Spotlight on: DC Comics: Super-Villains: The Complete Visual History

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

It's the gift-giving season, right? This time of year, many seek items to give to friends and loved ones. Some are even looking for things to add to their own wish lists. The tricky part is finding something that isn't already owned. If you or your loved ones are into comics, it's hard to find the right comic book-related gift. Chances are, they, or you, are already buying the comics of interest. That's where these cool visual coffee table type books come in. For example, DC Comics: Super-Villains: The Complete Visual History by Daniel Wallace.

No Caption Provided

Let's be honest. There are some people that don't read comics and they simply do not understand them. There is that stereotype that comics are just for kids. If you happened to be friends with someone like this and they saw a comic sitting around, they might avoid picking it up. But if there was a fancy hardcover sitting there, they might be more tempted to take a look.

This hardcover was released in October and has 160 pages. The retail price is $50 but you can order it HERE from Amazon for under $33. At 9.25 by 11 inches, it has a nice size to it as well. The information inside may not be brand new material for long time comic readers but the various images and information makes this an interesting read.

No Caption Provided

Pretty much all the information is also available here on our site, but again, despite the availability of comics and websites on digital and mobile devices, there's still something about holding and actual book and flipping through the pages.

If there's one thing DC Comics has, it's a bunch of great villains. We know it's the villains that make the heroes more interesting. Those that don't have a great rogues gallery just aren't as interesting as other super-heroes.

The book is divided into separate chapters. Of course the book starts out with a chapter dedicated to Superman's enemies followed by Batman's.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

As a "visual history" book, there are a lot of great images. Even if you've seen them in comics or on the covers, seeing them take up a full page or in a nice crisp and clear layout. But don't just assume this is only a picture book. There is a lot of information along with the images. It's not just the take of the book's author either. There are plenty of quotes from numerous comic book legends, sharing their thoughts on the characters. There's also the factual history of when the characters first appeared, and so on.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Other chapters focus on Wonder Woman's enemies, big villains (overlords) like Darkseid, Despero, Black Adam, and so on. Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps have their own chapter followed by more street level villains like Deathstroke, Prankster (even the New 52 updated version) and Black Manta. Of course Flash villains get their own chapter. There's one on "mad scientists" such as Doctor Sivana, Professor Ivo, Toyman, and more. This is followed by "Monsters, Experiments, and Freaks and ends with super-villain teams like the Crime Syndicate and Secret Six.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

If all that wasn't enough, there's also an introduction by Kevin Smith and there's a fold out poster (24 by 14 inches) of the book's cover.

Is this a book you need? Maybe, maybe not. It just might be a book you'd want. Despite my years of reading comics, it's always fascinating to read these sort of compiled books to see how everything is presented. There's always some bit of information or an image you haven't seen that's included.

For $33 on Amazon, it's a pretty good deal. It will look good on your coffee table or it'd be a good gift for that comic book reading friend that's just getting into comics. Just be sure to tell them about ComicVine.com as well. We'll have some more spotlight items for the gift-giving season coming up.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Loading Video...

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, first

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

need to get this for xmas

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MuyJingo

I'd like to buy this, it's just that I would never read it...

I wish Amazon would make it clear when you follow a referral...

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

God I love DC's villains

Loading Video...
_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a name error in the article it's Secret Six not sinister six. But it's ok.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

The Green Lanterns have their own chapter in the villain book.

KungFuPurp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like it's worth a buy .. Even tough its decent sized book $33 bucks is a lil pricey for a comic .. That's me anyway ... But It certainly looks like a good buy , I'll end up picking it up...... BTW : DC' does have some pretty awesome villains

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care about WW's villains, why isn't there any mention of Flash villains? And they should do one for the heroes too.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, just awesome.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rustyroy said:

Don't care about WW's villains, why isn't there any mention of Flash villains? And they should do one for the heroes too.

"Of course Flash villains get their own chapter"

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoping I get this for christmas *fingers crossed*

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always thought that DC had the better villains.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Getting it.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By mak13131313

Definitely getting this!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Awesomesauce

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are some of these villains depicted as pre-New 52? Or are the showcasing both before and after?

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

The problem with books like these is they'll never be complete as new villains come out of the woodwork all the time. Would love a series of books. That would be interesting. The Flash Villains Volume 1 or something. Then do one for the main heroes would be pretty cool. Could always do other villains books also.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No hoping ill get this for Christmas for me. I shared this article with my mother and asked if i could get this book for Christmas, and she was like yep. Thank you @G-Man.

naylor11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KungFuPurp Totally agree.. DC has always had great villains...

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

DC has some of the most beast villains ever.

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers