starting to read DC comics

acekalama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hi everyone, ive only read marvel so far and i want to try to read dc as well. so right now dc's mainstream reality is now called 52 right? it's where they relaunched the series right? but i'm confused as where to start, i mean i looked at dc wikia to find out more about the series, but how come batman has 4 titles (batman, batman and robin, detective comics, and batman: the dark knight)? what's the difference between them? and where should i start? pre 52 or 52?

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start new 52 because it's less stress digging through pre 52 archives. With the batman books, start with his solo then you can gradually move into the others like eternal and detective comics. If your looking for a change, check out flash, aquaman and maybe green lantern. For team books, start with the main JL title then go into stuff like JLI or JLU or JLD if you feel like trying something new, basically just explore. But if you want consistency, then check out (johns, maybe Snyder). If you want an event, refer to any both pre and new 52.

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should definitely read Batmanand Justice League - all in the New 52. They're both absolute must-reads. And the New 52 is the best point to hop in to DC Comics, starting from the first volumes.

Others that I'd recommend are Nightwing, Aquaman, Green Arrow (volumes 4 to 6), and Batman & Robin.

You can do your own exploring of the New 52 books, seeing as every title is collected in their own volumes, but the above is what I'd recommend. Hope that helped.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

it's the "New" 52, and DC recently stopped putting that on the cover, if anything it's going by DC You

Green Arrow is good right now starting with #41, but it was good since #17 (you can just get graphic novels)

right now you can pick up anything new from issue 41 on, or their new #1's, there are a few with different numbers but I don't know them all

tbrand32300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@acekalama: I would recommend reading pre-New 52 series, but if you want to read ongoing titles, you have to do the New 52 titles. What you want to read depends on the kind of things you like and the era you like. Check out if any of the Marvel writers you like have written DC books, and go from their.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Flash

Aquaman

Justice League.

Batman

Detective Comics

Superman

Green Arrow is fun too.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jb681131

hi everyone, ive only read marvel so far and i want to try to read dc as well. so right now dc's mainstream reality is now called 52 right? it's where they relaunched the series right? but i'm confused as where to start, i mean i looked at dc wikia to find out more about the series, but how come batman has 4 titles (batman, batman and robin, detective comics, and batman: the dark knight)? what's the difference between them? and where should i start? pre 52 or 52?

The New52 is indeed a relaunch of DC comics since 2001 after the Flashpoint arc with 52 titles classified under 5 categories. Here is the descriptions from wikipedia :

• "Justice League" - These titles feature characters related to the Justice League.
  • "Batman" - These titles feature Batman and the "Batman Family" of characters.
  • "Superman" - These titles feature Superman and the "Superman Family" of characters.
  • "Young Justice" - These titles feature teen-aged characters and superhero teams.[97]
  • "The Dark" - These are titles with supernatural, fantasy and horror themes, including titles and characters formerly belonging to the Vertigo imprint.

Batman has always appeared in 3 titles :

• Detective comics - It contains shorter stories of the batman
  • Batman - The main storiline
  • Legend of the Dark Knight - Stories where he's mostly alone and that are not linked in any timeline

Then there are or has been other titles about what is called the "Batfamilly". Here is what the new52 has :

• Batgirl - about Batgirl who's Jim Gordon's daughter
  • Batman & Robin - about batman and the current robin (Damian Wayne his son)
  • Nightwing - about Nightwing who used to be the 1st Robin
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws - About Red Hood who used to be the 2nd Batman
  • ==> the 3rd Batman is Red Robin currently at the head of the Teen Titans

There are also other titles revolving around Batman's univers : Catwoman, Harley, Birds of prey, ...

And it's the same for all the New52 categories. Aside from there main titles, they also publish mini-series and crossovers. Such as Batman Eternal and Future Ends in the new52.

The DC universe has been throu one other reboot in the 1986 after the Crisis on Infinite Earth Arc. So there is a complete and finished timeline from 1986 to 2011. For the Batman chronologie I have a good reference (main stories in bold) : http://www.comicvine.com/batman/4005-1699/forums/batman-tpb-complete-chronology-660225/?page=1

Since I know more about Batman, you can summ it up with one arc : Hush

For a quick overview of the DC univers, I would recommend you to watch there animated movie (there are 24 so far) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies

I would also recommend the serie "Young Justice" - you come acrosse all DC heroes and vilains.

Aside from theire main superheros they have 2 great titles :

• Hellblazer : About John Constanine and Demons (there was a movie with Keanue Reeves)
  • Swamp thing

DC/Vertigo also have some nice one-shots and graphic novels such as

• Watchmen
  • V for vendetta

acekalama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks for all the answers guys! really appreciate it

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash is good for newcomers because it's removed a lot of the Flash family, and the lore is simplified and explained as it goes along. Not to say I dislike pre-Flashpoint Flash in the slightest, but as a newcomer I'd definitely suggest you look at New 52 Flash. Batman and GL titles have kept a lot of their lore and so are harder to pick up as a new reader.

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since the start of the "new" 52 I think justice league has been consistently the best. It's had wide important stories that impact a lot of characters with cool concepts that add to dc lore

Green Lantern is my personnel favorite but that's just because I've collected every issue since 2008 sinestro war

Just depends on what you already read in marvel