The most important character of DC Comics is...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RDClip

Well considering that Superman was the very first proper superhero and was the most popular DC character until the 70's and Batman is DC's (and probably in general) the most popular superhero of the last 40 years, the author of this article is just plain objectively wrong. Not to mention both Bats and Supes were the first 2 chsuperheroes to get big budget Hollywood movies.

No Superman = no superheroes and/or no DC comics

No Batman = no modern DC comics

Sure, Flash is very important to comic history. However, to call him the most important (or even in the top 5) superhero is pretty misguided.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

Well considering that Superman was the very first proper superhero and was the most popular DC character until the 70's and Batman is DC's (and probably in general) the most popular superhero of the last 40 years, the author of this article is just plain objectively wrong. Not to mention both Bats and Supes were the first 2 chsuperheroes to get big budget Hollywood movies.

Sure, Flash is very important to comic history. However, to call him the most important (or even in the top 5) superhero is pretty misguided.

BUT! The Flash TV show is pretty darn good.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other than Batman and Superman, Wonder Woman

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 SC  Moderator

Its a contextual claim, as opposed to a black and white absolute claim. I think they put forward a pretty strong argument, even if its not the conclusion I would draw, but… then again I am not the person writing that article for… Yahoo Finance, so the title and presentation is probably intended to be click-bait to draw interest, positive, negative, neutral.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rdclip said:

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

The Flash is only important within the sense of being a catalyst for multiversal/continuity changes within the DC Universe itself. And whilst that's fair enough for stories that take place in DC's history, it doesn't apply so much outside of the stories where Flash is overshadowed by The Trinity and Green Lantern mostly.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kfabz-23

Timeline

Superman since he started DC Comics. A world where Superman didn't exist a lot if not all your favourite superheroes wouldn't exist.

Batman when The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 & 2 came out he changed comic books forever.

Then Batman kept his dominance in modern DC as the face with The Dark Knight trilogy, Arkham and Lego games.

Now I think they are trying to make it Superman again, with Man Of Steel starting the DCCU and in the comics they're trying to find a new way to bring the interest back to Superman. With the flare power, Superman Unchained etc.

Batman v Superman will basically be the answer to this question. But for now I think Batman is just holding on to the title.

So Batman is the answer.

amathur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By amathur

According to me Batman & Superman, both are the most popular heroes of DC comics.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman was the most influential

Batman is the most important

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Barry Allen brought about the Silver Age of comics, he introduced the idea of the Multiverse in Flash of Two Worlds, he helped end Pre Crisis and create Post Crisis, he then ended that by creating a whole new reality, which he then ended and started the New 52 with Pandora.

To say Flash is the most important character in comics is a very apt statement.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ScouterV

@kfabz-23 said:

Timeline

Superman since he started DC Comics. A world where Superman didn't exist a lot if not all your favourite superheroes wouldn't exist.

Batman when The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 & 2 came out he changed comic books forever.

Then Batman kept his dominance in modern DC as the face with The Dark Knight trilogy, Arkham and Lego games.

Now I think they are trying to make it Superman again, with Man Of Steel starting the DCCU and in the comics they're trying to find a new way to bring the interest back to Superman. With the flare power, Superman Unchained etc.

Batman v Superman will basically be the answer to this question. But for now I think Batman is just holding on to the title.

So Batman is the answer.

To be fair though, before Batman was changing things, it was The Flash who brought us the Silver Age.

@rdclip said:

Who would you say are the top five?

I'd say hes one of the most important, but not the big guy.

That honor belongs to Lord Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

in what way?

the answer, no matter the criteria, lies in the trinity definitely

Batman is definitely the character that gets more of anything than any hero of any company

Superman is the quintessential superhero and the first

Wonder woman is the connection to mythology and the quintessential heroine and the best fighter

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Flash? It's posible. But Batman is the most iconic character of Dc Comics.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

1. Superman for being the first proper superhero
  2. Batman for being the most popular superhero of the modern era
  3. Spider-Man for being Marvel's most popular superhero
  4. Wonder Woman for being the most iconic female superhero
  5. Fantastic Four for getting Marvel back into superhero books and the reason Stan Lee stayed
ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

@scouterv:

1. Superman for being the first proper superhero
  2. Batman for being the most popular superhero of the modern era
  3. Spider-Man for being Marvel's most popular superhero
  4. Wonder Woman for being the most iconic female superhero
  5. Fantastic Four for getting Marvel back into superhero books and the reason Stan Lee stayed

I don't really think it's fair to split it up between the companies though.

Superman is the original.

Batman and Spider-Man are like neck and neck for most popular as of now.

Wonder Woman is the most iconic female.

Flash brought us into the Silver Age.

Robin is the original sidekick.

At least that's how I see it, and being quite honest, I would say Spider-Man is probably more popular than Batman, but that's just me, but Batman would still be more important as he brought us into the Dark Age of Comics.