Thoughts on Godhead?

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MiniSaladFresh

How are people feeling about the Godhead event currently crossing over all of the Lantern books?

I've only read the first two parts, but I'm digging it so far. The only real problem I have with it is that it's forcing me to buy the Green Lantern/New Gods crossover (although it was only a one shot), Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, and Green Lantern: New Guardians when normally I'd only be buying Green Lantern.

But yeah, seems pretty good so far, what do you guys think?

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Boynerdgeek

So far so good. As we all know DC don't have many cosmic frachise compare to Marvel. The only probably biggest cosmic franchise in DC is GL and New Gods.

DC mainly have great magic related stuff but in terms of cosmic related they're lacking

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: thought sinestro and red lanterns were in it too?

I love it so far. A lot better Than I thought it would be

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mogo1 said:

thought sinestro and red lanterns were in it too?

god damn it... my poor, poor wallet...

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: it's also a three act event with one month being an act. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a prologue too

Sorry bud

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mogo1: yeah I figured it would be a three act thing, I'm just glad it's come after the Future's End one-shots; I only bought two of them so I spent almost no money on comics for that month, just kind of a bummer I'm being forced to buy so many different series for this one story. Still, I'll get the whole of Act 1 and see how I feel about continuing with it after that. And hey, at least Larfleeze has been cancelled so I don't have to buy that too.

Gotta say, I'm kinda liking it so far... get the feeling we're building up to an epic battle between the seven Corps (and a White Lantern) and the New Gods, which would be pretty awesome. Still only read the first two parts, although I did buy part 4 today with part 3 in the mail as we speak, so I'll make sure to share my thoughts after Act 1 finishes. Hopes are high for this.

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minisaladfresh: the glass is half full!

Everything is already on my pull list so it's all a bonus for me. But if it wasn't I don't know if I would get it. It's something like 18 issues. But I love weekly stories in gl because it feels like I'm getting more story with all 5 books

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mogo1: Yeah I guess it is kind of a treat to those who already read all of the Lantern books; honestly I think it would be more of a shame if there were no stories like this, a big crossover with a new issue every week. Also the Lantern crossovers are particularly special to me, since they show off how big the GL universe is even without the rest of DC's heroes. And like I said, I am enjoying it so far, I'm just being a bit grumpy about the fact that it's costing me more money than usual :P

magicman411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is godhead new reader friendly? I haven't read much of any of the green lantern books but i'm a fan of dc events.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magicman411: Pretty much - I'm way behind on GL and have never read any of the other Lantern series (except Red Lanterns, which I read the first trade of) but I'm following it pretty well. The important information is all explained in the Godhead issues themselves so there's not too much to worry about there.

I'd say the only real knowledge you need is the basics of the different Corps. and who their leaders are etc. so basically if you've ever read Green Lantern before you'll be fine, even if you haven't read it for a few years. If you haven't read any Green Lantern before you should probably just research what the different Corps. are about and just basic stuff like that, I'm sure somebody here on Comic Vine will be able to give you the lowdown on all that pretty easily. But yeah the story of Godhead will still make sense to you even if you don't know all that much about Green Lantern.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By JuliusTakalua

Thoughts on the Red Lantern 35?

I say the Lanterns get their arses handed...again

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sinestro_GL

All issues, except for Red Lanterns, have been great, with the first two issues being particularly pleasing

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: Just bought Red Lanterns today, haven't read it yet. You didn't like it?

Gotta say, I wasn't too impressed by the Green Lantern Corps. issue, although maybe that's because I haven't been reading GLC, would I have enjoyed it more if I'd been reading it?

That said, I did really like the New Guardians issue and I haven't been reading that either.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Lanterns are really getting short changed in these fights. Even fodder new gods are running through them....

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freaking awesome!!!

magicman411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i actually liked the red lantern issue. i prefer it over the green lantern corps

Avatar image for randolphdefreese1
randolphdefreese1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the New Gods are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to powerful in this series.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Comicuser

i love how powerful the new gods are in new 52.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@randolphdefreese1: The New Gods are way above the lanterns on the cosmic hierarchy. I'd be more worried if they weren't powerful.

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started out amazing now it's OK. Still excited to see where it goes though

Find it weird that Kyle went with the new gods then they don't show anything on Genesis for the next three issues.

Is it me or are the lanterns all becoming pushover?

Come on Mogo, pull through!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...and part of the problem is how DC has treated their 4th World property throughout the years.

I understand how many readers are concerned with the various lantern corps incapable of putting up a fight against the New Gods, but come on, this is how it should be. They are GODS. Orion is prophecised to defeat Darkseid - not the mighty Superman. Also, let's remember that Darkseid's forces have successfully fended off the GLC before.

If DC had given their 4th World characters and titles more attention throughout the years, instead of neglecting it, there would be a larger appreciation for their capabilities, instead of uproar and complaints that they are too powerful

randolphdefreese1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: they arent gods.no one worships them,they havent created anything.they are basically humans,due to them be created by the source wall,have the powers they have.it is writer inconsistency,Orion in the Wonder Woman book cant get out of his own way,but in these few issues he can move and punch Hal before he even has a chance to react.in most rendition of Fourth World characters they are on par with the mightiest hero's on earth not so way above.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: they arent gods.no one worships them,they havent created anything.they are basically humans,due to them be created by the source wall,have the powers they have.it is writer inconsistency,Orion in the Wonder Woman book cant get out of his own way,but in these few issues he can move and punch Hal before he even has a chance to react.in most rendition of Fourth World characters they are on par with the mightiest hero's on earth not so way above.

Your response is an example that adequately illustrates my point. You're obviously unfamiliar with the New Gods literature beyond the new 52. There is plenty of evidence in the comics from Kirby's New Gods saga, Simonson's run on Orion, Byrne's Fourth World title, and plenty more, to rebut against each of your points.

Really, that's DC's fault, as I said. However, you should also have held your tongue as opposed to posting.

randolphdefreese1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: @sinestro_gl: they arent gods.no one worships them,they havent created anything.they are basically humans,due to them be created by the source wall,have the powers they have.it is writer inconsistency,Orion in the Wonder Woman book cant get out of his own way,but in these few issues he can move and punch Hal before he even has a chance to react.in most rendition of Fourth World characters they are on par with the mightiest hero's on earth not so way above.

no i have read every issue of New Gods since the 70's,i know what i am talking about.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It has been pretty average so far. Engaging it is but there are some slight problems that put me off just too much. It seems like the strongest Corps of all, the Green one, seems to be the weakest in this event and gets manhandled every two minutes by some of the New Gods. I know that most Green Lanterns aren't good as Hal but they should try to be more creative and not go down like pawns.

The strongest part so far of the whole event was the Sinestro part, which actually is my favorite Lantern related book at the moment.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mysoulz

@minisaladfresh said:

@sinestro_gl: Just bought Red Lanterns today, haven't read it yet. You didn't like it?

Gotta say, I wasn't too impressed by the Green Lantern Corps. issue, although maybe that's because I haven't been reading GLC, would I have enjoyed it more if I'd been reading it?

That said, I did really like the New Guardians issue and I haven't been reading that either.

Well in my opinion, Van Jensen is a better writer than what Robert Venditti is currently doing in GL. You'll get to explore more characters in GLC. And seeing Sodam Yat finally made an appearance (which he should also be in Godhead event) is always a treat for me. It's all personal tastes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

read the first two issues and it didnt catch my attention. also collecting that many single issues is a major turn off.

didnt really care for the NG power levels or overall attitudes.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Probably the best cosmic event this year imo since alot of GOTG event this year is average

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick question: Does Godhead end with Sinestro #8 or is there going to be a closing one-shot issue like the one that started it?

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just as it is the best book in the green lantern line thanks to bunn, sinestro is the best part of godhead thus far. the event itself is good, hal is starting to feel like hal, the uneasy alliance between the the lantern corps has made for great dialogue. the new gods are intimidating.

haven't felt this good about a lantern event since johns was at the helm

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sinestro_GL

Quick question: Does Godhead end with Sinestro #8 or is there going to be a closing one-shot issue like the one that started it?

As with Lights Out, it will conclude in the GL Annual, on sale on Dec. 24th.

just as it is the best book in the green lantern line thanks to bunn, sinestro is the best part of godhead thus far. the event itself is good, hal is starting to feel like hal, the uneasy alliance between the the lantern corps has made for great dialogue. the new gods are intimidating.

haven't felt this good about a lantern event since johns was at the helm

I'm going to read my GL 38 later today, but I agree with you in saying that the Sinestro title has been of the best in terms of its overall quality.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wow. I may have to go back and read this.