#1 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's something for everyone to exercise the old creative muscles!! Post ideas that you think would have improved the New 52.

Here's a few of mine.

Idea 1: NO EARTH 2!!! No. The New 52 is a reboot. As such, no alternate universes this early on.

Idea 2: Superheroes have existed since the 40's in the New 52, however the public at large did not know it. The Justice Society of America was a secret organization of mystery men and women, protecting the world from threats they didn't know existed. Legends sprang up about them, like people in Gotham saying they were saved by a mysterious green light, but to thieving scum of the city it was known as the Green Lantern.

In Keystone City, a mysterious invisible force was bashing criminal heads, always followed by a gush of wind. The most the witnesses could make out was a red, blue, and gold flash. And so the mysterious entity was dubbed The Flash.

Ted "Wildcat" Grant was well known inside the ring for having a mean right hook, but few knew how he prepared for his matches. It was simple, he moonlighted as a vigilante, using an old cat costume he wore to a Halloween party to hide his identity.

Dr. Kent Nelson was once a worldrenown archaeologist, but upon discovering the Helmet of Nabu in an ancient pyramid in Egypt, he left the public eye. The area where his secluded private home was located, now is the location of a tall stone-tower. No one ever dared to venture through the mysterious forest to reach the tower, but occasionally they saw a gold glowing figure fly away from it. Whenever petty practitioners of magic threatened the innocent, they would find that Fate was not on their side.

Using his vast intellect a Dr. Rex Tyler has created the a serum that would give someone fantastic powers upon consumption. The serum grants the user a new ability every hour. Soon after making that discovery, a mysterious hooded man appeared in Appleton City. Out of these mystery men he was the most public. He was seen using super strength to crush cars, flying faster than a plane, melting walls with fire blasts or freezing criminals in their tracks with ice beams, or even peering into the future with his future sight. No matter what time it is, could always count on The Hourman!

Idea 3: Billy Batson has been alive and active as Captain Thunder since the 40's. He has protected Fawcett City for years. The city itself is magical in nature. Fawcett City, the city that forgets: a modern Neverland, long-ago magically locked away from age, death and despair, and complete with its own Peter Pan in the form of Billy Batson. No one in Fawcett City has aged since the 40's and, like Billy, they forget that any time has passed at all because things "have always been there" even if they weren't yesterday, and the the city itself has some magical qualities in common with Neverland via Shazam's enchantment. This stops however due to the return of Black Adam and the childlike, young, and innocent Billy must face the darker world outside the once idealistic Fawcett City. However Captain Thunder is determined to show the modern world a........brighter side to life. Eventually he meets Freddy Freeman and Mary Batson. He and Mary instantly form a brother/sister relationship and he and Freddy become fast friends. Soon he shares with them the powers of Shazam, with Mary becoming Mary Marvel and Freddy becoming Lieutenant Thunder.

#2 Posted by darkman61288 (722 posts) - - Show Bio

New characters that become the focus of the DC universe. Whole new heroes that become a new Trinity, who live in new cities fight new villians, and have whole new love interests.

#3 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it!

One of the best aspects of post Crisis was the connection of history between the original and contemporary heroes. Your premise would set up so much story between the ideology of mystery men shrouded in myth and the brashness of youth showing off or evolving to be transparent to the public. Echoes and growth from the seeds of Dark Knight Returns and Kingdom Come proven hits with themes full of exploration. JSA may have various opinions on JLA public displays either wanting them to follow the closeted behind the scenes practices, protecting public's sense of security, embracing the new way, or wanting the new generation to be more careful protecting the world from collateral damage.

I love the idea of Billy Batson having to deal with the real world crashing in on his Mayberry type society. The irony of where that journey would take him and to what lengths he may go to preserve it. Perhaps, he would use the powers of Shazam to splinter off an Earth 2 where things were more black and white and different. DC has never really explored how a divergent parallel universe could result from someone's or events while still keeping the template universe intact.

You asked for ideas.

Idea A: Higher beings and Booster Gold family are still aware of the multiverse and traverse it exploring the complexities of DC and its rich history as well as the drama behind the curtain of continuity and certainty.

Idea B: WW traditional paradise island Amazons need a counterpart of warrior/conqueror men preferring control over peace-- perfect counterpoint would be a more aggressive and also secret/otherworldly Atlantis with their champion/Aquaman. Both Arthur and Diaba would be am ambassadors at cross purposes and both becoming more complex with their interaction and assimilation into the outside world. They both have connections to gods, fantasy and world power.

Idea C: Play off the core success of the New Teen Titans. They were sidekicks leading the next generation of heroes. This is the one group that has ties to every aspect of the DCU. JSA and JLA are both impressed and fearful of how well they operate and are embraced by the current generation. And a few of its members should naturally graduate into the bigger leagues. This Cyborg would be part of JLA with his rich past and generational contrast. Raven, also grown from her pre- new 52 established history, should be part of the JLD universe.

Idea D: Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman don't have to stay in their early to mid 20s to be relevant or cool. These three acting like hotheaded teenagers or novices is not becoming, especially when they are portrayed next to newer characters who are distinctly younger but not depicted only a year or few months younger.

Idea E: Please stop retelling the same basic first time/first meeting/old but now new character stories. It implies there isn't a new story to be told but just a new writer retelling someone else's previously fresh idea. If a writer has a fresh idea, then prove it with a new character and fresh story. Grow the DC brand, don't just recycle it.

Idea F: People behind DC should know its blueprint and continuity before presenting stories. Like it or not, continuity exists with each story/issue. Tripping over it is not cool or ingenious-- it is sloppy and a disservice to intelligent readers. Don't let history scare you in fantasy where anything is possible. Anyone who has to start over make believe fails to get the concept on which fantasy is based. So, please give readers great editors!

#4 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1197 posts) - - Show Bio

@smart_dork_dude: Maybe have Batman and Robin be around before Superman, but not known to the public until Superman came around. After Superman came around the cities of the DCU tried to keep a eye out for superheroes in their city. That's when Batman and Robin were spotted. Doing this means that all the Robins could've been Robins.

#5 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri: Excellent!!

Really things like dividing their Golden Age heroes into other universes hinders potential stories!!!

Speaking of, did you know that for a time Power Girl wasn't Superman's cousin from an alternate universe and was instead retconned as a superpowered Atlantian from thousands of years ago, before the Atlantians adapted to breathing underwater who had been in suspended animation all that time?

Yeah, I prefer that origin for her more than her actual cannon origin where she's from the alternate universe. Why? It's less nonsensical!!! I mean, THAT origin pretty much fixed any kind of continuity problems!!! As for explaining why she would have Kryptonian-like powers, if Marvel can have an alien race with powers like a Kryptonian's(Gladiator's race), then who's to say another race couldn't have existed on Earth with similar powers? Or perhaps she was a mutant Atlantian? Either way, it would make for more interesting stories.

Point is, they keep making the same mistakes with their characters.The most Marvel does is have characters from alternate timelines come in to live in the main timeline, but not entirely different universes!!!! It's not necessary or required for Power Girl to be related to the Superman Family, well at least by blood. They could have worked in a great parallel between her and Supergirl as both are now living in alien worlds. Karen's world is now gone and the current Atlantis is nothing like it was before so she could connect with Kara on that aspect, with both of them working together to adapt to a new world. But nope, she's just multidimensional doppelganger

#6 Edited by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally West

#7 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

I want them to reintroduce every character from the old universe into the new 52.

Shed some light on the messed up timeline, especially with all the robins that Batman has had in about five years.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32864 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like any of these ideas

#9 Posted by Lvenger (18445 posts) - - Show Bio
  • If they want to have their cake and eat it, they needed to have a longer timeline (at least 8-10 years) to have their continuity intact from most damage. It might make their heroes older but it keeps their history intact.
  • Reintroduce characters in a way that keeps their uniqueness intact but actually gives a fresh interpretation of them. Like James Robinson has been doing with Earth 2
  • Less editorial interference and more creative freedom to tell the kind of stories creators most want to tell that would satisfy fan demands.
#10 Posted by waezi2 (6853 posts) - - Show Bio

Let Kyle Rayner and Connor Hawke be Green Arrow and Lantern instead of Hal and Olly. The reason they weren't as popular as their predecessors were because of nostalgia. It wont be a problem with new readers.

#11 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1197 posts) - - Show Bio

@smart_dork_dude: I don't think it having the Golden Age heroes on another Earth was that bad during the Silver Age, but now I think they work best being on the same world. And I am would be totally fine with Justice Society being on Earth 2 if they didn't modernize them. Justice League is the modern Justice Society.

#12 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2616 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

They could change Raven's costume back to the original.

#14 Posted by dbatdog (533 posts) - - Show Bio

remove the 5 years ago crap...

...more creative team freedom...

...jim lee drawing monthly book again...

#15 Edited by Black_Claw (2915 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Get rid of the five year storyline

2. Give Cyborg a new design, his own book, and have him be written to be a remotely interesting character instead of just being the team bus.

3. Have Superman and Wonder Woman break up.

4. Let John Rozum have complete creative freedom with Static Shock and most importantly MOVE HIM BACK TO DAKOTA (and bring in villains from the show like Ebon).

5. Bring Ares back to life and have him be a bad guy again.

6. Get Scott Lobdell off of Teen Titans.

7. Bring back Wally West and instead of being the flash he can simply have a unique superhero identity of his own. Think of it as being The Flash's Nightwing.

#16 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (12583 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2 said:

Let Kyle Rayner and Connor Hawke be Green Arrow and Lantern instead of Hal and Olly. The reason they weren't as popular as their predecessors were because of nostalgia. It wont be a problem with new readers.

Kyle was pretty popular at first, they only replaced him after his books sales dropped.

#17 Posted by waezi2 (6853 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12583 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by comicbookfan93 (397 posts) - - Show Bio

Keeping batwoman away from the bat family

#20 Edited by ChiSoxRox (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Marrying Mera and Aquaman, and having Maggie and Kate Kane marry with Kate learning to be a stepmom to Jamie Sawyer.

#21 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Get rid of the five year storyline

2. Give Cyborg a new design, his own book, and have him be written to be a remotely interesting character instead of just being the team bus.

3. Have Superman and Wonder Woman break up.

4. Let John Rozum have complete creative freedom with Static Shock and most importantly MOVE HIM BACK TO DAKOTA (and bring in villains from the show like Ebon).

5. Bring Ares back to life and have him be a bad guy again.

6. Get Scott Lobdell off of Teen Titans.

7. Bring back Wally West and instead of being the flash he can simply have a unique superhero identity of his own. Think of it as being The Flash's Nightwing.

#22 Edited by Baron_BJ (117 posts) - - Show Bio

@crazyscarecrow said:

@smart_dork_dude: Maybe have Batman and Robin be around before Superman, but not known to the public until Superman came around. After Superman came around the cities of the DCU tried to keep a eye out for superheroes in their city. That's when Batman and Robin were spotted. Doing this means that all the Robins could've been Robins.

That's what they're doing already, granted instead of 5 years they've said it's around 6 or 7 years which still doesn't work at all, but hey, it's there.

OT: What changes would I make? Allow me to list them in no particular order:

1. We find Ann Nocenti, Paul Levitz, Dan Dedio Scott Lobdell and then proceed to fire them from a cannon into the sun. Failing that we never let any of them write again because none of them are any good. At all. No, I don't care that Scott Lobdell is apparently a really nice guy in real life, that doesn't mean I want to read what can most charitably be described as "vomiting through a pen". If being "A Really Nice Guy" meant ****ing ANYTHING when it came to writing talent then Alan Moore wouldn't be considered a living legend; Alan Moore is apparently an angry, passive-aggressive jerk, but nobody cares because he has the talent to back it up, something the writers I've listed here all lack (No, I don't care that there was a time in their lives that they didn't blow harder than a hooker in a wind tunnel, I'm concerned with the fact that they waste paper TODAY).

2. I say this as a 20 year old, make the characters their proper ages, Superman has almost always been portrayed as being in his mid-thirties or so, same with Batman, not to mention Green Arrow, their age reduction feels completely unnatural and doesn't jive with their histories at all, but I guess that doesn't matter since their histories now make no sense anyway.

3. I like the idea that was mentioned earlier about the JSA being a part of the world since the 40's, it really gives the world more pathos and potential for great stories (It has the problem of why these people would wear costumes more elaborate than maybe a black, full-body jumpsuit, but I'm willing to let that slide). It's a really difficult pill to swallow that "No, fo' realsies, these people only started appearing publicly recently", I'd understand if the sightings were incredibly rare, to the point that a lot of people considered these to be the equivalent of global ghost stories or just some random guys who had read Green Hornet as a kid and thought he'd try it out (Not like Batman, but like some people have done in real life, you've seen these guys get the crap kicked out of them on the nightly news), but that's not what happened, sure you get crap like what's happening with Superman Unchained at the moment, but that sort of thing is still problematic and tedious (oh noes, the guvment secretly knew all along).

4. The Super family needs to be smaller, I saw an earlier poster mentioned changing Power Girls origin back to a previous one, I like that; with the DC universe and its approach to insanely powerful aliens who look identical to humans I always thought that they were going to do some awesome overarching plot about how some force out there seems to be targeting "humans" throughout the universe for so many years, but they've never really bitten on this. Changing Power Girl to this sort of thing only means good things; It makes what few Kryptonians remain matter, it adds more diversity, gives more story potential, hell it may even give a humanoid extinction plot that you know DC would milk with some event.

5. No Multiple titles for characters. Take your multiple Batman titles and blow it out your ****. Give me double or even weekly shipping, get a writer/artist team who are skilled at what they do (only flaghship characters get this type of treatment anyway) and have them only do that one book. It gets rid of all confusion, we'd be more likely to have good books (A lot of the Batman books since launch have been SOOOOOO bad, imagine if Snyder had limited himself purely to pumping out Batty goodness, yes we'd have lost his glorious runs on other books, looking at you Swamp Thing, but I think it would have done a lot of good). I may be wrong with this next statement, but I think it would also help newcomers be less scared by the book, You can say "Oh yeah, we've got a ****load of Batman books, this is the main one, these ones may matter a little or might not, oh no wait, this major thing happened in that book" or you can say "Batman has one book, but it comes out each week".

6. This is one everyone will dogpile me for, but I'm that guy who thinks Superman is overpowered, but then I think DC as a whole is overpowered, yeah metas tend to scale in correlation to one another, but they devalue humans to the point of hilarity and the physics make no sense (at least pretend they matter a little). This video is everywhere now, but it illustrates the point best because it comes up EVERY time Superman or other metas in his range have to fight and it happens in strength ranges way before this as well. Scaling EVERYTHING down could still leave Superman with that "God-like Man" story telling potential that people always say is part of his character, but it would also mean more when someone strong comes along; let's say that Superman, on his best day and with a lot of effort, can lift a really big sky-scraper, that's still obscenely strong (stronger than I would make him, but I know people like it ridiculous), but when villains come along that are more powerful than him (eg. Darkseid) you can actually SHOW it, (even if by just making it so that he can lift the same building without breaking a sweat), you can't really show that the character is more powerful than him in a real, substantive way when Superman can "benchpress the planet" (once again, blow me Lobdell) outside of just showing "ermagerd ma punch didn't phase him, how can this be?". There's also the problem of certain characters powers making them unstoppable unless writers ignore them (Superman is a character with this problem), sometimes weakening the character is the best thing for story opportunities. Also, before anyone says "It's comics, they don't have to make sense", please proceed to keep your mouth shut, that response is a complete cop-out and you know it.

I have more things I could whine about and suggest, but I'm just going to stop here.

#24 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1197 posts) - - Show Bio

@baron_bj: 1. I kinda agree with you there. However I don't think they should be murdered, but I get your point.

2. Agree with that too

3. Agreed

4. Sure!

5. Agree except I still want Action Comics and Detective Comics around. Mainly because of how historical the books are and how they are the only 2 original comic book series still around.

6. I don't care really

#25 Edited by StrangeMan (407 posts) - - Show Bio

Planning.

That's the only thing that would've improved the N52, it's already been stated by some writers and artists that they were told of the plans for the reboot mere months before it happened, and it really shows, the grand majority of its books seem as they were written in a 5 minute improv class, only a handful actually know what they're going for.