#1 Posted by HammerTron (611 posts) - - Show Bio

I still haven't bought a single issue of the new 52.

I think rebooting the whole universe was an interesting idea, but ultimately a failure because of how short-sighted it was.

They should return to the DC universe that existed before the new 52.

They should provide more pages of story and art for the prices they are charging.

DC simply will not get any more business from me until they can provide the product and service that I expect for what I consider to be a reasonable price.

#2 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@hammertron: Well, to be honest, Marvel, DC AND Image all pump out their fair share of bad books, and also the whole rebooting idea has its pros and cons.

What do you mean 'short-sighted', do elaborate?

I'd like to follow DC's idea for the New 52, because I'd hate to admit it, but I jumped onto the title because it condensed a lot of history to digestible chunks.

The more story and art for the price is always a criticism, but hey! The comic book industry is tough, but then again, its another grey matter.

And plus, DC provides some DECENT material, Batman's always good. Animal Man and Swamp Thing are pretty solid. Aquaman sounds promising.

#3 Edited by Nightwing4 (364 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps your interest would cease to fade if you actually bought/read an issue.

#4 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

I think rebooting the whole universe was an interesting idea, but ultimately a failure because of how short-sighted it was.

They should provide more pages of story and art for the prices they are charging.

DC simply will not get any more business from me until they can provide the product and service that I expect for what I consider to be a reasonable price.

Um....so you're making a suggestion of how DC should run their business without even sampling any of the product that they're currently producing?????? Yeah, that's smart.

Look, I'm not gonna tell you what you should buy, but shouldn't you actually, I dunno, read some of the New 52 comics before you pass judgement on whether or not they should return to the old continuity (some of which is actually still in continuity).

#5 Posted by JairamGanpat (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91 said:

@hammertron said:

Um....so you're making a suggestion of how DC should run their business without even sampling any of the product that they're currently producing?????? Yeah, that's smart.

Look, I'm not gonna tell you what you should buy, but shouldn't you actually, I dunno, read some of the New 52 comics before you pass judgement on whether or not they should return to the old continuity (some of which is actually still in continuity).

You guys need to understand that logic just isn't for everyone and you have to accept that, okay?

#6 Posted by Bushwhacker_ (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah'm loving the New 52. You should check it out.

#7 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

@jairamganpat: God, I know. You know, that's my problem: expecting people on comic book forums to be logical.

#8 Edited by kolejorg (31 posts) - - Show Bio

I've bought literally every issue since the reboot. And with the exception of everything Ann noncenti has touched I've enjoyed it. I'm thankful that after 20 years away from comics an event occurred that allowed me to get back in without being lost. That and having a wife that doesn't hate me spending the money every month. Anyways, I wish you would check out the line before dismissing it.

#9 Posted by JohnnyGat (1568 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow... just wow.

#10 Posted by sinestro_GL (3160 posts) - - Show Bio

TITLE OF THREAD: My Interest in DC is Fading

#11 Posted by HammerTron (611 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that logic is a foreign concept to most comic book collectors and fans.

Someones says they haven't bought any of the new 52 comics from DC, but is some how familiar with the characters?

hmm...

What can we logically deduce from the statement?

Perhaps the person (in this case, me) had bought DC comics before the reboot. This person also read about the planned reboot and understood that the previous continuity and characterizations would be changed, in some cases dramatically.

Perhaps such a person would have heard about what some of those changes were and decided that their decision was, in fact, a logical one which was to not purchase any of the new titles.

The problem with common sense is that it isn't common.

#12 Edited by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

@hammertron: Your interest has "faded away" judging from this statement,not "fading away".

As for the pricing thing....isnt the price of all comics around the same?marvel dc etc?not sure so dont take my word!

as for the new 52 concept!Sure it might be a nightmare for an old fan like yourself but for someone who was looking for an excuse to get into comics.....this was a certain blessing....infact because of the new 52,i now read marvel!

Is the new 52 perfect?Hell no.....even i understand that!!but i am hoping DC will come out of this and it would get better...only thing we can do :)

#13 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

You haven't bought a single issue of the New 52.

INVALID OPINION.

#14 Posted by Black_Claw (2989 posts) - - Show Bio

Well gee, maybe if you would just get up a buy a book maybe you'll be interested in DC again. They a solid number of good books, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and the bat books (except the dark knight) to name a few.

#15 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5431 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Posted by John Valentine (15623 posts) - 2 hours, 21 minutes ago - Show Bio

You haven't bought a single issue of the New 52.

INVALID OPINION.

This

#16 Edited by Akindoodle (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Well then, it's a good thing that an entire company does not cater to every whim of ONE customer isn't it? God forbid that they actually try to become reader friendly with this awful reboot of which you have not purchased a single issue.

#17 Posted by HammerTron (611 posts) - - Show Bio

DC tried to reboot the universe to entice people who said they were intimidated by the high issue numbers.

As children most comic book collectors and fans simply jumped in because of an interesting cover and never even considered the issue number.

Later, when that became an issue, there were many comic book stores that had thousands of back issues to choose from.

DC may not care about my opinion, but they will care about my money. DC might be doing ok for the moment and might not have notice that I've stopped buying their product, but they are going down hill and eventually wonder what happened.

They have to cater to the customers, of which I am one.

#18 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

DC tried to reboot the universe to entice people who said they were intimidated by the high issue numbers.

As children most comic book collectors and fans simply jumped in because of an interesting cover and never even considered the issue number.

Later, when that became an issue, there were many comic book stores that had thousands of back issues to choose from.

DC may not care about my opinion, but they will care about my money. DC might be doing ok for the moment and might not have notice that I've stopped buying their product, but they are going down hill and eventually wonder what happened.

They have to cater to the customers, of which I am one.

1. No. They rebooted because people were intimidated by the mired continuity. Some people don't want to jump into a character if it means that they have to go back and read issues and story arcs that were published years, maybe even decades, ago just to understand what's going on now.

2. Yeah, exactly, you're just ONE customer. You're replaceable.

#19 Edited by BlackReaper (595 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwing4 said:

Words of wisdom.

#20 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

For those who don't want to buy dc for whatever reasons, just support independent comic book creators and other companies.

#21 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

It should be noted that DC has been performing better than in recent years, pre-reboot. It makes perfect sense too, as a lot of long time fans are just too attached to drop them altogether, and they also brought in new fans.

The New 52 is a mixed bag, but as far as DC is concerned it is not unprecedented, as they did the same thing a couple of decades ago. Ive read some books i have really enjoyed, I have read some that werent so great. I think the most annoying thing is that some characters are still in the past continuity, Batman and Green Lantern!, and that shows a lack of commitment on DC's part, makes continuity a STUPID mess, and is insulting to every other character.

I suggest you try reading some of the new books, if only to develop specific complaints that will serve you better in a debate. And I would say never become too entitled, as a consumer, yes you can vote with your wallet, but sometimes the only person you're hurting is yourself. Your lost revenue is a drop in the bucket, and you may be missing out on stories youd really enjoy.

Who doesnt think comic books are too expensive? But its the cost to make comics profitable these days I guess.