Earth 2 heroes are a weak hopeless lot aren't they?

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Been thinking about this for a while since the first issue. Putting aside the deaths of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman the ones that were left couldn't do much to stop the Earth 2 world government from locking most of them up and I think they might have been better off. From what I've been reading in Earth 2 they could barely win against Darksieds former lackeys and now after reading World's Finest it seems their fate is to be the plaything of a bratty little girl or meat puppets for Brother Eye with no hope of that changing anytime soon if I read the solicits correctly. It seems their world ends and if they don't end up with the girl or the sattelite they'll be in Cadmus either being experimented on, having implants put in them or the lucky ones may just end up plain dead and the people they tried to help from their own world are Earth 1's better-off-dead refugees.

In the pre-crisis the Earth 2 heroes were just about equal to the Earth 1 heroes, this sad lot doesn't look like it could stop a bank robbery. It's frustrating because I did like the Power Girl pre-reboot and I managed to get to like this one as well, but now that she's going to be nothing more than a plaything... I just don't see much point in following a group that DC obviously is going to cast as permanent losers.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: you must be new to comic but future end wont happen

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: didnt she say 50 sue might be darksied daughter and looking at her power she might be

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not not new to comics but from what I've heard in interviews this is going to stick. At any rate we're well into this story and I have yet to see the Earth 2 heroes do anything but run, hide or be captured. If there is a good end to this story I don't think it'll be any of them that make the difference.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By righteous300

@darknightspideyfanboy said:

Dan Didio and Jim Lee said that they will be going in that direction and that it will effect the major DC universe, but with some minor changes because of time travel and other stuff.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/09/jim-lee-dan-didio-talk-dc-comics-past-present-and-futures-end

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing of it is with something like Flashpoint I knew it would stay (though I hated it anyway and not just because they had Diana murder Billy Batson), but with Earth 2 they don't have to worry about it the same way. With Flashpoint I knew they wouldn't keep Diana a murderer, but with Earth 2 I think the idea of having it as a permanent dystopia with useless heroes fighting futile battles might have an appeal to them. So far we've seen Jimmy Olsen just go from one prison on his world to a different prison on another world, hardly a lot of progress for him.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: flashpoint staying?

@mrtummytumms: dude -_- the onlything lee and dido doing are teasing next year event by saying future end might happen but it wont somehow the hero change the future so future end wont come to be pretty much like AoU

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: That pretty much confirms that they're going in the direction of Future's End and so on. From World's End to the war with Earth 2. Which is pretty much all you hear about in Future's End.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a daughter of Darkseid mentioned in the Vibe series. But I'd be surprised if Fifty Sue really is Darkseid's daughter because as powerful as Darkseid is, Fifty Sue seems to be way more powerful in that she exhibits seemingly any power she wants to and therefore you can't ask what she can do, but have to ask what can she not do, to which the only correct answer is an "I don't know." Meanwhile, what can Darkseid do? He's as strong as Superman and can kill and resurrect people with his eyes. I don't see a comparison.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@kilowog52: What ever she is I'm not sure if she was the one who captured all of the Earth 2 heroes. Power Girl 2 mentioned that Cadmus had been perverting science and Kara spotted the spare parts morgue made up of body parts so Sue could be a weapon that they made from those spare parts. But the issue itself and the ones preceding it have made the Earth 2 heroes look pretty pathetic as far as effectiveness goes. Kara was taken down easily and spotted more easily by Deathstroke and in FE 19 she's easily incapacitated for a few seconds by Deathstroke. All through this the heroes of Earth 2 have been as about effective as a girl scout troop. Even if they reset all this so it doesn't happen on Earth 1 I can see them leveling Earth 2 as a wasteland and the heroes still being ineffective there. From the start of Earth 2 and the deaths of the big 3 the remaining and emerging heroes of that Earth haven't been shown to be as good as the heroes of Earth 1.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kilowog52:

Meanwhile, what can Darkseid do?

If your referring to pre-52 who is the same version as pre-crisis then he can bring people back from the dead, travel through time, create universes for people to live out there worst nightmares, create reality warping devices (the ancestor box was his personalized mother box) and exists in multiple places at once.

Darkseid wasn't altered by crisis, the 4th world was shown to be unchanged as it exists outside time and space. The DS Superman fought until FC was a fragment of the real thing.

It hasn't been confirmed if New 52 is still the same version but it has been confirmed that the Darkseid War has him fighting the Anti-Monitor.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

1. Been thinking about this for a while since the first issue. Putting aside the deaths of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman the ones that were left couldn't do much to stop the Earth 2 world government from locking most of them up and I think they might have been better off.
  2. From what I've been reading in Earth 2 they could barely win against Darksieds former lackeys and now after reading World's Finest it seems their fate is to be the plaything of a bratty little girl or meat puppets for Brother Eye with no hope of that changing anytime soon if I read the solicits correctly. It seems their world ends and if they don't end up with the girl or the sattelite they'll be in Cadmus either being experimented on, having implants put in them or the lucky ones may just end up plain dead and the people they tried to help from their own world are Earth 1's better-off-dead refugees.
  1. Those who have been locked up of the heroes in Futures/Worlds End are the survivors that are left on Earth-1 and are locked up by Cadmus rather than any single government. On Earth-2, before Superbizarro, the planet seemed to have locked down all the villains tight, tighter than Earth-1 has managed.
  2. That's more or less down to Tom Taylor not being able to tell when he is writing Injustice or Earth-2, but they pulled through in the end.

@darknightspideyfanboy said:

Dan Didio and Jim Lee said that they will be going in that direction and that it will effect the major DC universe, but with some minor changes because of time travel and other stuff.

The chances aren't good that most of this stuff will actually come to pass. Mostly because 5 years in comics can easily span decades for us readers, and I doubt anyone thinks DC can keep going in the same direction for that long. Especially considering how they pretty quickly seem to drop or change major plots like the Demonites infestation, Pandora's doings with the universe and so on.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: From what I could tell about the Earth 2 world after the attack their world government locked up just about everyone with any sort of power whether they were good guys or bad guys, which put them in a terrible situation at the end of that story arc. But in both cases the super powered folk of Earth 2 seem to be nothing but prison bound no matter where they go. Perhaps it's just nostalgia for the old Earth 2 but I'd like them to at least put up a bit of a fight and I don't see that yet.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Outside_85

@mark_stephen: Thing was though, that after the death of the Trinity and the disappearance of Robin and Supergirl, Earth-2 was apparently left with the enemies of the Trinity and still being influenced by the likes of Terry Sloan. We don't actually know why Aquawoman and Olsen were locked up, but despite how we right now see them as heroes, it's also likely that they are only like that because it currently suits them (as in also having a vested interest in having a world to live on without being brainwashed).

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I don't think so. I think Aquawoman was locked up because the world government wanted someone else on her throne and Jimmy was locked up because he was trying to discover some secrets. Hard to tell, I don't have the issues handy right now. But it does look like the Earth 2 heroes are very easily captured, locked up and held.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I don't think so. I think Aquawoman was locked up because the world government wanted someone else on her throne and Jimmy was locked up because he was trying to discover some secrets. Hard to tell, I don't have the issues handy right now. But it does look like the Earth 2 heroes are very easily captured, locked up and held.

Hmm, well I have to concede that the World Army/Government runs a very hard line after the war with Apokolips, with a George Bush "Either with us or against us." policy. But I have to point out that Olsen stealing government secrets is a crime even here, that's one thing, the other is that Aquawoman reminds me a little more of Mera than Arthur regarding Atlantean policies towards the surface world (as in not really caring about it before something bad lands in the ocean).

If they are easily captured and held... that's a guess really, we don't know how they were captured or how tough it was for the World Army to pull off.

All in all, I am more disappointed in how Taylor made Earth-2 look like it was incapable of surviving without a Batman and Superman than I am at the World Army.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: There is that. From the looks of that first issue that world only had Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Robin may have been known but I don't think Supergirl was. I do wonder how the Joker and Lex Luthor of Earth 2 reacted to the invasion. Much as I'll miss the Huntress/Power Girl stories I am hoping to learn a bit more of the history of Earth 2 in World's Finest.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Outside_85

@outside_85: There is that. From the looks of that first issue that world only had Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Robin may have been known but I don't think Supergirl was. I do wonder how the Joker and Lex Luthor of Earth 2 reacted to the invasion. Much as I'll miss the Huntress/Power Girl stories I am hoping to learn a bit more of the history of Earth 2 in World's Finest.

On Earth-2 Bruce was married to Catwoman and had Helena (Robin, later Huntress) with her... which is why I have damn hard telling which Earth we are on at times in Batman/Superman. Supergirl->PG was indeed known, but Superman was quite protective of her because of the early loss of Lois to the Apokolips invasion.

But the Trinity wasn't the only 'Wonders' there (named as such because Wonder Woman was the first of them, and apparently decades older than Bruce and Clark), which you need to read the Earth-2 zero issue for, but besides them, you had Mister Eight (Sloan), Robin, Supergirl and someone else they only refer to as the 'Unmentionable' before Sloan betrays/sacrifices them all.

I cant say how the Joker reacted, if he did or if Lex even existed. But the general impression from the opening Batman/Superman story was that the Earth-2 heroes were both older, more experienced and more powerful than their Earth-1 counterparts.

No Caption Provided