#1 Posted by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello everyone. I want to start off by saying that I'm both new to this site and to reading comic books. I love the DC Universe and I've mainly experienced it through film and video games. However, I recently stumbled across the New 52 and figured it would be an ideal time to start reading.

I went ahead and bought Batman: Volume 1 and Batman & Robin: Volume 1 from Amazon and I'm patiently waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime I bought Action Comics #0, Nightwing #0-1, Greenlantern #1 and Justice League #0-1 digitally. I'm also interested in Detective Comics, Batman the Dark Knight, Batgirl, Redhood and the Outlaws (yes I love Gotham!), the Flash and Swamp Thing.

Now my questions to you are as follows. How many series do you currently read regularly? I fear that my list may be too large to keep up with, both in terms of time and money.

Do you prefer hardcopies or do you buy them digitally? I much prefer having a physical book in my hand when I'm reading. I never got into e-books apart from owning a few for my commute to work on the London Underground. It could be due to the fact that I'm reading on an iPhone and I should just get myself a tablet or e-reader. However, as I live in a one bedroom flat (apartment) with my girlfriend, space is at a premium. If you do buy physical comics, do you prefer hardcovers or paperbacks?

Lastly, what are your current favorite series? Thanks for the help!

#2 Posted by Denam_Pavel (138 posts) - - Show Bio

The 0 issues came out after the first 1-12. A lot of them are meant to read that way (for example Nightwing has Lady Shiva show in #0 then in 14 right after, JLD's 0 issues wasn't written by the writer of 1-6 and clearly is supposed to tie in to later characterisation). Just a warning.

Also Batman is my current favorite series.

#3 Posted by Veshark (8506 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello everyone. I want to start off by saying that I'm both new to this site and to reading comic books. I love the DC Universe and I've mainly experienced it through film and video games. However, I recently stumbled across the New 52 and figured it would be an ideal time to start reading.

I went ahead and bought Batman: Volume 1 and Batman & Robin: Volume 1 from Amazon and I'm patiently waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime I bought Action Comics #0, Nightwing #0-1, Greenlantern #1 and Justice League #0-1 digitally. I'm also interested in Detective Comics, Batman the Dark Knight, Batgirl, Redhood and the Outlaws (yes I love Gotham!), the Flash and Swamp Thing.

Now my questions to you are as follows. How many series do you currently read regularly? I fear that my list may be too large to keep up with, both in terms of time and money.

Do you prefer hardcopies or do you buy them digitally? I much prefer having a physical book in my hand when I'm reading. I never got into e-books apart from owning a few for my commute to work on the London Underground. It could be due to the fact that I'm reading on an iPhone and I should just get myself a tablet or e-reader. However, as I live in a one bedroom flat (apartment) with my girlfriend, space is at a premium. If you do buy physical comics, do you prefer hardcovers or paperbacks?

Welcome to the Vine and comics!

On the question of series, I don't read individual monthly issues. What I do is buy the collected volumes, or the trades. If you don't know, a trade is basically a collection of all the monthly issues into one book.

You usually have to wait for a couple of months after the original issues are first published before the trade comes out, but trades are cheaper, take up less space than issues, are easier to bring around to read, and are more durable. You can also read reviews on trades before you buy them, so you know whether or not a series is worth following. The Batman Volume 1 that you bought off Amazon is an example of a trade.

And I only read physical copies, I can't get into digital at all, it just feels uncomfortable. And trade paperbacks are my preference because hardcovers are a) heavier and so more uncomfortable to hold while reading and b) slightly pricier.

Favorite New 52 series is Aquaman right now (pick it up!). Others include New Avengers and Avengers from Marvel, as well as X-O Manowar and Bloodshot from Valiant Comics.

#4 Posted by The_jackolantern (438 posts) - - Show Bio

I read 38 comics a month.not sure if that's alot or not.i perfer print as I like to be able to hold what I have bought. My fav comics at the moment are chew,detective comics and daredevil.

#5 Edited by Squalleon (2999 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate: there are viners who read up to 45 comics per month! But the average would be 5-20. Personally i am not a fan of the digital format.

I would persuade you to check out these DC titles.

• Green Arrow (don't read issues 1-16, they were horrible. Now GA is one of the best DC titles out there.)
  • Action Comics (until issue 19)
  • Batman
  • Wonder Woman
  • JL
  • JLA
  • JLD (issue 9+)
  • Superman Unchained (it's only three issues in, so it's good for a new reader)
  • Animal Man
  • Swamp Thing
  • Demon Knights
  • Nightwing
#6 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

I like to get my comics in trades. As others have mentioned the 0 issues came out after like issue 12 or 13 I'm not exactly sure. So they don't necessarily belong before issue 1. I definitely recommend getting Detective Comcs, Batman TDK, and Batgirl if you haven't already. I'm reading all three of those and I'm enjoying them.

#7 Posted by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate: Paperbacks are usually cheaper anyways, so I only prefer hardcover when the book's are really thick to avoid damage. I'd also check your local library for some graphic novels, that's what got me into comics when I was a kid. I definitely prefer reading on my tablet than my phone. Also whenever there is a new DC or Marvel movie, video game, tv show coming up they have a 99 cent sale on their respected apps and Comixology, and holiday sales too if you haven't notice.

Now for New 52 series I'm keeping up with,

Batman

Wonder Woman

Action comics

and Green Arrow (started at issue 17).

#8 Edited by darknightspideyfanboy (1032 posts) - - Show Bio

batman

green arrow(17)

AQUAMAN

justice league

JLD

JLA

wonder woman

flash

animal man

swampthing

#9 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5586 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate: I have a 6-title all DC pull-list (made up of Batman, Batman and Robin, Nightwing, Justice League, Aquaman, and The Flash), but I plan on expanding it from 10-12 soon. (Possibly adding Green Arrow from issue 17, Trinity of Sin: Phantom Stranger from issue 1, Trinity of Sin: Pandora from issue 1, Justice League of America from issue 1, Batman/Superman from issue 1, and Superman Unchained from issue 1). You seem to have a good pull list going, but I have to recommend two things: 1) Get Detective Comics issue 1 then wait until Tony Salvador Daniel switches with John Layman on writing. I've only read issue 1, and from what I've heard, it's the only good thing Daniel wrote in his entire run, and the events later tie into the Death of the Family story arc. 2) Don't get Batman: The Dark Knight. From what I've heard, it's absolutley awful.

As for your questions 1) I buy all my comics digitally from Comixology. 2) The order of my favorite series that I'm currently reading is 1: Batman, 2: Aquaman, 3: Justice League, 4: The Flash, 5: Nightwing, 6: Batman and Robin. I really love them all, though.

#10 Posted by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the replies so far and the welcome! And thanks to Denam_Pavel and gator4eva for pointing out the #0 issue, wish I had known earlier!

Wow, I don't know how some of you can keep up with 45+ comics a month! A few of you have recommended Aquaman and Green Arrow. I don't know much about Aquaman apart from that he regularly ridiculed (especially by Family Guy and Big Bang Theory), but I thought he was pretty cool in Injustice: Gods Amoung Us video game. Also is Green Arrow #1-16 still worth reading as I wouldn't want to miss out?

RulerOfThisUniverse, is Batman: The Darknight really that awful? I'm kind of drawn to it as it's involved in the Night of Owls story arc. Or could I just read that particular issue and not miss out?

I think I'm going to go with the recommendation of Trade Paperbacks. Although seeing as I've already bought both Batman, and Batman and Robin Volume 1 in hardcover it's not going to do anything for my (slight) OCD!

#11 Edited by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate said:

Also is Green Arrow #1-16 still worth reading as I wouldn't want to miss out?

No, it's unbearably godawful.

RulerOfThisUniverse, is Batman: The Darknight really that awful? I'm kind of drawn to it as it's involved in the Night of Owls story arc. Or could I just read that particular issue and not miss out?

All of the Batman: The Dark Knight is terrible, including that particular issue. Don't waste money just because it's a crossover.

Best DC titles are Wonder Woman and Green Arrow after issue 17.

#12 Posted by BigL (177 posts) - - Show Bio

I am currently reading

Nightwing

Batgirl

Aquaman

Green Lantern: New Guardians

Red Lanterns

Green Arrow

But I have fallen a couple issues behind on Aquaman and Green Arrow because I'm busy with school. I recommend all of these series but for Green Arrow from issue #17 and for Red Lanterns issue #21. I pick up Batman, and Batman & Robin in trade. I do prefer hard copies to digital but I also buy digital because it is cheaper and more convenient. Batgirl is a very strong title that I'm sure you will enjoy, I personally thought Nightwing started out pretty weak with the first arc but it has gotten a lot better.

#13 Posted by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the replies so far and the welcome! And thanks to Denam_Pavel and gator4eva for pointing out the #0 issue, wish I had known earlier!

Wow, I don't know how some of you can keep up with 45+ comics a month! A few of you have recommended Aquaman and Green Arrow. I don't know much about Aquaman apart from that he regularly ridiculed (especially by Family Guy and Big Bang Theory), but I thought he was pretty cool in Injustice: Gods Amoung Us video game. Also is Green Arrow #1-16 still worth reading as I wouldn't want to miss out?

I think I'm going to go with the recommendation of Trade Paperbacks. Although seeing as I've already bought both Batman, and Batman and Robin Volume 1 in hardcover it's not going to do anything for my (slight) OCD!

Yes Aquaman is really good, I started out on issue 17 for Green Arrow and began reading some of the early issues, it's that bad and there's no real continuity issue so 17 is good for a jumping point. If you prefer the trades then wait for volume 4 of Green Arrow and buy JL: Throne of Atlantis and Aquaman issue 17 and 18 instead of both Throne of Atlantis trades since the JL trade has Aquaman issues 14-16 as well.

#14 Edited by Extremis (2959 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate: I read lots of stuff regularly, none of which is DC. If you are looking for advice mine would be to try out Valiant, Image or Dark Horse. Even Marvel. DC isn't anything special.

#15 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5586 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate: Aquaman is amazing, all the way from issue 1. I regularly ridiculed the character before then, but because of that book he's my third favorite comic book character of all time. From what ice heard, Green Arrow 1-16 were terrible and 17-current are amazing, due to the switch in writers. From what I've heard, they reintroduce everything in issue 17 so you wouldn't be missing out on much.

As for Batman: The Dark Knight, yeah, you should just read the Night of the Owls issue. All the issues in that story arc are much more connected to the main Batman title than to their own series.

#16 Edited by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio

So I decided on:

Batman

Batman and Robin

Nightwing

Batgirl

Green Lantern

Action Comics

Aquaman

The Flash

Wonder Woman

Justice League

Found a good deal on each of the Volume 1 trades. 10 may be too many to start off with but I'm going to give them each a go and see what I like. I also picked up a digital copy of Green Arrow #17 as suggested. I was initially put off by the art style but I enjoyed the story. Thanks for all the advice so far.

I've noticed that the New 52 Green Lantern hasn't really been rebooted. I know a little bit about Hal Jordan's origin story from the animated film Green Lantern First Flight and the Ryan Reynolds movie. Is it fine to just start reading the New 52 series or would you recommend picking up the older series and starting from there? Somebody mention Green Lantern Rebirth as a good jumping on point and moving onto No Fear and then Revenge of the Green Lanterns? Or is worth starting with Emerald Dawn?

Sorry for all the questions!

#17 Posted by Paul2814 (78 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by sagejonathan (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

So I decided on:

Batman

Batman and Robin

Nightwing

Batgirl

Green Lantern

Action Comics

Aquaman

The Flash

Wonder Woman

Justice League

Found a good deal on each of the Volume 1 trades. 10 may be too many to start off with but I'm going to give them each a go and see what I like. I also picked up a digital copy of Green Arrow #17 as suggested. I was initially put off by the art style but I enjoyed the story. Thanks for all the advice so far.

I've noticed that the New 52 Green Lantern hasn't really been rebooted. I know a little bit about Hal Jordan's origin story from the animated film Green Lantern First Flight and the Ryan Reynolds movie. Is it fine to just start reading the New 52 series or would you recommend picking up the older series and starting from there? Somebody mention Green Lantern Rebirth as a good jumping on point and moving onto No Fear and then Revenge of the Green Lanterns? Or is worth starting with Emerald Dawn?

Sorry for all the questions!

I just want to say that you shouldn't restrict yourself to DC! Try Marvel, Valiant, Image, and/or Dark Horse. Enjoy everything and don't be afraid to explore!

#20 Edited by Exia009 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

The lack of Batwoman in this thread is disturbing... There's no better art right now, and although many may argue the story isn't up to par, I think the story is very strong and it's still one of my favorite DC books of the moment. If you take anything from what I'm going to say, take this.

Those are mostly good choices, but I can come up with reasons why Batgirl and Action Comics shouldn't be up there. Green Arrow from #17 has been stellar, I thought the art has been pretty amazing but I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder.

Although DC is my favorite imprint, there's plenty of other books on other labels that are pretty spectacular: New Avengers, Hawkeye, and Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man are pretty standout over at Marvel. Avengers has its very high points, as well, it's certainly been a stronger book than Justice League as far as the "this is the book you read to know what's going on in the universe" goes.

#21 Posted by DTSLanternCorps (240 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate: I would definitely recommend Green Lantern, i just started reading it myself and i'm having a blast reading about the relationship between Hal and Sinestro. Also special recommendation to Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

#22 Edited by DTSLanternCorps (240 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate Woah, take Action comics off of your list and put Superman Unchained.

#23 Edited by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan I hear what your saying about not restricting myself to DC. It's just that being new to comics, the New 52 gave me a decent jumping on point. I do want to pick up a few Marvel titles but I have to idea where to begin. I'm tempted to pick up Deadpool Volume 1 from Marvel Now as well as the Avengers. Thoughts? As for Valiant, Image and Dark Horse, I've never heard of those publishers but I'll take a look.

@exia009 Batwoman was originally on my list, but wanting to restrict it to 10 DC titles for now I took it off it make room for what I posted. I have to agree with you though, from what I've seen that art does look amazing. Seeing as I haven't purchased any Batgirl or Wonder Woman yet I may switch it up for one of them? I've heard good things about Wonder Woman so I may have to scrap Batgirl for now.

@dtslanterncorps I do love Green Lantern. My copy of Green Lantern Rebirth arrived today so I'm going to start with that. As for Action Comics I'm hearing mixed things. Amazon also delivered it this morning so I'm going to give it a go. Besides, Superman Unchained only has 3 issues so far and I'd be waiting for the trade if I were to get it.

Thanks again for all the help.

#24 Posted by sagejonathan (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate: For Marvel, they had an event similar to the New 52 and they called it Marvel NOW. They didn't reboot their comics, but relaunched books from issue 1 a few months ago. So find the titles you are interested in and you can either pick up all the old issues or buy the trades from volume 1.

As for Valiant, Image, Dark Horse, etc. definitely look into them because they have excellent books. Above all I HIGHLY recommend Valiant. I think they are the best publisher out there and they are better than both Marvel and DC. Basically it's a very different take on the superhero genre but its lots of fun. Plus, they rebooted their comics a year and a half ago so you can jump in pretty easily. Here are the titles you should look at; they are all superb and consistent so you can pick whatever interests you the most.

• X-O Manowar
  • Harbinger
  • Bloodshot
  • Archer & Armstrong
  • Shadowman
  • Quantum & Woody
  • Eternal Warrior (Starts this September)
  • Unity (Starts in November)
#25 Posted by DTSLanternCorps (240 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate: As for the Marvel Now titles, i would recommend Superior Spider-Man and Scarlet Spider.

#26 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

Another current DC run that I highly reccomend is Lemire's "Constantine". It's been really great so far (5 or 6 issues) and I highly reccomend it.

#27 Posted by Jaymundo (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@Discopirate I have a huge collection of Marvel and DC comics but I don't tend to read any of the current stuff from either publisher anymore (I do however read the more "classic" stories) You can see what I am reading in my "reading list".

I prefer physical books but space (and my girlfriend) dictate that I must buy digital, unless it's a super special issue of course.

#28 Edited by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan I had a look into those publishers. I'm totally going to have to get started on the Walking Dead. Eternal Warrior looks interesting too.

@dtslanterncorps Took a look at both of those. Looks good, but the number of different Spiderman titles is confusing as hell to me!

@the_red_viper Constantine looks good too. But again, I'm probably going to wait for the trade to come out before taking a proper look.

@jaymundo Speaking of classic stories. Having looked around the site I came across the Blackest Night story arc/event, which looks pretty interested and something I'd want to check out. Being new to comics and starting out with the New 52 I'm worried things might get confusing with continuity etc if I dip into the older stories?

#29 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate: Slow down there, man. You've got plenty to read before "Blackest Night". You need to start with "Green Lantern: Rebirth", then you have around 10 other books to read. I can't remember all of them at the moment, but I'm pretty sure you can read only "Green Lantern: Rebirth", "The Sinestro Corps War" (it's 2 seperate books originally but it's also sold as one book nowadays), and then "Blackest Night". The other two would give you everything you need in a nutshell, I think.

But, if you can afford it, I'd go for the whole Geoff Johns run.

#30 Edited by sagejonathan (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@discopirate: Yes! Definitely pick up The Walking Dead and Eternal Warrior if you can spend the money. You won't regret it.

#31 Edited by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper Don't worry I wasn't going to start off by reading the Blackest Night. I working my way through Green Lantern Rebirth and to be honest I'm finding things a little confusing. @paul2814 posting a link earlier with all the essential Green Lantern trades/collections and there is a lot on there! Good to know that I can get away with just Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War, but I may just go for the whole run.

Also, so I know that Green Lantern, and to a lesser extent, Batman haven't been rebooted. But Green Lantern and Batman meet for the first time in New 52 Justice League #1. How does that work?

#32 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4066 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper Don't worry I wasn't going to start off by reading the Blackest Night. I working my way through Green Lantern Rebirth and to be honest I'm finding things a little confusing. @paul2814 posting a link earlier with all the essential Green Lantern trades/collections and there is a lot on there! Good to know that I can get away with just Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War, but I may just go for the whole run.

Here's the reading order (in here you have the 2 books of Sinestro Corps War, but you can get them both in 1 book):

Not my collection, btw.

#33 Edited by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper Doesn't look as daunting when shown like that, cheers!

So in September all the New 52 DC titles will be replaced by Villain issues. Will these issues be included in their respective trade paperbacks or will I have to purchase the one-shots individually?

Thanks!

#34 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, so I know that Green Lantern, and to a lesser extent, Batman haven't been rebooted. But Green Lantern and Batman meet for the first time in New 52 Justice League #1. How does that work?

Justice league #1 takes place 5 years before current times. All of pre-new 52 stuff that's still canon takes place in that time gap

@the_red_viper Doesn't look as daunting when shown like that, cheers!

So in September all the New 52 DC titles will be replaced by Villain issues. Will these issues be included in their respective trade paperbacks or will I have to purchase the one-shots individually?

Thanks!

They'll probably do a omnibus of the villains month issues in the future but I doubt they'll be included in the TPBs

#35 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

You should get

Aquaman

Wonder Woman

Action Comics( 1-18)

Superman Unchained

Flash

Batman/Superman

#36 Posted by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare I really should have noticed that it takes place 5 years ago...ha, thanks for clearing that up! And thanks for the info on the Villains issues.

@sandman_ Thanks for the recommendations. I've got Aquaman, Action Comics and Flash on my pull list. Looking to add Wonder Woman and I'll take a look at Superman Unchained and Batman/Superman, although I'm pretty sure I'll add them eventually.

#37 Posted by Sporedust (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I am also a huge fan of the DCU, but I strongly encourage you to check out the current core TMNT!! It has been a very good read. Issue 21 is the best place to jump in

#38 Posted by Discopirate (34 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan Thanks for letting me know about Image. I picked up Saga Volume 1 and the Walking Dead Volume 1 and they're both pretty awesome.

@sporedust Thanks for the recommendation. I found Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 for free on comiXology so I'll give it a read!

#39 Edited by sagejonathan (1643 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by FlashKnight (444 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@discopirate said:

Welcome to the Vine and comics!

On the question of series, I don't read individual monthly issues. What I do is buy the collected volumes, or the trades. If you don't know, a trade is basically a collection of all the monthly issues into one book.

You usually have to wait for a couple of months after the original issues are first published before the trade comes out, but trades are cheaper, take up less space than issues, are easier to bring around to read, and are more durable. You can also read reviews on trades before you buy them, so you know whether or not a series is worth following. The Batman Volume 1 that you bought off Amazon is an example of a trade.

And I only read physical copies, I can't get into digital at all, it just feels uncomfortable. And trade paperbacks are my preference because hardcovers are a) heavier and so more uncomfortable to hold while reading and b) slightly pricier.

Favorite New 52 series is Aquaman right now (pick it up!). Others include New Avengers and Avengers from Marvel, as well as X-O Manowar and Bloodshot from Valiant Comics.

Pretty much my same strategy for reading comics