Unchained, Aquaman, Teen Titans, Justice League, Justice League of America, Justice League Dark, Doom Patrol, Metal Men, Dr. Mid Nite, the Atom, Martian Manhunter, Mr. America, Young Justice, Red Tornado, Harley Quinn, Impulse, Batman Beyond, Metamorpho, Green Lantern, Star Trek

So basically I left comics, came back, and became a mega comic nerd! Hahaha!

#19 Posted by _Braveheart_ (2417 posts) - - Show Bio

I started reading comic books while I was in high school. I began started off with G.I. Joe comics and moved on to Captain America. After Captain America, I read several others and that's how I got into the world of comics.

#20 Posted by AllStarSuperman (28306 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm225 said:

Been reading graphic novels since I was a kid, never actually owned any just rented them from the library and read them in book stores. Always wanted to start collecting but the high issue numbers were a bit daunting so I unfortunately stayed away from it. Started collecting with my wife and twin brother with the release of the New 52 and Marvel Now and have been obsessed ever since.

this, I would read trades from the library, but the new 52 got me going monthly.

#21 Posted by _Marc_74 (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

I didn't start reading comic books until my later years in college. The resurgence of superheroes, especially in films, is what really drew me in. Seeing it being taken seriously I guess made me feel it wasn't silly to check them out. I knew most of the key ones growing up, loved Batman, X-Men and Spiderman as a kid and used to watch those animated series in the 90s. I never even thought about reading comics though at that age. I guess I was afraid that it made me look like a loser or something.

I wish I had someone to positively represent comic reading when I was younger. Nowadays its no big thing to read comics. Being a nerd has even become cool. Who would have thought? But when I was a kid there was always pressures to be "cool" and comic books weren't seen that way and no one encouraged me to read them.

Seeing how many people on here who are my age and read comics at a young age its ironic because they were essentially my peers and I didn't even know kids my age read comics. It's probably because they didn't broadcast it so much lol. As I said, being a nerd wasn't always accepted or cool.

much the same, im now 39 and only been reading and collecting fro 2 years, mainly batmans and now many Image stuff

when i was a kid the comics weren't as good and still od skool type. and of course it was not cool to read such things. also never see any shop in London suburbs.

as i grew i knew i had some interest and liked the cartoons of the 90's etc, xmen and batman etc but was a wild teenage drinker, living life type

a few years ago in florida i checked out a a book store and looked many batman graphic novels. i was very tempted to get one for the plane home. the gf at the time was not impressed and showed some still look down there nose at. that and she was obviously just a controlling bitch anyway.

anyway i kicked her to the curb and moved on. found London's forbidden planet and got a couple of batman graphic novels.

still unsure of comics due to finding the right jumping in point.

but the new 52 arrived, so i jumped on board for the all the batmans. soon realized that way too many variations to buy so sold off and just now collect Batman

I have now married the best girl ever and the question came up to as to what was in the envelopes when i 1st moved in. advised my comics. she just thinks its sweet and not bad at all. it is also my thing for some time on myself that we all need in a relationship. sit and read and chill out

I have enjoyed so far and didnt find any marvel i wanted to jump into so stuck to batman and image stuff

so now my snatch list has become

East of West

Wake

Batman

Batman B&W

Ten Grand

Lazarus

my batman GN's are becoming vast, I have most the mains ones

Saga gn

and now grabbing some of the older stuff like AVP

as you can see, i have embraced my inner geek. oh well life begins and all that

:)

#22 Posted by Extremis (3581 posts) - - Show Bio

@_marc_74: yeah man I hear ya.

It's funny how life can sometimes feel like it's just beginning when you find interests you know you should've had all along.

#23 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1546 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was a younger child I would get home from Pre-School and watch the X-Men Cartoon and in the later hours watch the Spider-Man animated series. The I moved and began spending alot of time in my school library and read almost every single Batman/Superman story at least twice. I watched the Spectacular Spider-Man loved it but then I entered High School and I found myself in a social dilemma. But I decided to give up everything for comics because they had been with me for a major part of my life and I was not going to lose them. So I began reading again, and now collecting. It is super awesome. Hush was my first however and now I FINALLY HAVE the collected edition.

#24 Posted by Al_capOWN (631 posts) - - Show Bio

I just got into comics this year. At 27, mostly reading DC New 52 stuff, some Image series, but mostly collecting and buying older stuff from the silver/broze age, moving up to gold age key comics.

#25 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1379 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm 30 and have been reading comics as much as I could from early childhood. Problem was for most of my life it was pot luck finding somewhere that sold them. Usually it would be a random newsagents that happened to have a Superman comic.

In terms of what started it? Not sure. I've always loved art and drawing and I think this was a heavy you factor in attracting me to the medium. I beleive it was the Superman movie that made me fall in love with the character and superheros in general. But honestly I couldn't say for sure since its been a part of what makes me "me" for so long I don't know where the obsession started.

Over the years they've been more readily available but I either didn't have the cash flow or my now ex wouldn't let me get them basically. Thanks to various circumstances I used the N52 to start actually reading them regularly however I find I need to get them digitally more often than not, and ha enter had the chance to buy physical copies as much as I would have liked.

#26 Posted by frangipan (138 posts) - - Show Bio

@dud317 I saw watchmen on my moms shelf, devoured it in about a day and from then on I made it my mission to get a all round knowledge of DC comics. A mission I am still undertaking as I only got into comics a few months ago:)

#27 Posted by waezi2 (11677 posts) - - Show Bio

I was bitten by a radioactive Stan Lee.

Alright, for real now: I read cmics since the day I was born, my mother is a comicfan herself. We prefer different kinds of comics, but we bout LOVE the Phantom.

@frangipan:

#28 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (7817 posts) - - Show Bio

As a kid I loved spiderman since the first film. so in 5h grade I read a lot of him. Then DK came out and i fell in love with DC. Started reading then stopped my 8th grade year cause i was always in trouvle at school. Then my sophmore year i started again with New 52.

#29 Posted by Dolces (12 posts) - - Show Bio

When i was a kid i read comics here and there and i loved GL the most. Kinda went off track and did other things eventually and wanted to go back. But, my family and i moved at one point and while we did it someone broke into our house and stole a lot of our stuff ( my comics). When they got caught instead of returning it they decided to burn the evidence. :/

#30 Posted by The_Red_Viper (5385 posts) - - Show Bio

August 12th, 2012, my 17th birthday. A couple friends grabbed "Batman: Hush" for me in the local comic book store. I have never read comics before. I read it, and really enjoyed it. Couple months later I decided I should try some more. Went to my local comic book store and grabbed "Justice League vol 1: Origin". Now I have... 30 TPBs (I can list them if you really want). Well, 29 TPBs and one HC (Which is "Batman: The Killing Joke", since they don't make it oin TPB anymore. I normally hate HC). As well as a nice pile of issues. I have... 30-40 issues I think? I also read some stuff that friends (and my cousin) lent me. I am currently subscribed to 4 runs (Constantine, Mighty Avengers, Forever Evil and Arkham War. Maybe I'll add in Superman/Wonder Woman, the first issue was cool).

#31 Edited by NoBody134 (307 posts) - - Show Bio

I was reading comic books ever since i was 5, my first one was about aquaman.

#32 Posted by War Killer (20944 posts) - - Show Bio

The first comic book I got was a reprint of Captain America #109 that came with an old Marvel Legends toy, that was when I was about seven or eight. But I didn't start reading comics on a monthly bases until my early teen years.

#34 Posted by Eric8a92 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched all the animated series in the 90's based off comic book characters. But it wasn't until 5th grade, that a good friend of mine started taking comic books to school. He would have me and other fellow students read them. He then gave me a flyer to a comic book convention which was where he got all his books. I decided to pay this convention a visit, and pretty soon started finding myself buying comic books. I was only ten at the time, and went by the cover art regarding what I bought. I went all out with characters I only knew, but mainly stuck with Marvel (predominantly X-Men), and a few Spawn comics. This was over ten years ago, and it seems that that particular convention went on a weekly basis. Now, it's pretty irregular. The last one was in August. But back then, I would drag my dad each time it was held. I think in 7th grade I stopped. I don't want to say that I stopped because of puberty and thought heroes weren't cool anymore, it was probably a money thing.

Not again until tenth grade I believe did I start again. Like my elementary school friend, I would loan comics to classmates to read. But this was shortlived.

It wasn't til last year when Astonishing X-men #51 was released that I got back into collecting. When I went into the comic shop to buy this issue, I saw Avengers vs X-Men #1 and bought it, and followed it through. At the same time, Daredevil: End of Days was out, and Daredevil being my favorite Marvel hero, I picked that title up as well. Bit by bit I picked up more and more titles, and found myself collecting comics again in a more organized manner.

It's been over a year, and I love going every week to pick up my new books. However, I am not at the point where I invest my money in rare comics yet.

#35 Posted by Alak (994 posts) - - Show Bio

I read a few comics as a kid, mostly kid-friendly ones like a Spider-man digest or something of the sort. Cartoons quickly took over as my main source of superhero fun, then I returned to comics as an adult.

#36 Posted by sinestro_GL (3568 posts) - - Show Bio

Been reading comics forever!

However, I'm not just talking DC/Marvel...as a kid I used to read a lot of the kiddie stuff, like Astérix, Tin Tin, Garfield, etc.

#37 Posted by comicbookfan93 (478 posts) - - Show Bio

Started by watching Batman:TAS when I was young and then started reading comics in my teens

#38 Edited by uglyrobot (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Mine was reading Beano and Dandy as a 6 year old, my first "proper" comic was 1990, I was 12, Punisher circle of blood with the Robocop story in the middle (soon to become NAM), Frank is my favourite now because of then and the MAX series. Now i read everything on my tablet, I have a 500gb hard drive three quarters full of comics and nothing else :)

#39 Posted by TazzMission (5766 posts) - - Show Bio

i never read comics as a kid but i did grow up on the old cartoons like batman the animated series plus jla. after mk vs dcu was announced i saw the image of hal jordan in costume and that right there is really got me into reading the charachter. now a days when marvel does a film that peaks my interest i will go drop money on that book or series ( captain america winter soilder and guardians of the galaxy) im 28 years old and yes i admit im still a noob but if i see something i like i will take a chance and drop money on it and get an idea of what that world is about. i wish dc would do that for superman green arrow and wonder woman

#40 Posted by Bigbadwolfx0 (440 posts) - - Show Bio

My dad had some from when he was kid that found as a child yellow daredevil, darkhawk,green lantern,superman and batman

#41 Edited by sagejonathan (2251 posts) - - Show Bio

I started 2 years ago. I watched a bunch of Marvel movies and Batman & Justice League cartoons, so when my mom was at a Barnes & Noble I asked her to bring me some comics. I still thought that comics were like newspaper comic strips so when she handed me my first comics which were: The Mighty Thor 4 & 5, Wolverine vs Marvel Universe 2 & 4, and an issue of Scooby Doo, I was very pleasantly surprised. I picked up all the issues I was missing of Thor, and picked some stuff up from the New 52, and thus I became a comic book nerd.

#42 Posted by Bigbadwolfx0 (440 posts) - - Show Bio

The original comics were fables and bill willingham made fables comic series which is one of the best standing series its ending at 150 soon its had many extras and spinoffs I have been a big bad wolf fan my whole live and never gave the comic a chance because I thought it would ruin him I am glad I was wrong lol hey they even made a game now

#43 Posted by SaintWildcard (15683 posts) - - Show Bio

When Kick Ass came out I started to get into comics. Bought a few volumes and the first ongoing series I got was Kick Ass 2. I started buying more when the new 52 came along. Been 95% DC ever since. Tried a few Marvel Now titles but I was so bored that I didnt even read the ones that came in one month and dropped it the next.

#44 Posted by Juke (807 posts) - - Show Bio

I was bored.

Walked into the mall's comic store.

Bought comics, read them, loved them. Rinse and repeat, minus the "bored" part.

#45 Edited by ViperKing (424 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember when Justice League: Unlimited was on. Then, I watched it as child and became occupied with the show. I began looking up information on the characters, especially the thousands of characters, with only cameos in the show. I began becoming interested in comics and researching characters, knowing all about them. Unfortunately, I had only read one comic title, Crisis on Infinite Earths. I knew little about comics back then so I was quite confused, especially by Psycho Pirate. During one summer, I went into Barnes and Nobles and read the comics I knew so much about including Blackest Night, Flashpoint, etc.

#46 Edited by MarlboroMan (2141 posts) - - Show Bio

I started with 90's Spiderman and X-men TV shows i just wanted to learn more after them..

#47 Edited by CuddleBear (1397 posts) - - Show Bio

grant morrison aka too much too soon.

#48 Posted by nobodyisemo (418 posts) - - Show Bio

I went to the library and got The Long Halloween, I thought Tim Sale's art was kind of stupid. Next week, I went back and got The Black Mirror and loved it.